- San Antonio ISD Unanimously Approves Contract With Democracy Prep Charter
- Mar 20, 4:45 AM: The board of trustees for the San Antonio Independent School District approved unanimously a 10-year contract with New York-based charter school operator Democracy Prep Monday evening.
- Charter school plan merits OK
- Mar 16, 5:16 AM: The San Antonio Independent School District board is about to take another brave but necessary step to bring high quality education to all students, including the ones who have been assigned to failing schools for years.
- Battle over private school choice playing out at Texas polls
- > Mar 16, 4:52 AM: The battle over whether public money should be spent on private school tuition played out at polls across the state this month and will continue in runoff contests on May 22. Public school teachers, who launched a noteworthy
- Local charter school could close after school year
- > Mar 15, 4:42 AM: UT Tyler spokesman Lucas Roebuck told the Herald-Press on Wednesday the school building failed the state fire marshal's inspection in August. The UTTIA building was deemed unfit for students, just weeks before the school
- Charter school may takeover operations of SAISD elementary school
- > Mar 12, 6:09 AM: The future of an underperforming elementary school in San Antonio is in jeopardy. SAISD's school board will be voting soon on whether or not they want to get a charter nonprofit to come in and operate the school starting next
- Opinion: Hey, Dan Patrick: Teachers are coming for you
- > Mar 9, 5:46 AM: Texans for Public Education, founded by Troy Reynolds, began with three teachers. I can see the scene Troy described clearly, as every teacher has starred in it. Probably a packed restaurant — just three teachers on a Friday after
- Teachers Union Accuses SAISD Of Breaking Open Records Law
- > Mar 8, 7:06 AM: San Antonio Alliance, which represents teachers and support staff employed by the San Antonio Independent School District, says district officials broke the law when it authorized a charter school to run Stewart Elementary in
- SISD to employees to walk door-to-door promoting district, some teachers say they feel forced
- > Mar 5, 7:12 AM: Several teachers reached out to ABC-7 anonymously because they were concerned they were being forced to do it as a response to the upcoming opening of IDEA Charter schools in the area. While Dr. Espinoza said it wasn't true, he did
- S.A. company offers apprenticeship program amid skilled workers shortage
- Feb 26, 6:06 AM: A San Antonio company offers an alternative to college that teaches skills in high-demand jobs.
- Meet the charter school whose enrollment is catching CCISD's attention
- > Feb 23, 7:56 AM: So, when a district leader informed CCISD school board members that a specific charter school's enrollment increase (K through 5th grade) is beginning to factor in to projected enrollment decreases at CCISD, it raised questions
- Civic leaders call on community to boost long-failing Houston ISD schools
Civic leaders urged parents, volunteers and local organizations Tuesday to get more involved in improving Houston ISD's lowest-performing schools, which risk triggering a state law that could result in campus closures or a state >
Feb 21, 6:33 AM:
- Northeast ISD Enrollment Declining; Officials Blame 'Influx Of Charter Schools'
- Feb 16, 5:58 AM: After decades of growth, enrollment is declining at San Antonio’s second largest school district. This school year, the Northeast Independent School District saw its biggest drop yet: almost 1,500 students.
- Dallas ISD shows commitment to school choice in pick to lead Office of Transformation and Innovation
- > Feb 14, 6:02 AM: Dallas ISD leadership wasted little time in appointing a new leader for its Office of Transformation and Innovation. Earlier this month, Angie Gaylord, former executive director of professional and digital learning, was named acting
- Houston charter school Victory Prep North abruptly closing
- Feb 13, 7:42 AM: Victory Prep North, an in-district Houston ISD charter school, will close on Friday due to financial issues, forcing about 300 students to relocate to campuses in the middle of the semester.
- No One Raises Hand To Take Over Troubled Mendez Middle School
- Feb 12, 7:40 AM: The Austin Independent School District has received no offers to run Mendez Middle School, which is on the brink of state takeover.
- Austin ISD fails to find partner to help save Mendez Middle School
- > Feb 9, 6:40 AM: District administrators last month sought to partner with an outside entity, such as a nonprofit or university, as a way to save Mendez from state closure. The school has not met academic standards for four consecutive years and
- Hearne district could explore charter status for elementary, junior high schools
- > Feb 7, 7:37 AM: Dozens of parents, students and other citizens gathered Tuesday evening at Hearne Elementary School for a town hall meeting focused on the option of making the elementary school and Hearne Junior High School into charter
- Group wants more funding for public schools, less emphasis on charters
- > Feb 6, 6:33 AM: Parents upset that their children's school is closing joined with Democrat political activists to call for more money for their school. The group says Republicans who want charter schools and vouchers are hurting schools like Edison
- HISD officials propose drastic changes at low-performing schools to avoid state takeover
- > Feb 2, 6:55 AM: Houston ISD administrators on Thursday announced preliminary plans to close and immediately reopen six chronically low-performing elementary and middle schools, a process that would force hundreds of students to leave their home
- New College Station charter school hosts first informational meetings
- > Feb 1, 7:37 AM: Dozens gathered Wednesday night in College Station as staff from the International Leadership of Texas held the first two of several information sessions scheduled over the next two months. The meetings are designed to inform local