- Knowledge Academies appeals Nashville school board's decision to revoke charters
- Sep 13, 7:15 AM: Knowledge Academies is appealing to the State Board of Education to reverse the decision by the Nashville school board last month to revoke its charters.
- ‘Someone needs to be fired,’ says lawmaker about letters sent to Tennessee school parents
- > Sep 6, 6:29 AM: "If you’re a black child who is performing well but your school has been identified as having low performance by black children, what does that do for that child?” asked Parkinson, a Democrat who serves on the House Education
- 'School on a hill:' Fairview High elevates to new heights in career readiness, achievement
- Sep 5, 6:48 AM: As a school that sits at one of the highest geographical points in northwest Williamson County, Fairview High School is hitting a lot of “firsts” as a little-known leader in the Williamson County School District.
- Survey: Gov. Bill Lee's focus on vocational education is supported by voters across Tennessee
- Sep 3, 6:52 AM: According to the new poll by Tennesseans for Student Success, Tennesseans overwhelmingly — 89% — support the use of public funds for the focus on skilled trade and vocational education.
- School board votes to revoke charter for Knowledge Academies, KA seeks appeal
- > Aug 29, 6:35 AM: The Knowledge Academies charter schools could close their doors in Antioch this December, but they're putting up a fight to stay open. The school board unanimously voted to revoke KA's charter Tuesday night amid several
- Cooper: Educational choice - if someone else is paying
- > Aug 28, 8:01 AM: While more Americans have a positive view of their local public school than at any time since 2007, according to the Education Next poll, support for vouchers and tax credit scholarships for private school tuition also has
- Tennessee lawmaker wants school voucher program 'deleted in its entirety'
- > Aug 27, 6:21 AM: Condemned by the Democratic Caucus, one legislator is taking early action in an effort to put an end to the law. Rep. Bo Mitchell (D-Nashville), has filed HB 1550 which calls for the Tennessee Education Savings Account Pilot Program
- New teachers at some of Nashville's lowest-performing schools receive $5,000 bonus
- > Aug 26, 6:14 AM: The one-time stipend is for newly recruited teachers in the city's 23 lowest-performing schools, or Priority Schools, to teach English, math or science classes and those who specialize in exceptional education and English-learning
- Tennessee's school vouchers: 6 things we learned from the first draft of program rules
- > Aug 14, 6:33 AM: The Tennessee Department of Education recently released a first draft of rules that would govern the state’s school voucher program. The rules describe educational savings accounts, which will be used to fund the voucher program. A
- The parent perspective: JMCSS parents discuss concerns, ways to improve
- > Aug 13, 7:38 AM: That was before she took heed of what her father always told her: “If you’re going to complain about something, you really need to be willing to roll up your sleeves and do something about it.” That made her take a step back, come
- Tennessee sees high school college-going rate dip, but leaders say it isn't cause for concern
- Aug 5, 7:13 AM: Tennessee's high school college-going rate dipped in 2018, the most significant decline since the state started its heralded college access scholarship program.
- Gov. Bill Lee will move forward with earlier school voucher launch, despite House concerns
- Aug 2, 6:54 AM: Despite concerns from the House about launching a controversial school voucher program earlier than planned, Gov. Bill Lee said he intends to move forward with a faster time frame.
- Tennessee's incoming House speaker concerned over Gov. Bill Lee's push to start school voucher program next year
- Jul 30, 6:34 AM: Incoming House Speaker Cameron Sexton is concerned about Gov. Bill Lee's push to begin his school voucher program next year, earlier than first anticipated.
- Nine new schools will open in Memphis this academic year, five have closed
- > Jul 25, 7:09 AM: Memphis is home to the largest number of charter schools in Tennessee, and nine more are expected to open in the city during the 2019-2020 school year. Another five Memphis charter schools will not reopen for the coming academic
- SCS superintendent looks to change district culture, close achievement gap for black male students
- > Jul 23, 5:56 AM: In the face of a significant achievement gap between African-American male students and the rest of the Shelby County Schools population, the district is planning to usher in a series of changes, including around teacher recruitment
- Glen Casada denies offering financial incentives for school voucher votes in letter
- > Jul 22, 6:02 AM: With less than two weeks until his expected resignation as speaker of the Tennessee House of Representatives, Glen Casada issued a letter Sunday morning denying allegations that he offered incentives to lawmakers in exchange for
- Tennessee school turnaround models either haven’t worked or are stalling out, new research finds
- > Jul 17, 5:29 AM: The Achievement School District, or ASD, created to turn around Tennessee’s lowest-performing schools, has not generated improvements to student achievement during any of the district’s first six years, a research brief released
- Gov. Bill Lee wants Tennessee's school voucher program to start by 2020-21 school year
- Jul 11, 5:06 AM: Tennessee's school voucher program could start in the next year, with Gov. Bill Lee hoping to get it off the ground by the 2020-21 school year.
- Hawkins Co. Virtual Academy presents a new opportunity for students
- > Jul 10, 6:38 AM: A new opportunity for Hawkins Co. students will be available for the 2019-2020 school year. The Hawkins Co. Virtual Academy (HCVA) is a free program offered to any eighth through 12th graders who prefer to learn independently and
- Nashville schools board restarts process to close embattled charter school Knowledge Academies
- Jul 10, 6:06 AM: A Knowledge Academies lawsuit only delayed a move by the city's school board to close the charter school facing numerous issues.