- Editorial: Virtual learning simply did not work
- > Sep 16, 9:26 AM: Most, we believe, would agree that the phrase “virtual learning” is an oxymoron. For some students it works because they have the rare discipline to sit uninterrupted in front of a screen throughout the day; or a parent sits next to
- Seven schools, including three in Memphis, exit Tennessee’s toughest school improvement list
- > Sep 15, 9:46 AM: Seven of 79 Tennessee schools flagged for poor academic performance in 2018 dropped off the state’s “priority list” of bottom-performing schools this year when the Tennessee Department of Education unveiled its 2020-21 school
- Tennessee education commissioner stands by ban on districtwide virtual learning as a pandemic respon
- > Sep 13, 10:47 AM: Tennessee Education Commissioner Penny Schwinn says her department will continue its remote learning waiver program, which allows some classrooms or schools to switch to virtual learning to fight the spread of COVID-19 — but not
- Majority of Tennesseans believe public education is on the track
- Sep 8, 2:56 PM: And only 34% of those surveyed said that public education in Tennessee “is moving in the right direction.” The poll found 66% believe it's on the wrong track.
- Executive order gives Tennessee parents power to bypass masking in schools
- > Aug 17, 4:49 PM: Tennessee parents who don’t want their children to mask up in the classroom can opt out of mask mandates. Governor Bill Lee issued an executive order Monday, August 16, and now parents, politicians, and physicians are sounding off
- TN House Speaker Backs Away From Overturning Masks In Schools, But Says Parents Need Options
- > Aug 13, 1:25 PM: Tennessee House Speaker Cameron Sexton is backing away from calls for the state legislature to overrule school districts that impose mask mandates, saying in an interview Thursday that he doesn’t want to interfere with local school
- Here’s how Knox County Schools plans to spend its $114 million in COVID-19 relief
- Aug 13, 11:56 AM: Tutors, additional mental health support, building improvements and high-quality teacher recruitment are the major focuses of Knox County Schools' plan to spend about $114 million in COVID-19 relief money.
- Metro Nashville student achievement drops, mirroring statewide plunge amid debate over learning loss
- Aug 12, 11:12 AM: Nashville student achievement declines mirror those seen statewide, especially among economically disadvantaged students and some students of color, according to new test data out Wednesday.
- TN Representative wants to give parents choice to change schools over mask mandates
- Aug 11, 9:52 AM: A state representative wants to give parents a choice to transfer their children to a different school if they don’t support a mask mandate.
- Parents should decide on masks, be able to take tax money to leave district, Sexton says
- Aug 9, 3:08 PM: Tennessee House Speaker Cameron Sexton said the choice of whether students wear a mask in schools should be a “parental decision” and not left up to the Tennessee General Assembly or local health departments.
- Nashville PROPEL parents advocate for more personalized learning for their students
- Aug 9, 2:55 PM: Now, as students head back to school, Gordon is among a group of parents from North Nashville calling for a plan — a personalized one for how Metro Nashville Public Schools will try to get each student back on track.
- Over 1,000 students opted to learn at home
- Aug 6, 12:57 PM: More than 1,000 Montgomery County students are set to become Virtual Voyagers as K-12 Virtual School starts next week.
- Virtual learning was part of Metro Schools long before the COVID-19 pandemic
- > Aug 5, 12:23 PM: As schools prepare to go back to class this year, not all children are choosing in-person learning. Metro Schools parent Kelly Tipler’s children Ashlynn and Dylan have been learning through MNPS’s Virtual School for the last three
- Tennessee House speaker threatens districts that close schools or require masks with vouchers
- > Aug 3, 10:44 AM: A top Tennessee legislative leader warned local school officials Monday not to issue mask mandates, shutter school buildings in favor of remote learning, or segregate classrooms based on who has and hasn’t been
- Tennessee Online Public School Program expanding for upcoming school year
- > Jul 30, 9:28 AM: The Tennessee Online Public School Program is expanding. A partnership between Greeneville City Schools and Bristol, Tennessee City Schools is making TOPS available for grades Kindergarten through 12 students, rather than just high
- How Napier Elementary Is Approaching the Challenges of the Upcoming School Year
- > Jul 29, 3:19 PM: Napier has been experiencing impressive changes for years under the leadership of Lawless. In her time there, she has carried Napier from its status as what’s known as a priority school — one of Tennessee’s schools most in need of
- Opinion: Tennessee must remember how COVID-19 changed education in order to innovate
- > Jul 27, 1:42 PM: The past two years taught us many things about what a public school education can look like. Now, it is up to each of us to ensure that we don’t suffer from a learning loss of our own by leaving behind such important
- Aventura Community School: What To Know About The Newly Approved Dual-Language Charter School
- Jul 27, 1:38 PM: Earlier this month, the Metro Nashville Board of Education approved Aventura Community School, a dual-language charter school aimed at making K-8 students biliterate in English and Spanish.
- Thousands of students learning online in Tennessee this upcoming school year
- Jul 26, 11:50 AM: The Tennessee Department of Education announced this month that they approved 29 new virtual schools for the 2021-22 school year, bringing the total to 57.
- Nashville parents call for close attention to student learning loss, ask city for plan
- Jul 21, 3:21 PM: Students head back to the classroom in roughly three weeks. But as of Tuesday, parents with Nashville PROPEL are calling close attention to child learning loss and continuing to ask Metro leaders for a plan of action.