- Expanding charter schools in Shelby County
- Dec 11, 8:26 AM: Growing pains in the Shelby County School system. Charter schools in the district want to expand, opening up hundreds of new spots. But it's creating a classroom conundrum for the Shelby County School Board.
- Three new charter schools could open in Hamilton County in 2021
- Dec 9, 6:47 AM: As Hamilton County school officials weigh the future of the district's facilities — including rezoning and closing schools — several organizations are looking to launch new charter schools.
- First group of Memphis parents hears how vouchers work
- Dec 6, 7:22 AM: A dozen parents gathered at a private Christian school in southeast Memphis were the first to hear details from state officials about Tennessee’s new education savings accounts.
- SCS board members call for moratorium on charter schools until state evaluates effectiveness
- Dec 5, 6:27 AM: Shelby County School board members don’t want to see another charter school open or expand in Memphis until the state evaluates how they are doing.
- Nashville Classical charter to appeal Nashville school board decision denial to add 77 students at school
- Dec 4, 7:52 AM: Nashville Classical Charter School leaders will appeal the Nashville school board's decision to deny it an expansion of its school by 77 students.
- CGLA exploring possibility of opening a new charter school in Highland Park
- Dec 3, 5:59 AM: The Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy and its founder are leading efforts to establish a public charter school in Highland Park to serve elementary-aged students near the campuses of CGLA and Chattanooga Preparatory School.
- Opinion: Tragedy was averted on school vouchers in Memphis. But is disaster on the way?
- Dec 2, 6:55 AM: Looks like Tennessee education officials believe they can fix a flaw that they missed in the fine print of the state's school-voucher plan.
- CGLA named Tennessee Charter School of the Year
- Nov 26, 7:17 AM: Students at Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy now have some bragging rights. The school has just been named the Tennessee’s Charter School of the Year.
- There’s now a bipartisan call to repeal Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee’s controversial school voucher plan. The education savings account plan would allow public money to be used in private schools in Shelby and Davidson counties.
- > Nov 26, 6:46 AM: There’s now a bipartisan call to repeal Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee’s controversial school voucher plan. The education savings account plan would allow public money to be used in private schools in Shelby and Davidson
- Opinion: School voucher program will help more parents choose schools for their children
- > Nov 25, 6:18 AM: The school district’s goal should be for parents and teachers alike to voluntarily choose their school — not to erect barriers to keep them in place. This is a paradigm shift from how education has been practiced for over a century,
- Early postsecondary opportunities program advances college, career readiness | Opinion
- Nov 22, 8:43 AM: The goal of the EPSO program is to build on the college and career readiness standards students encounter in the classroom and help build a bridge to success after graduation.
- Tennessee Officials Now Say School Vouchers Won’t Be Taxable After AllTennessee Officials Now Say School Vouchers Won’t Be Taxable After All
- Nov 22, 6:43 AM: In a reversal, the Tennessee Department of Education is now saying the state’s new school voucher will not be taxable.
- Families worried about possibility of taxing education vouchers
- Nov 20, 7:13 AM: There’s confusion about Tennessee’s Education Savings Account vouchers and what exactly parents may owe come tax time.
- Memphis senator opposes school voucher program, says update is 'worst-case scenario'
- > Nov 20, 7:09 AM: Tennessee’s school vouchers will be considered federally taxable income, Penny Schwinn, the state’s education commissioner told reporters Monday. It’s prompted at least one legislator to oppose the fall implementation of the
- Official: Tennessee vouchers are federally taxable income
- Nov 19, 8:55 AM: Tennessee’s education commissioner says the state’s new school vouchers for private education will be considered federally taxable income for parents.
- New Rocketship charter school will be opened after state education board overturns Nashville decision
- Nov 19, 8:02 AM: The Tennessee State Board of Education will open a new Nashville charter school after it overturned the local school board's decision not to approve the Rocketship school.
- State board staff again goes against Nashville school board, recommends new Rocketship school
- Nov 13, 7:47 AM: Tennessee's education board could overturn a Nashville decision over a charter school for the second time in less than a month.
- Blount County commissioners urge high standards for charter school applicants
- Nov 12, 8:03 AM: Concerned about a push for more charter schools in Tennessee, some Blount County commissioners last week urged the local school districts to put high standards in place for any applicants.
- Tennessee education department prepares its budget for education savings account rollout
- Nov 11, 7:53 AM: Tennessee's education department plans to put aside $15 million for the state's education savings account and looks to spend $2 million on administrative costs.
- Tennessee High Schools Recognized For Creating College And Career Pathways
- Nov 8, 7:56 AM: Education Commissioner Penny Schwinn announced Thursday that 74 Tennessee high schools are leading the way in the state to become the first to receive a pathways certification from the Tennessee Department of Education.