- More charter schools at risk of losing state accreditation
- > Mar 2, 10:14 AM: More San Antonio charter schools this year are in danger of losing their state accreditation after failing to meet academic accountability standards, getting dinged on their financial ratings or both, according to data released by
- TX Plans For The Future
Governor sees education plan as key to sustainable future. Priorities include quality preK, career pathways in higher education, nothing specific on school choice. Critics decry lack of funding increase to public schools.
Feb 17, 5:51 AM:
- TX Advocates Eye Voucher, Tax Credit Programs
Political climate and legislative makeup appears favorable towards school choice efforts. Advocates hopeful due to lieutenant governor leading efforts. Heavy backlash still to be expected.
Feb 10, 5:08 AM:
- Prime Prep Academy troubles continue after closing
- Feb 9, 7:53 AM: Prime Prep Academy is gone but not forgotten. Record-keeping problems and general confusion have caused trouble for some parents and students as they moved to new schools last week.
- School choice advocates rally at Capitol
- > Feb 2, 9:09 AM: With yet another legislative battle over private school vouchers looming, hundreds of students, parents and lobby groups representing private, charter, parochial and magnet schools across the state descended on the Capitol Friday to
- Students shed light on charter school
- > Jan 30, 6:55 AM: Some students told their stories about how they dropped out of school and would not have gone back until they found Huston Academy. One student told her story on how she’s the only person in her family that will have her high school
- East Texas private, public school leaders differ over vouchers
- Jan 30, 6:24 AM: State Rep. David Simpson of Longview says he doesn’t believe using public tax dollars to pay for private education is “proper."
- TX School Choice Week Capitol Visit
Educators, parents, students and other advocates will gather Friday at the Capitol for school choice rally. Event expected to be largest ever of its kind. Students represent number of different types of schools.
Jan 30, 5:54 AM:
- Is school choice an option for all?
- Jan 29, 5:50 AM: Anahi Jaimes says she is lucky to have two of her children in public charter schools, an option that better fits their needs.
- Prime Prep board unable to meet and surrender charter
- Jan 27, 7:18 AM: Prime Prep Academy’s futile six-month effort to avoid closure ended Monday evening with an equally futile attempt to surrender its charter.
- Texas lawmakers face another round of school choice bills
- Jan 26, 5:54 AM: It’s an ongoing and hot topic: Should families be able to move their kids – with property tax dollars – to private schools or other school districts?
- Supporters regroup after failed effort to make Dallas ISD a home-rule district
- Jan 22, 7:10 AM: A day after a commission voted against writing a home-rule charter for Dallas ISD, some observers have turned attention to the Texas Legislature for signs that a bill could be proposed to make the process easier.
- Prime Prep Academy appealing state takeover of school
- Jan 21, 7:56 AM: Prime Prep Academy officials are fighting a state takeover of the school after initial uncertainty about whether to appeal.
- Texas’ Largest Ever School Choice Rally Planned for 1/30 at State Capitol
- Jan 14, 6:27 AM: Elected officials will join students, parents and community leaders at the Capitol in Austin on Friday, January 30 to show their support for expanding educational choice in the Lone Star State.
- Varying charter school models seen likely in legislative debate this year
- Jan 12, 6:25 AM: Republican lawmakers are gearing up for a battle to set up charter schools in Alabama — but first they'll have to decide just what sort of charter system they're fighting for.
- ‘School choice’ would save Texas billions, groups say
- > Jan 8, 6:16 AM: Days before state lawmakers convene for the 84th Legislature, an influential conservative think tank and powerful business lobby group unveiled a study on Wednesday they commissioned that shows that a grant program that would allow
- Grand Prairie ISD partners with charter operator to create new kind of campus
- > Jan 8, 6:12 AM: Next school year, the two environments will collide. The Grand Prairie school district and charter operator Uplift Education are announcing a partnership Thursday that will mean both entities operating schools out of one campus, a
- Majority on Dallas ISD home rule panel want more info before charter vote
- > Jan 6, 7:06 AM: A majority of Dallas ISD home rule commissioners said Monday that they want more information from experts and commission subcommittees before deciding whether to create a charter that could determine how the district is operated and
- Glenn Heights could see first charter school launch in 2016
- > Dec 30, 7:07 AM: Project Genesis, Inc. recently made a proposal before the Glenn Heights city council on the creation of a charter school, Project Genesis Academy, for ages pre-kindergarten through sixth grade after school programs, community
- Guarding State Control of Public Schools — With Money on the Line
- > Dec 29, 8:48 AM: Guarding Texas control of public school classrooms has been the most prominent feature of Perry’s approach to education. But as he leaves office, his impact will also be felt in state-level matters, where his involvement has tended