- South Dakota public schools brace for school choice fight in Pierre
- > Nov 2, 5:00 AM: South Dakota's public schools want to shut down "school choice" conversations in the state before they begin. More than two months before legislators convene in Pierre for the 2018 session, statewide public school groups are
- Tax-credit scholarship donors won't have to disclose gifts
- Feb 9, 7:13 AM: South Dakota legislators killed a bill that would have increased transparency in the state's voucher-like scholarship program.
- S.D. tax credits subsidizing dozens of private schools
- > Jan 19, 7:36 AM: The group behind the state-subsidized scholarship program released a list of the number of awards by school Wednesday. It's more information than is required to be released by law but not enough to satisfy public school advocates,
- Senator wants to expand tax credits for private schools
- Dec 12, 6:26 AM: State Sen. Tom Davis, R-Beaufort, plans to prefile legislation to more than double to $25 million a tax credit program that helps students with disabilities go to private schools.
- More parents taking kids' learning into their own hands
- Nov 28, 8:05 AM: The number of home-school families has been on the rise nationally for most of the past two decades, and it's a trend that has held true in Sioux Falls, where the number of home-schoolers has nearly doubled since 2009.
- New school choice program hands out $210K in scholarships
- Nov 23, 5:53 AM: A South Dakota organization helping students attend private schools under a state-backed tax credit program has given out 280 scholarships totaling nearly $210,000, a program organizer said Tuesday.
- S.D. dual credit program on the rise in high schools
- > Aug 24, 5:56 AM: In the program's first year during the 2014-15 school year, a total of 2,345 students enrolled into the program. During the 2015-16 school year, the number rose to 3,503 students, not including the numbers from this summer. Summer
- No money, few answers for private school vouchers
- > Aug 3, 6:33 AM: Parents waiting for vouchers to send their children to private school may not want to hold their breath. A new South Dakota law allows insurance companies sizable tax credits if they fund vouchers for students to attend private
- Backers lay groundwork for South Dakota's school choice law
- > Jun 10, 5:15 AM: Parents looking for help sending their children to private school may be able to tap a state-backed scholarship program as soon as this fall under South Dakota's new school choice law, the measure's legislative sponsor said
- South Dakota Approves Tax-Credit Scholarship Program
- May 6, 6:08 AM: South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard (R-SD) signed into law a bill giving low-income families financial aid to use on educational alternatives for their children.
- Shrinking schools lose way to 'slow the bleeding'
- Mar 29, 6:02 AM: South Dakota schools can no longer curb the financial loss of shrinking schools by using a two-year enrollment average.
- Daugaard approves state-subsidized scholarships
- > Mar 28, 5:49 AM: After a historic year at the Statehouse for South Dakota's public school teachers, Gov. Dennis Daugaard signed a bill Friday that supporters say expands the push for education funding by allowing the state to subsidize scholarships
- SF schools chief against school choice bill
- Mar 25, 6:03 AM: The bill would give tax credits to insurance companies that contribute to scholarships for low-income children to attend private schools in South Dakota.
- Governor seeks legal advice on scholarships bill
- > Mar 15, 5:21 AM: The governor asked the South Dakota Supreme Court Monday to weigh in on the constitutionality of two bills sent to his desk by the Legislature. The first would create a tax credit for insurance companies that contribute to a
- Governor to decide on state-subsidized scholarships
- Mar 9, 6:08 AM: In a legislative session dominated by discussion about increasing funding for the state's public schools, the House of Representatives on Tuesday supported giving private and parochial schools a break.
- Private schools aim for state subsidized scholarships
- Mar 3, 6:36 AM: A day after the Legislature agreed to give public school teachers a raise, private and parochial school supporters told lawmakers they deserve a break, too.
- After long battle, House lawmakers say 'Yes' to sales tax
- Feb 23, 7:10 AM: Lawmakers in the House on a 47-21 vote approved Gov. Dennis Daugaard's plan to increase the state's sales tax by half a cent to boost south Dakota's lowest-in-the-nation teacher pay.
- Amid talk of teacher pay, school choice bill gains traction
- Feb 10, 5:53 AM: As the Legislature delves into fundamental changes to South Dakota's public education system, a Senate committee inserted a new variable Tuesday that could provide private and parochial schools a piece of the funding pie.
- S.D. governor offers plan to raise teacher pay
- Jan 13, 7:23 AM: The governor is recommending a half-cent increase in the state sales tax to fund the program. It would be the first permanent increase in the state’s portion of the sales tax in more than 50 years.
- Task force ends in $75 million plan for schools
- Oct 30, 8:29 AM: State leaders agreed Thursday it will take at least $75 million and a new K-12 funding formula to make South Dakota teacher salaries more competitive.