- Prime Prep Academy appealing state takeover of school
- Jan 21, 7:56 AM: Prime Prep Academy officials are fighting a state takeover of the school after initial uncertainty about whether to appeal.
- Texas’ Largest Ever School Choice Rally Planned for 1/30 at State Capitol
- Jan 14, 6:27 AM: Elected officials will join students, parents and community leaders at the Capitol in Austin on Friday, January 30 to show their support for expanding educational choice in the Lone Star State.
- Varying charter school models seen likely in legislative debate this year
- Jan 12, 6:25 AM: Republican lawmakers are gearing up for a battle to set up charter schools in Alabama — but first they'll have to decide just what sort of charter system they're fighting for.
- ‘School choice’ would save Texas billions, groups say
- > Jan 8, 6:16 AM: Days before state lawmakers convene for the 84th Legislature, an influential conservative think tank and powerful business lobby group unveiled a study on Wednesday they commissioned that shows that a grant program that would allow
- Grand Prairie ISD partners with charter operator to create new kind of campus
- > Jan 8, 6:12 AM: Next school year, the two environments will collide. The Grand Prairie school district and charter operator Uplift Education are announcing a partnership Thursday that will mean both entities operating schools out of one campus, a
- Majority on Dallas ISD home rule panel want more info before charter vote
- > Jan 6, 7:06 AM: A majority of Dallas ISD home rule commissioners said Monday that they want more information from experts and commission subcommittees before deciding whether to create a charter that could determine how the district is operated and
- Glenn Heights could see first charter school launch in 2016
- > Dec 30, 7:07 AM: Project Genesis, Inc. recently made a proposal before the Glenn Heights city council on the creation of a charter school, Project Genesis Academy, for ages pre-kindergarten through sixth grade after school programs, community
- Guarding State Control of Public Schools — With Money on the Line
- > Dec 29, 8:48 AM: Guarding Texas control of public school classrooms has been the most prominent feature of Perry’s approach to education. But as he leaves office, his impact will also be felt in state-level matters, where his involvement has tended
- The Source: Challenges In The Texas Education System
- > Dec 18, 6:23 AM: Texas was ground zero for the latest education reform movement. Standardized testing, school choice, teacher accountability are all words commonly used in education policy discussions across the country, and many of those
- Dallas ISD home-rule panel to decide on charter in January
- > Dec 17, 6:29 AM: The Dallas ISD home-rule commission will decide next month whether to create a charter that could determine how the district is operated and governed. Voters would need to approve it in an election with at least a 25 percent
- Armory full to the brim for Phoenix town hall meeting
- Dec 16, 10:00 AM: Hundreds of local residents crowded into the Texas National Guard Armory Monday night for a town hall meeting regarding Phoenix Charter School’s possible shutdown.
- Deadline Looms For Dallas ISD’s Teacher Evaluation Plan
- > Dec 16, 6:54 AM: Dallas teachers are nearing a key deadline in the evaluation system that Superintendent Mike Miles introduced this fall. He wants to reward teachers based on outstanding performance, not years served or advanced college degrees.
- HISD trustees again give superintendent big bonus
- Dec 12, 6:26 AM: HISD trustees rewarded Superintendent Terry Grier with a bonus topping $116,600 Thursday, showing continued praise of his performance during his fifth year at the helm.
- San Antonio Schools will fight having charters revoked
- Dec 11, 7:11 AM: Five San Antonio Charter Schools face being shut down after failing state requirements three years in a row.
- TEA starts process to revoke Bright Ideas’ charter
The process has begun to revoke the charter for Wichita Falls' Bright Ideas school, the Texas Education Agency reported Tuesday, because it did not meet financial accountability standards.
Dec 10, 6:52 AM:
- State lawmakers will focus on education funding and vouchers come January
- Dec 10, 5:36 AM: Public education promises to dominate the 2015 legislative session, as advocacy groups prepare yet again for a struggle over vouchers and lawmakers decide whether to tweak an outdated, complex school finance system.
- Raising Expectations In TX
College preparatory charter school chalks up success to individualized learning, built-in tutoring, and longer school days. Lacks data, context about local districts, and performance of school as a whole.
Dec 3, 7:38 AM:
- Dueling ‘School Choice’ Events Make Their Cases at Capitol
- > Dec 3, 6:22 AM: Texas public schools got a major curriculum makeover last session when lawmakers fought for what they called 'more flexibility' for students. Now the fight is likely to center around what's being called 'school
- These are the area’s best school districts (CER in the news)
- Dec 1, 9:41 AM: Education analyst group Niche has looked at public school districts in San Antonio, Bexar County and surrounding counties and ranked them by order of proficiency in several key categories.
- A closer look at Texas’ truancy law
- Nov 25, 6:40 AM: Texas takes skipping school seriously. It's one of only two states in the country that sees playing hooky as a criminal offense.