- Katy ‘the place to be’ for private and charter schools
- Jan 27, 6:07 AM: Katy is branded as an education hub mainly because of its top-ranked public school district, but private schools have become significant in the community as an alternative source for education.
- Mayor backs charter school expansion in Southwest Dallas
- Jan 26, 6:51 AM: Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings gave his support Monday to the expansion of a charter school in Southwest Dallas.
- Charter funding question has few easy answers
- > Jan 25, 8:34 AM: With the Supreme Court close to deciding whether Texas' method of funding public schools is constitutional, a recurrent talking point has once again pervaded the conversation: Charter schools are disadvantaged when compared with
- As charter schools rise, Dallas ISD rues loss of students — and millions in funding
- Jan 22, 5:58 AM: Superintendent Michael Hinojosa says Dallas ISD has acted “fat, dumb and happy” for too long as charter school enrollment exploded within the district’s boundaries, taking away millions in state funding.
- Charter School Fight In Dallas
- Jan 20, 6:49 AM: Elizabeth is one of 28,000 former Dallas ISD students attending publicly funded charter schools. ‘There’s an over proliferation of charters in this area,” Dalllas ISD Trustee Joyce Foreman complains.
- Dallas Feud Brewing Over Public Vs. Charter Schools
- Jan 14, 7:26 AM: A Dallas public school trustee won a short reprieve Wednesday in her battle to block a new charter school when the Dallas city council delayed a vote on the plan for two weeks.
- DISD trustee plans opposition to charter school expansion
- Jan 12, 6:00 AM: A Dallas ISD trustee says she will ask city council to place a moratorium on the creation of new open enrollment charter schools on Wednesday.
- Patrick: School Choice A Top Priority in 2017
- > Jan 8, 6:03 AM: Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on Thursday vowed to pass a bigger and better tax credit scholarship program — and possibly other school choice legislation — out of the Senate in 2017, saying school choice remains his top policy priority aside
- Downtown Seguin business owner to appeal permit denial for charter school
- Dec 28, 6:35 AM: A downtown Seguin business owner is appealing the city’s planning and zoning committee’s recent denial of a specific use permit to open a charter school.
- Inside the Effort to Re-imagine Dallas Schools
- Dec 22, 6:59 AM: Dallas — the school district but also the city — has been shaped over the past century by hundreds of thousands of individual decisions like this one, made by families seeking the best education for their kids.
- AISD board hires marketing firm to help increase student enrollment
- Dec 15, 7:16 AM: The Austin school board Monday night approved hiring a marketing firm to help boost student enrollment.
- Abbott taps Dallas’ home-rule champion as Education Commissioner
- > Dec 15, 5:59 AM: Gov. Greg Abbott on Monday named Dallas Independent School District trustee Mike Morath, an outspoken school-choice advocate who developed the district's controversial home-rule initiative, the next Texas Commissioner of
- AISD wants to hire company to help recruit students
- Dec 14, 7:12 AM: Superintendent Dr. Paul Cruz says they hope this will boost enrollment. AISD wants to retain 95% of students in the district, and recruit kids, about 10% from charter and private schools.
- Central Texas charter schools gain ground in suburban shift
- > Dec 9, 7:04 AM: The Meridian charter school in Williamson County is just five years old and has nearly 1,300 students. But with another 1,400 students on a waiting list and an expansion underway, Meridian has captured the attention of the Round
- State plans to close three Houston-area charter schools
- Nov 20, 6:58 AM: Two Houston charter schools and one in La Marque will be shut down by the state unless they win an appeal, the Texas Education Agency announced Thursday.
- Hallsville ISD trustees increase transfer tuition, set fee for virtual school
- Nov 18, 6:34 AM: Trustees this week also approved a new fee for its Virtual High School, an online set of courses that matches the district's brick-and-mortar high school curriculum.
- Charter school with former Prime Prep students loses ratings appeal
- Nov 12, 7:01 AM: A charter school in the Red Bird area will keep its poor academic rating, after the state denied the school’s appeal this week.
- Word of mouth major factor for parents charting charter school course
- > Nov 9, 7:31 AM: The annual charter school lottery period is here, when parents throw their children's names into the proverbial hat for a chance to enroll in their school of choice. With limited spaces and wait lists that can literally be thousands
- Cumberland Academy opens new high school
- > Nov 9, 6:40 AM: Cumberland Academy is a public, tuition-free charter school. It started as a private elementary school founded Dr. Jim Cotton and Mrs. Cotton about 20 years ago but was turned into a charter school in 1998. Later it expanded to
- Charter advocates push for facilities funding at Bexar County conference
- Nov 2, 7:31 AM: Charter school advocates at an annual conference here said money for school facilities was an obvious top legislative priority next year.