- A Level Playing Field
- Jun 2, 7:04 AM: Charter schools have a distinct advantage over ISDs when it comes to building new campuses. Will City Council change that on June 9?
- Planning Commission and AISD back charter school code change
- > May 31, 6:41 AM: Last week, City Hall was filled with people hoping to speak to the Planning Commission about proposed changes to how charter schools are built. And, though there are still details to be worked out, those amendments will be moving on
- Turkey Links Texas Charter Schools to Dissident
- May 25, 7:08 AM: Lawyers for the government of Turkey filed a complaint with Texas officials that accuses a Houston-based charter school system of discriminatory hiring practices and of having ties to an influential Turkish dissident.
- BASIS charter schools to offer grades K-4
- May 24, 6:10 AM: The Arizona-based BASIS charter network announced Monday that its two charter schools here will expand this fall to enroll students in kindergarten through fourth grade.
- Mansfield City Council gives nod to charter school
- > May 24, 6:00 AM: Newman International Academy wants to open a charter school at Walnut Ridge Baptist Church this fall. The school will start with kindergarten through fourth grade, but will add a grade every year, said Randall Hudson, assistant
- New charter school to offer parents an option
- > May 24, 5:50 AM: Seguin’s new charter school is offering another option for parents of children ages pre-K to kindergarten. Christine Wilmoth, principal of Southwest Preparatory School District’s Seguin Elementary, was hired last August to start it
- Proposed ordinance puts charter schools at odds with neighborhoods
- > May 23, 6:21 AM: Though they gave it a shot, members of the Planning Commission’s Committee on Codes and Ordinances were unable to reach an agreement on what to do with the draft ordinance that would remove site development plan exemptions for
- Popular classical school gains room to grow in Katy
- May 18, 5:51 AM: After rapid enrollment growth led to a need for larger facilities, the public charter school Aristoi Classical Academy is breaking ground on a new campus in Katy.
- El Paso ISD board votes on becoming a “District of Innovation”
- May 18, 5:42 AM: Districts of Innovation are only in Texas. Becoming one makes a district exempt from the Texas Education Code, meaning there's more local control over day-to-day operations.
- Austin’s IDEA charter set to expand with 20 new schools
- > May 17, 5:27 AM: IDEA Public Schools in Austin announced a multi-million dollar expansion, involving the addition of 20 new charter schools on Monday. The public charter school system plans to serve a whopping 20,000 students by the year 2022. This
- They didn’t think they would graduate, until they found Huston Academy
- May 16, 6:48 AM: As students across the country prepare to celebrate that all-important milestone and push in to official adulthood that comes with graduation, students at Huston Academy have a different, more emotional take on it.
- Despite Texas Supreme Court ruling, the fight over public school finance continues
- > May 16, 6:39 AM: The Texas Supreme Court on Friday declared the state’s school finance system meets “minimal constitutional requirements.” While hardly a resounding endorsement of the Texas education system, the high court expressed its reluctance
- Charter school fight headed to City Hall
- May 9, 7:16 AM: With an ordinance on the table that could mean an end for their current site plan exemptions, some Austin charter schools aren’t waiting for the fight to come to them.
- HISD approves spending plan favoring schools with most low-income students
- May 6, 5:40 AM: The Houston school board on Thursday unanimously approved a school funding plan that would send more money to schools serving the most students from low-income families.
- This Austin Charter School Proves High School Diplomas Aren’t Just for Kids Anymore
- > May 5, 6:00 AM: Three years ago, state lawmakers approved a pilot program in Austin that allows adults up to 50 years old to go back to school to earn their high school diplomas. And over the last 18 months, the Excel Charter School has graduated
- Union sues to block Texas teacher evaluation change
- Apr 21, 6:34 AM: A Texas teachers union sued the head of the state education agency Wednesday over a new evaluation system that ties teachers’ scores to student performance on standardized tests.
- Supporters blast TEA’s plan to close Dallas charter school; agency points to ongoing problems
- Apr 20, 6:54 AM: About 100 parents, students and other community members met Friday and vowed to fight a Texas Education Agency decision to close Children First Elementary Academy in southeast Oak Cliff.
- HISD gives second life to troubled charter school
- Apr 15, 7:15 AM: A local charter school ordered closed by the state after three years of poor academic ratings on Thursday received a rare lifeline from the Houston ISD board.
- New Education Chief Overhauls Top of Agency
- Apr 15, 6:11 AM: Three months after his swearing in, Education Commissioner Mike Morath announced his picks Thursday for several new deputy commissioner positions he created as part of a sweeping reorganization of the Texas Education Agency.