- Knowledge Academies sues Nashville school board, accuses members of violating open meetings laws
- Jun 18, 6:57 AM: Knowledge Academies charter school sued Metro Nashville Public Schools on Monday, alleging the school board violated open meetings laws last week when it began the process to shut down the embattled school.
- Sharon Griffin to leave Achievement School District for Nashville public schools
- Jun 18, 4:49 AM: Achievement School District Chief Sharon Griffin submitted her two-week resignation letter on Friday, according to Amity Schuyler, a deputy commissioner who helps oversee the ASD.
- Charter school operator under fire as it arrives in Nashville
- Jun 10, 6:20 AM: Noble Education Initiative could soon emerge as a key player in the Nashville charter school market, but the Florida-based nonprofit will first have to overcome immediate opposition.
- With 1 in 3 students attending rural schools, coalition recommends focus on TN rural populations
- May 31, 6:44 AM: About one-in-three Tennessee students attend a rural school — and those students face challenges their suburban and urban counterparts sometimes do not share.
- State Sen. Bill Powers defends vote for school vouchers, despite campaign promise
- > May 31, 6:24 AM: His first significant act as state senator riled many of his constituents in the district encompassing Montgomery, Houston and Stewart counties. It was a vote of support for Gov. Bill Lee's school voucher bill, which was a reversal
- Review & Outlook: Tennessee Voucher Victory
- > May 29, 7:13 AM: Governor Bill Lee fulfilled a campaign promise on Friday when he signed a school voucher bill into law. The bill’s ride through the Tennessee General Assembly was bumpy, but its passage is a big victory for the Governor and even
- Gov. Bill Lee signs his controversial school voucher bill into law
- > May 28, 7:08 AM: The governor said he signed the bill, along with numerous others on Friday, to reporters during a morning interview. But Lee didn't answer questions about controversy still swirling about the bill, which creates education savings
- Opinion: Statewide commission will ensure high bar for charter schools
- > May 23, 6:27 AM: Tennessee families have access to a variety of school choices for their children, including local public schools, public charter schools and other non-public entities. In this landscape, public charter school authorizers play a
- Nashville was desperate for tech workers. This man created a new crop of coders
- > May 21, 7:37 AM: While many Nashville business leaders were focused on addressing the issue through K-12 education or by recruiting from other cities, Wark decided to pursue another strategy — build a vocational school that would teach entry-level
- Statewide Charter Commission Will Ensure High Bar For Charter Schools
- > May 21, 4:57 AM: Ensuring only the best public charter schools are operating in our state enhances the high-quality school choice options available to Tennessee families. We believe this statewide commission will help further our goal as a state to
- These programs aim to prepare Nashville public school students for college. Why only three give them credits.
- May 14, 8:27 AM: Of the six programs meant to provide Nashville public school students a leg up in college, only three guarantee college credits in Tennessee, a new report shows.
- FBI investigates controversial voucher vote
- > May 10, 6:04 AM: That vouchers legislation narrowly passed the state House last month on a 50-48 vote. The vote was initially deadlocked 49-49, and House Speaker Glen Casada kept the vote open for 40 minutes until he convinced Rep. Jason Zachary,
- Nearly 1,000 Nashville school teachers out again Monday amid protests over funding, pay
- May 6, 7:33 AM: Nearly 1,000 Metro Nashville Public Schools teachers called out on Monday morning, a school official said.
- High number of MNPS teachers to be absent Friday, district says
- May 3, 7:20 AM: Amanda Kail, president-elect for the Metropolitan Nashville Education Association, said the teacher absences are meant as a protest against Briley's proposed budget.
- Opinion: ESAs let parents tailor education to each child's needs
- > May 2, 6:02 AM: A proposal passed by state lawmakers may help families like the Gaughs who wish to customize their child’s learning according to his or her needs. It would do this by making education savings accounts available to more children in
- School voucher program could total more than $330M by 2024 but not all with new money, analysis shows
- May 2, 5:42 AM: The amount of money that could go toward Gov. Bill Lee's controversial school voucher program could exceed $330 million by 2024, although not all of that would be new tax dollars, according to a new fiscal analysis.
- Memphis, Nashville schools oppose state’s Education Savings Account bills
- > Apr 30, 5:33 AM: Memphis and Nashville school leaders say they are prepared for a legal fight against the proposed Education Savings Account plan that made its way through the General Assembly last week, saying it violates the state's
- Blount County protesters decry state voucher bill
- Apr 30, 5:29 AM: Protesters gathered in front of the Blount County courthouse Monday, letting lawmakers know they are against a proposal which would allow families to take public dollars to pay for private school tuition.
- Tennessee School Vouchers Clear Senate, But Conflicts With House Must Be Resolved
- Apr 26, 6:10 AM: Gov. Bill Lee's school voucher initiative cleared the Tennessee Senate Thursday after a lengthy debate among lawmakers.
- After reforming public education, why subsidize private schools? | Opinion
- Apr 26, 5:44 AM: Tennessee has been recognized across the country for its innovative and bipartisan effort to transform public education.