- Texas House Avoids Voucher Vote in Budget Debate
- Apr 1, 5:10 AM: The Texas House was poised to take a vote Tuesday on banning private school vouchers as it took up the state budget. But about nine hours into the budget debate, the lawmaker carrying the measure withdrew it from consideration.
- Texas ranks 25th (CER in the news)
- Mar 30, 9:22 AM: The Center for Education Reform released their education scorecards for 2015 last week, with Texas earning a C grade.
- Patrick defends private school tax credits and vouchers
- Mar 27, 5:11 AM: Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick appeared before a Senate panel Thursday to rebut criticism that bills creating private school tax credits and vouchers in Texas would directly threaten the state’s public schools.
- TX Parent Trigger Update
Lawmakers seek to expand "parent trigger" law allowing parents to petition to make changes at child's school. Law already on books applies only schools rated unacceptable for five years straight. Union opposes, others say law >
Mar 20, 5:43 AM:
- Texas “parent trigger bill” would pave way for privatizing public schools
- > Mar 20, 5:25 AM: SB 14 by Sen. Larry Taylor—the so called “parent trigger bill”–is a part of a package of bills that would pave the way for privatizing public schools, said Texas AFT President Louis Malfaro, commenting on today’s hearing on the bill
- Bill would give Dallas ISD some options from failed home-rule proposal
- Mar 11, 6:10 AM: Just months after efforts to transform Dallas ISD into a home-rule charter failed, a new bill filed in the Texas Legislature proposes to overhaul the district with some of the same options.
- Texas Teachers Converge On State Capitol To Lay Out Agenda
- Mar 10, 5:35 AM: Teachers went from office to office to speak with legislators and their staff about bills addressing school-related issues. The one bill that produced the biggest cries for change was a call to fully fund Texas.
- Patrick proposes education overhaul plan
- Mar 4, 6:12 AM: Top legislative conservatives clamoring for Texas to adopt a school choice voucher plan proposed a series of other education changes instead Tuesday that are less controversial but could still spark heated debates.
- Charter school’s faculty helps students transition to college
- Mar 2, 10:15 AM: Some high schools have a simple mission: Teach the students, hand them a diploma and wish them well. Then there is Dallas Can Academy’s Pleasant Grove campus.
- More charter schools at risk of losing state accreditation
- > Mar 2, 10:14 AM: More San Antonio charter schools this year are in danger of losing their state accreditation after failing to meet academic accountability standards, getting dinged on their financial ratings or both, according to data released by
- TX Plans For The Future
Governor sees education plan as key to sustainable future. Priorities include quality preK, career pathways in higher education, nothing specific on school choice. Critics decry lack of funding increase to public schools.
Feb 17, 5:51 AM:
- TX Advocates Eye Voucher, Tax Credit Programs
Political climate and legislative makeup appears favorable towards school choice efforts. Advocates hopeful due to lieutenant governor leading efforts. Heavy backlash still to be expected.
Feb 10, 5:08 AM:
- Prime Prep Academy troubles continue after closing
- Feb 9, 7:53 AM: Prime Prep Academy is gone but not forgotten. Record-keeping problems and general confusion have caused trouble for some parents and students as they moved to new schools last week.
- School choice advocates rally at Capitol
- > Feb 2, 9:09 AM: With yet another legislative battle over private school vouchers looming, hundreds of students, parents and lobby groups representing private, charter, parochial and magnet schools across the state descended on the Capitol Friday to
- Students shed light on charter school
- > Jan 30, 6:55 AM: Some students told their stories about how they dropped out of school and would not have gone back until they found Huston Academy. One student told her story on how she’s the only person in her family that will have her high school
- East Texas private, public school leaders differ over vouchers
- Jan 30, 6:24 AM: State Rep. David Simpson of Longview says he doesn’t believe using public tax dollars to pay for private education is “proper."
- TX School Choice Week Capitol Visit
Educators, parents, students and other advocates will gather Friday at the Capitol for school choice rally. Event expected to be largest ever of its kind. Students represent number of different types of schools.
Jan 30, 5:54 AM:
- Is school choice an option for all?
- Jan 29, 5:50 AM: Anahi Jaimes says she is lucky to have two of her children in public charter schools, an option that better fits their needs.
- Prime Prep board unable to meet and surrender charter
- Jan 27, 7:18 AM: Prime Prep Academy’s futile six-month effort to avoid closure ended Monday evening with an equally futile attempt to surrender its charter.
- Texas lawmakers face another round of school choice bills
- Jan 26, 5:54 AM: It’s an ongoing and hot topic: Should families be able to move their kids – with property tax dollars – to private schools or other school districts?