- School funding goes back to the courthouse
- > Aug 31, 5:37 AM: Four years after more than 600 school districts, the charter school system, a group of parents and even the influential Texas Association of Business sued the state on grounds that the Legislature has failed to adequately fund
- Charter school kids join traditional students at Spring Branch ISD campus
- Aug 26, 7:42 AM: The big push for charter schools in Louisiana started after Hurricane Katrina. The state’s Recovery School District took over most of the public schools in New Orleans, and quickly issued charters.
- New charter opens in Austin
- Aug 26, 7:12 AM: Moving Everest Charter School, 416 N. Laramie Ave., in a partnership with By the Hand Club For Kids, held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Aug. 20 to welcome the inaugural class of 90 kindergartners and 90 1st graders.
- TEA decision blocks opening of Cane Island Elementary
- Aug 25, 7:20 AM: Parents and students of a proposed charter school for the Katy area were scrambling after the Texas Education Agency denied permission for the school to open.
- Texas Connections Academy makes online high school an option in Fort Bend
- > Aug 24, 6:00 AM: When families move from one city or country to another, it means that the children must change schools. That entails new teachers, new friends and new environment. The new school can make school difficult and no longer fun, but
- TEA Finally Takes a Look at Kids Left Hanging After Charter Goes Belly-Up
- > Aug 21, 5:59 AM: When the Girls and Boys Preparatory Academy closed at the end of last school year, the charter school on Bissonnet left behind a mess of extraordinary proportions – the extent of which is only now beginning to come to
- STEAM, business choice schools in DISD give life to previously closed campuses
- > Aug 21, 4:20 AM: This school year, they will be given new life under the district’s Public School Choice initiative. Fannin Elementary will reopen as an innovation, design and entrepreneurship academy for high schoolers while Hulcy Middle School
- Abilene charter school ready to open, exceeding enrollment goal
- Aug 14, 6:36 AM: The Texas Leadership Charter Academy will be at near capacity when it opens its doors to students for the first time Monday, according to Melinda McCarty, the school’s principal.
- Texas to Hold Districts Accountable for Failing Schools
- Aug 13, 7:52 AM: If school district leaders don’t fix failing schools, the state may strip their authority under a new law effective Sept. 1.
- Enrollment caps at popular schools cause uncertainty for some parents
- Aug 10, 5:22 AM: The class-size crackdown also highlights deeper issues in the Houston Independent School District: Parents are flocking to certain schools, often in more affluent neighborhoods.
- Charter Schools Are Especially Good for ELL Students
- Jul 31, 8:03 AM: Charter schools, it turns out, are doing a better job of educating English-language learners than traditional public schools. That's a bright spot in an otherwise bleak report on Texas charters.
- Top charter schools in town teach very different groups of students
- > Jul 27, 7:44 AM: The contrast marks the divergent paths carved by charter school networks recruited to San Antonio by the nonprofit Choose to Succeed, which has spent more than $35 million in four years to attract some of the nation’s
- Slowly But Surely
The report compares students who go to traditional public schools and charters based on something called “days of learning.” And what it finds is that by the end of a school year, kids who go to charter schools end up the >
Jul 24, 6:43 AM:
- Charter school leasing $23 million building for $1 a month
- Jul 20, 7:27 AM: A vacant youth lockup in Beaumont has been leased for $1 per month to a private charter school company, even as state taxpayers still are paying off $15.6 million for bonds issued to build it two decades ago.
- Santa Teresa charter school shut down: Parents rally in support of Health Sciences Academy
- > Jul 16, 5:57 AM: Parents and students of a Santa Teresa charter school met Wednesday evening in protest. Their school, the Health Services Academy off McNutt Road, was shut down last month after the New Mexico Public Education commission found
- High Charter School Enrollment
In TX, charter school set to open August 17 with 290 students. Lacks information about charter school sector but does inform about local policies.
Jul 14, 8:28 AM:
- Truancy rates down after city tries new approach
- Jul 13, 6:41 AM: The number of truancy cases school districts filed on parents and students this past school year was less than half of what it was the year before, court officials here say.
- 3 charter schools get special designation
- > Jul 8, 7:03 AM: Three charter schools operated in East Texas by The University of Texas at Tyler are among 19 schools designated by the Texas Education Agency as Texas Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Academies for the 2015-16
- Dallas ISD chief Mike Miles announces resignation after contract changes rejected
- Jun 24, 5:57 AM: Dallas ISD Superintendent Mike Miles announced the end of his turbulent three-year tenure Tuesday after failing to negotiate changes to his contract.
- Graduation delayed for Hope Academy seniors after HISD investigation
- Jun 3, 7:19 AM: Houston ISD gave notice Tuesday that it plans to sever ties with Hope Academy charter school after an investigation revealed problems with grades and transcripts that kept 21 seniors from graduating on time.