- Cash-strapped charter schools vie for federal development funds
- > Apr 6, 6:37 AM: For two decades, the Houston charter school started by the Rev. Bill Lawson and his now-late wife, Audrey, has educated students without a space of its own - first renting a spot from Texas Southern University, then moving to St.
- Charter school said it won’t make a ‘big impact’ on local districts
- Apr 4, 6:25 AM: A representative of an open-enrollment charter school looking into opening a Wichita Falls campus said it does not believe the school will impact local districts significantly.
- EISD keeping eye on vouchers
- > Mar 30, 5:52 AM: Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick has made it clear that his tax-credit scholarship program will be a top priority for him for the 2017 legislative session, and his proposed voucher system could impact funding for the Elgin
- WFISD: Charter School a Negative Impact
- Mar 29, 6:30 AM: The possibility of a charter school coming to the Wichita Falls area was shot down by the WFISD Board of Trustees tonight.
- Houston charter system chooses next CEO
- Feb 22, 7:47 AM: The next CEO of YES Prep Public Schools will be Mark DiBella, the system's current superintendent, the group announced Sunday.
- Compass groundbreaking attracts hundreds
- > Feb 22, 6:45 AM: Heralded by bubbles and balloons, Compass Academy Charter School broke ground on a new campus Friday on land near CrossRoads Fellowship church. Between 500 and 600 people turned out for the event that was about eight years in the
- Charter school prepares for August opening in Katy
- Feb 10, 7:03 AM: Prompted by local parents, a public charter school promising academic rigor and a focus on languages for children in kindergarten through eighth grade is planned for Katy.
- New charter school coming to NRH
- Feb 8, 7:49 AM: The International Leadership of Texas charter school group will open a campus in North Richland Hills this August, adding to the campuses it already has in Arlington, far north Fort Worth and other parts of Texas.
- Charter school ‘beacon of hope’ for children, Oak Cliff neighborhood, backers say
- > Feb 8, 6:24 AM: Abandoned and neglected wards of Dallas County lived there, followed by juveniles in trouble for offenses from truancy to attempted murder. Then the lot sat vacant, blending in with the run-down area surrounding it. But now, the
- Katy touted as “hot spot” for private education options
- Feb 5, 5:55 AM: Katy might just be your best bet If you want options when it comes to your child's schooling.
- CPS: Charter school concept not a failure as Austin HS consolidates
- Feb 2, 6:12 AM: A little over 10 years ago Austin High School closed, replaced by three smaller schools under the Renaissance 2010 charter school model.
- Dallas City Council Approves Controversial Charter School
- Jan 28, 6:50 AM: Dallas Independent School District Trustee Joyce Foreman led the opposition. She said 27,000 kids who could be in Dallas public schools already attend charter schools, taking with them state-per-pupil funding.
- North Texas charter schools on the rise as critics oppose new Dallas campus
- Jan 27, 7:19 AM: A simple request to open a new campus in southwest Dallas has morphed into a public referendum on the charter school movement in North Texas — but parents started voting with their feet years ago.
- Katy ‘the place to be’ for private and charter schools
- Jan 27, 6:07 AM: Katy is branded as an education hub mainly because of its top-ranked public school district, but private schools have become significant in the community as an alternative source for education.
- Mayor backs charter school expansion in Southwest Dallas
- Jan 26, 6:51 AM: Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings gave his support Monday to the expansion of a charter school in Southwest Dallas.
- Charter funding question has few easy answers
- > Jan 25, 8:34 AM: With the Supreme Court close to deciding whether Texas' method of funding public schools is constitutional, a recurrent talking point has once again pervaded the conversation: Charter schools are disadvantaged when compared with
- As charter schools rise, Dallas ISD rues loss of students — and millions in funding
- Jan 22, 5:58 AM: Superintendent Michael Hinojosa says Dallas ISD has acted “fat, dumb and happy” for too long as charter school enrollment exploded within the district’s boundaries, taking away millions in state funding.
- Charter School Fight In Dallas
- Jan 20, 6:49 AM: Elizabeth is one of 28,000 former Dallas ISD students attending publicly funded charter schools. ‘There’s an over proliferation of charters in this area,” Dalllas ISD Trustee Joyce Foreman complains.
- Dallas Feud Brewing Over Public Vs. Charter Schools
- Jan 14, 7:26 AM: A Dallas public school trustee won a short reprieve Wednesday in her battle to block a new charter school when the Dallas city council delayed a vote on the plan for two weeks.
- DISD trustee plans opposition to charter school expansion
- Jan 12, 6:00 AM: A Dallas ISD trustee says she will ask city council to place a moratorium on the creation of new open enrollment charter schools on Wednesday.