- IDEA schools expansion continues
- > Sep 18, 5:12 AM: The IDEA school system, a nonprofit network of public charter schools, continues to expand in the Rio Grande Valley, the organization announced this week. We are having a really challenging time opening up enough schools to keep up
- Idaho-Based Athlos Charter Schools Grow in Texas, Despite State’s Denial
- Sep 16, 5:02 AM: Athlos Academies is a new kind of player in the charter school world, combining school construction with an athletics-based approach to learning.
- School Choice Advocates Hope to See Tax Credit Scholarship Bill in 2015
- Sep 15, 4:48 AM: The 84th Session of the Texas Legislature is scheduled to begin on January 13, 2015, and one of the expected hot topics is school choice.
- Azleway Charter schools remain open thanks to new partnership
- > Sep 10, 6:19 AM: Azleway Charter school has finally gotten the reprieve it's been looking for. The school will stay open thanks to an "emergency expansion amendment" granted to trinity charter schools --which now owns Azleway's charter.
- Judge rules school finance system unconstitutional
- Aug 29, 6:27 AM: A judge on Thursday again declared Texas' school finance system unconstitutional, reaffirming his 2013 ruling that struck down the current mode of funding public education as inefficient and inadequate.
- Sanders’ plan for Prime Prep consolidation fizzling
- Aug 29, 5:39 AM: Deion Sanders’ behind-the-scenes efforts to merge Prime Prep Academy with A.W. Brown-Fellowship Leadership Academy appear to be fizzling.
- New charter school offers alternative approach to education
- > Aug 29, 4:16 AM: Just like any other school, Premier High School began their first week of school on August 25th, with 160 students enrolled. However, instead of a set curriculum set by teachers, the students in these classes will self-direct their
- Deion Sanders looks to consolidate Prime Prep with another academy
- Aug 28, 7:32 AM: Deion Sanders and an Oak Cliff pastor are trying to broker a deal to consolidate the troubled Prime Prep Academy and A.W. Brown-Fellowship Leadership Academy, an attorney for A.W. Brown said Wednesday.
- Killeen charter school not chartered by Texas
- Aug 28, 5:56 AM: The Honors Academy Charter School District is moving into its third week of school at its seven campuses — including Creekview Academy in Killeen — without a state-issued charter.
- Virtual Schools A Flexible Option For Students
- Aug 26, 7:42 AM: Most students spend the first day of school finding their locker or their home room. But Tristin Thomas spent his first day of 8th grade at home, logging into his virtual classroom.
- Prime Prep Academy starts classes as school faces possible closure
- > Aug 26, 6:36 AM: A new school year started Monday for what could be the last time at Prime Prep Academy. Last week, Prime Prep lost its appeal to the Texas Education Agency to keep the school’s charter. A forthcoming appeal to a separate state
- Where have Beaumont ISD students gone?
- Aug 26, 6:17 AM: The Beaumont Independent School District released its preliminary enrollment report showing a 500 student drop from last year. Meanwhile, nearby private, charter and public schools reported increases across the board.
- Parents upset over revocation of East Texas charter school
- Aug 22, 7:57 AM: The impending revocation of funding to an East Texas charter school, is leaving some parents angry their children can't get the kind of education they want them to have.
- Opinion: Failing students means failing businesses
- Aug 22, 5:33 AM: As employers complain more and more about the lack of qualified workers and the potential harm to the economy, how we do quality control on public education becomes increasingly important.
- Column: Closing the opportunity gap with school choice
- Aug 21, 5:47 AM: But study upon study suggests that successful charters, by way of school choice, are doing for minority communities what public schools have failed to achieve with more money and bureaucracy.
- IDEA schools ace accountability ratings
- Aug 15, 6:30 AM: IDEA Public Schools outperformed statewide and district results for the 2013-2014 school year in every district where they operate, accountability ratings released last week by the Texas Education Agency show.
- Public schools outperform charters
- Aug 11, 8:40 AM: Charter schools in Denton County did not perform as well as public school districts in the area in 2014 accountability ratings, according to data released Friday.
- A Star-Powered School Sputters
- > Aug 11, 6:51 AM: A few years back, Deion Sanders, the Hall of Fame cornerback and N.F.L. commentator who still digs being called by the nickname Prime Time, was approached with a splendid business proposition. A partner suggested creating a Texas
- Editorial: There must be a better way for TEA to evaluate schools
- > Aug 11, 5:55 AM: We agree that school districts must be evaluated on how well they’re educating our children, but one test on one day is not the way to do it. TEA doesn’t consider that not all kids do well on tests such as STAAR, or that on the day