- Editorial: Dallas ISD is creating more choice for parents.
- Dec 12, 7:08 AM: The path forward for Dallas’ children is education, and we owe it to them to offer the best educational options in the best facilities that we can provide.
- Charter school donates car to grandmother who walks to work everyday
- > Dec 11, 7:58 AM: In light of the giving season, a charter school is giving back to one of their families. Kathie Loshbough is raising her three grandchildren. Each morning she drops one off at daycare, one at Condra Charter School and one at Ramirez
- Editorial: HISD program clears path to college for boys of color
- > Dec 10, 8:34 AM: Haskel Harvey III knows the obstacles facing students from underserved communities. He, too, graduated from a struggling school where many of his classmates didn’t go to college. As a young, black man, he had to battle society’s
- Charter school focused on mentorship plans to open in Cy-Fair
- > Dec 10, 7:59 AM: With the intention of offering a more mentor driven, technology-based education for the local underserved population, the nonprofit Continuum The Gift of Learning is planning to open a charter school in the Cy-Fair area in fall
- Editorial: We asked you what is most important in your child’s school. Here’s what you told us.
- > Dec 6, 7:32 AM: Another interesting element that emerged: While most of our respondents were aware that traditional public schools, public charter schools and private schools are available, a surprising number were not. And even among those with an
- Texas Is Taking Over Houston’s Schools, Prompting Charges of Racism
- > Dec 2, 9:20 AM: Though the Texas Legislature passed the law in 2015, it is only now being put to its biggest test, in Houston. The state takeover in Houston has put Mr. Dutton’s political career at risk and caused upheaval and uncertainty in one of
- Editorial: Partnerships good news for education on South Side
- Dec 2, 7:23 AM: Partnerships in the works between the Texas A&M University-San Antonio and some of the poorest local school districts could be a real game changer for communities systematically neglected for decades.
- Editorial: Boundary fight centers on Paschal, but what Fort Worth needs is more good high schools
- > Nov 27, 6:41 AM: It centers on a simple issue: Fort Worth has one high school that stands above the rest. Many parents want their kids to go to Paschal, which is perceived, historically and today, to have favored status, the best resources and the
- Editorial: Charter schools come up short on special education
- > Nov 27, 6:32 AM: The special education gap between traditional public schools and charter schools has been widening as the state attempts to comply with federal disability laws, as detailed in the continuing investigation into special education by
- Bridging the economic divide in Dallas is a moral imperative. SMU, Toyota and Dallas ISD are responding
- > Nov 26, 6:42 AM: Over a year ago, Toyota USA Foundation gave SMU a $2 million grant to create a school with real-world, problem-solving curriculum and multidisciplinary areas of study. The district anticipates opening the school in 2021 at the site
- Northside ISD marketing effort includes pointed questions about charters
- > Nov 25, 8:32 AM: A survey that Northside Independent School District emailed to parents in recent weeks contained some loaded questions about charter schools, whose advocates believe were designed to propagandize rather than collect information from
- Tensions explode at HISD takeover meeting
- Nov 22, 6:39 AM: Parents, teachers and some Houston ISD school board members exchanged verbal fireworks over a looming state takeover of the district during a town hall at Chavez High School Thursday evening.
- Houston ISD has failed its students for too long, and the law calls for a state takeover
- Nov 20, 7:03 AM: We understand why there would be consternation from some parents and teachers about the impending state takeover of Houston schools.
- Longview ISD call for charter partners to be soon, official says
- Nov 18, 7:45 AM: An open call for partners to manage Longview ISD campuses as charter schools should be coming soon.
- HISD teachers union might join lawsuit to stop state takeover of school board
- Nov 18, 7:11 AM: Houston ISD’s largest teachers union is considering whether to join a lawsuit filed by the district’s school board that aims to stop the expected ouster of elected trustees by the Texas Education Agency.
- In Struggle To Fix Special Education, Texas Charter Schools Still Lag Behind
- > Nov 18, 6:49 AM: State data show that charter schools enroll fewer special needs children than their traditional public school peers — and the gap is widening. State administrators say the low numbers have caught their attention and they’ve stepped
- Texas education officials face local resistance to Houston ISD board takeover
- > Nov 15, 8:53 AM: Parents and residents of the state's largest school district filled a meeting at Wheatley High School Thursday evening to give state education officials a message: They would prefer their elected school board over one chosen by the
- Lone Star College System working to meet Texas effort aimed at boosting higher education
- > Nov 14, 8:14 AM: Several years into a 15-year strategic plan from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to boost higher education in Texas to prep students with resources and education they will need for jobs by 2030, the Lone Star College
- TEA faces questions from public on potential HISD board takeover
- > Nov 14, 6:49 AM: Uncertainty about the state’s intentions with Texas’ largest school district simmered throughout the two-hour meeting at Pershing Middle School, where nearly 100 people gathered one week after Education Commissioner Mike Morath
- TEA says it will replace Houston ISD’s elected school board
- > Nov 7, 7:03 AM: Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath notified Houston ISD officials Wednesday that he plans to temporarily strip power from the district’s elected school board and appoint a replacement governance team, a long-anticipated