- HISD gives second life to troubled charter school
- Apr 15, 7:15 AM: A local charter school ordered closed by the state after three years of poor academic ratings on Thursday received a rare lifeline from the Houston ISD board.
- New Education Chief Overhauls Top of Agency
- Apr 15, 6:11 AM: Three months after his swearing in, Education Commissioner Mike Morath announced his picks Thursday for several new deputy commissioner positions he created as part of a sweeping reorganization of the Texas Education Agency.
- HISD may take over troubled charter school
- > Apr 14, 6:37 AM: Five months ago, the Texas Education Agency announced it was ordering the closure of the Victory Prep charter school network, citing three straight years of poor academic performance. Now, leaders of the Houston Independent School
- District looking at innovative plan
- > Apr 12, 6:22 AM: The Mansfield school district is looking at ways to fine-tune start times, schedules and hiring, thanks to a resolution approved by the Texas Legislature. House Bill 1842 gives local school districts who become Districts of
- Charter schools turn away thousands in Texas
- Apr 8, 5:25 AM: Business is booming at Texas charter schools. The independently operated public campuses continue to grow — and so do the waiting lists to get in.
- Cash-strapped charter schools vie for federal development funds
- > Apr 6, 6:37 AM: For two decades, the Houston charter school started by the Rev. Bill Lawson and his now-late wife, Audrey, has educated students without a space of its own - first renting a spot from Texas Southern University, then moving to St.
- Charter school said it won’t make a ‘big impact’ on local districts
- Apr 4, 6:25 AM: A representative of an open-enrollment charter school looking into opening a Wichita Falls campus said it does not believe the school will impact local districts significantly.
- EISD keeping eye on vouchers
- > Mar 30, 5:52 AM: Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick has made it clear that his tax-credit scholarship program will be a top priority for him for the 2017 legislative session, and his proposed voucher system could impact funding for the Elgin
- WFISD: Charter School a Negative Impact
- Mar 29, 6:30 AM: The possibility of a charter school coming to the Wichita Falls area was shot down by the WFISD Board of Trustees tonight.
- Houston charter system chooses next CEO
- Feb 22, 7:47 AM: The next CEO of YES Prep Public Schools will be Mark DiBella, the system's current superintendent, the group announced Sunday.
- Compass groundbreaking attracts hundreds
- > Feb 22, 6:45 AM: Heralded by bubbles and balloons, Compass Academy Charter School broke ground on a new campus Friday on land near CrossRoads Fellowship church. Between 500 and 600 people turned out for the event that was about eight years in the
- Charter school prepares for August opening in Katy
- Feb 10, 7:03 AM: Prompted by local parents, a public charter school promising academic rigor and a focus on languages for children in kindergarten through eighth grade is planned for Katy.
- New charter school coming to NRH
- Feb 8, 7:49 AM: The International Leadership of Texas charter school group will open a campus in North Richland Hills this August, adding to the campuses it already has in Arlington, far north Fort Worth and other parts of Texas.
- Charter school ‘beacon of hope’ for children, Oak Cliff neighborhood, backers say
- > Feb 8, 6:24 AM: Abandoned and neglected wards of Dallas County lived there, followed by juveniles in trouble for offenses from truancy to attempted murder. Then the lot sat vacant, blending in with the run-down area surrounding it. But now, the
- Katy touted as “hot spot” for private education options
- Feb 5, 5:55 AM: Katy might just be your best bet If you want options when it comes to your child's schooling.
- CPS: Charter school concept not a failure as Austin HS consolidates
- Feb 2, 6:12 AM: A little over 10 years ago Austin High School closed, replaced by three smaller schools under the Renaissance 2010 charter school model.
- Dallas City Council Approves Controversial Charter School
- Jan 28, 6:50 AM: Dallas Independent School District Trustee Joyce Foreman led the opposition. She said 27,000 kids who could be in Dallas public schools already attend charter schools, taking with them state-per-pupil funding.
- North Texas charter schools on the rise as critics oppose new Dallas campus
- Jan 27, 7:19 AM: A simple request to open a new campus in southwest Dallas has morphed into a public referendum on the charter school movement in North Texas — but parents started voting with their feet years ago.
- Katy ‘the place to be’ for private and charter schools
- Jan 27, 6:07 AM: Katy is branded as an education hub mainly because of its top-ranked public school district, but private schools have become significant in the community as an alternative source for education.
- Mayor backs charter school expansion in Southwest Dallas
- Jan 26, 6:51 AM: Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings gave his support Monday to the expansion of a charter school in Southwest Dallas.