- Gov. Bill Haslam convened a ‘power meeting’ between Tennessee’s charter school and district leaders. Here’s why.
- > Feb 23, 6:53 AM: There isn’t a charter school within 100 miles of Rep. John Forgety’s district, but the East Tennessee lawmaker has become the mediator in a lingering dispute between the state’s charter sector and its two largest school districts,
- SCS Draws Battle Lines for ESSA Standards
- > Feb 22, 6:11 AM: For several weeks Tennessee Education Commissioner Candice McQueen and Shelby County Schools superintendent Dorsey Hopson have been talking about what happens to two failing Memphis schools – American Way Middle and Hawkins Mill
- Shelby County Schools resisting state's recommendations for two long-struggling schools
- Feb 21, 6:26 AM: Shelby County Schools is pushing back on the state's recommendations for the future of two long-struggling schools.
- Ivy Academy expands campus, introduces Environmental Institute
- > Feb 19, 9:34 AM: Academy Chattanooga, a public charter school for grades 6-12 with a focus on the environment, is introducing a new Environmental Institute for high schoolers and recently broke ground on new academic buildings to be completed by
- Williamson Schools to take 'blended learning' approach to online courses
- > Feb 19, 8:55 AM: Williamson County Schools will offer online courses this fall, joining a growing number of districts nationwide offering virtual learning. The district already embraces technology in the classroom — students bring their own devices
- Tennessee education chief unveils plan for five failing Hamilton County schools
- > Feb 9, 6:43 AM: The state of Tennessee's latest plan for Hamilton County's lowest-performing schools, which does not include a state takeover of the five worst schools, was met with enthusiasm at a school board work session Thursday
- Missed tax payment prompts IRS to file lien in Nashville against Rocketship Public Schools
- Feb 9, 6:24 AM: National charter school operator Rocketship Public Schools owes more $19,000 in unpaid federal taxes, prompting the Internal Revenue Service to file a lien against the company in Nashville.
- Here are Seven Memphis Charter Schools in Danger of Closing
- > Feb 5, 8:11 AM: The district’s newly released school performance scorecard rated seven of its 51 charters below 2 on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the top score. Under a new accountability system for charter schools, those that fall below 2
- New plan could save Jubilee Catholic Schools
- > Feb 5, 6:52 AM: After 20 years of serving Memphis low-income families, the Jubilee Schools’ doors are set to close at the end of the 2018-2019 school year as the result of a lack of sustainable funding. New Day Incorporated, led by Christian
- Local Charter Group Signals Intent to Take Over Catholic Jubilee Schools
- Feb 2, 6:51 AM: A Memphis charter school group led by the president of Christian Brothers University is preparing its paperwork to apply with the state and Shelby County Schools to convert nine Catholic schools in the city to charter schools.
- One of Nashville's Achievement School District schools to close months after opening
- Feb 2, 6:27 AM: One of Nashville's three Achievement School District schools will close at the end of the semester due to low enrollment, just months after it opened.
- SCS rates its own schools on a new scorecard, but not everyone is convinced that's a good idea
- Feb 1, 8:10 AM: A new performance scorecard from Shelby County Schools, in the works for the last three years, aims to help parents make informed decisions when choosing a school for their children.
- Do schools lose ground when losing top teachers to turnaround schools? A little, but it’s worth it, say Tennessee researchers
- Feb 1, 7:59 AM: Since 2012, Tennessee has used financial incentives to lure some of its most effective teachers to work in struggling schools under an intense turnaround model known as the Innovation Zone.
- What needs to happen for a group of Memphis Catholic schools to become charters
- Jan 31, 7:15 AM: No shortage of things must happen for a group of financially strapped Memphis Catholic schools to be transformed into what would be the city’s largest charter school network.
- Memphis charter school creates classroom inside international manufacturing hub
- Jan 30, 8:22 AM: Ten students at a Memphis charter school will spend the majority of their senior year learning about medical engineering — all while training at a global technology giant.
- With the defeat of vouchers, Memphis Catholic leaders seek charter conversion
- > Jan 25, 7:36 AM: With no ability to get public funding through a school voucher program that Tennessee lawmakers have refused to create, the Catholic Diocese of Memphis is turning to another possible avenue: converting a network of schools to
- ASD Proposes Shifting Memphis Middle School to Charter Group
- Jan 25, 7:32 AM: After years of dwindling enrollment, the only middle school in Memphis that’s run directly by Tennessee’s turnaround district could be switching hands.
- Hopson weighs charters as school turnaround tool for Shelby County Schools
- Jan 19, 6:46 AM: Superintendent Dorsey Hopson has opened a crack in the door to charter school partnerships that might help his district avoid losing more schools to Tennessee’s turnaround district.
- Tennessee education officials vow to better the state's teacher preparation programs
Many of Tennessee's teacher preparation programs aren't at the quality the state expects. A number of those underperforming are at state colleges — with none of those schools performing at the highest level.
Jan 17, 7:14 AM:
- Dorsey Hopson says he's willing to give charters control of schools, if they have a plan for improvement
- > Jan 17, 6:20 AM: After years of resisting the growth of charter schools in Memphis, Shelby County Schools Superintendent Dorsey Hopson said he is willing to voluntarily relinquish control over some struggling schools to be operated by private