- Governor McMaster speaks at conference honoring charter school partners
- > Sep 30, 8:13 AM: Governor Henry McMaster joined multiple motivating speakers at the first Kids First Conference Wednesday afternoon. The conference was created partly by the South Carolina Public Charter School District to honor and support school
- Some Elmwood Park residents against Clear Dot Charter School development plans
- Sep 30, 8:09 AM: Many Elmwood Park residents are upset and against the Clear Dot Charter School development proposal; the main reason for opposition is traffic.
- Local charter school sees enrollment jump amid pandemic
- Sep 30, 7:59 AM: Mountain Island Charter School is growing, just like a host of charter schools across the country — many of which have experienced their biggest enrollment jumps in years during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- SC public online schools say interest in virtual programs likely to remain high after pandemic
- Sep 28, 8:46 AM: Officials say interest in online virtual schools in South Carolina hit new highs at the start of the 2020-21 school year.
- South Carolina lawmakers believe bill could make school choice more affordable
- Sep 24, 8:19 AM: Would create Education Scholarship Accounts to help parents pay for tuition, transportation, other services
- Survey reveals parents interested in virtual learning options in Lancaster County
- Sep 24, 8:18 AM: The Lancaster County School District revealed the results of a virtual-learning survey during a board meeting Tuesday evening.
- Spartanburg's Green Charter School outperforms SC school report card state average
- > Sep 23, 8:43 AM: She found GREEN Charter School (GCSS) in Spartanburg. GCSS opened their doors in 2019 with just 250 students. Due to the school’s small class sizes, they were not operating on a hybrid schedule, but were face-to-face, 5 days a week,
- North Charleston charter school reports high student engagement amid pandemic
- Sep 22, 9:11 AM: Lowcountry Acceleration Academy is reporting strong student engagement this month amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- CCSD will send mask-less students home for virtual learning starting Wednesday
- Sep 22, 8:56 AM: Starting Wednesday morning, students will be turned away from their Charleston County School District school if they do not wear a mask.
- James Island Charter High School votes against mask mandate, offering virtual option for students who feel unsafe
- Sep 22, 8:55 AM: The James Island Charter High School (JICHS) Board of Directors on Tuesday voted against adopting the latest Charleston County School District (CCSD) mask requirement.
- Online-only SC schools report surge in enrollment
- Sep 20, 9:12 AM: The Cyber Academy of South Carolina (CASC), for example, said it expected to enroll roughly 2,000 students last year. It instead received 5,200 - a school record.
- More than 11,400 students in quarantine across Horry County Schools, several schools go virtual
- Sep 3, 10:09 AM: More than 11,400 students are in quarantine as of Thursday across schools in Horry County, according to the district’s dashboard.
- Reports confirm fears about pandemic’s impact on learning
- > Sep 3, 10:00 AM: While state Superintendent of Education Molly Spearman is worried about how far behind the state’s third-graders are academically, those at Waccamaw Elementary School outperformed the district and the state on the report cards
- 30 ninth-graders join first cohort of Charleston Co., College of Charleston partnership
- Sep 1, 12:38 PM: This fall, 30 ninth-grade students started the school year as the first cohort for the Scholars Academy, a partnership program between the Charleston County School District and the College of Charleston.
- NC bill would let school districts decide on remote learning due to COVID exposures
- > Aug 30, 11:39 AM: Several districts around North Carolina are having to quarantine groups of students and though districts are creating plans to support kids learning during that time, without the state allowing for remote instruction, their options
- Thales Academy is bringing a low-cost, private K-12 school to Greenville
- > Aug 26, 4:33 PM: At Thales, there is one school administrator, one assistant administrator and then teachers. That’s it. The teachers run their classrooms, Luddy said, which allows for more autonomy depending upon the needs of each specific
- Aiken County parent pushes for more virtual learning options
- Aug 17, 4:40 PM: Aiken County Superintendent King Laurence was out in the community Monday to help welcome Aiken County’s 22,000 students back for a new year.
- COVID: Pickens County school district back to virtual classes
- Aug 16, 3:49 PM: COVID-19 cases have prompted the largest South Carolina school district already back open to return to virtual lessons as students in more than 60 other districts prepared to return to class.
- Cane Bay area of Berkeley County welcomes new charter school
- Aug 13, 11:47 AM: On Aug. 12, officials with the new Berkeley Preparatory Academy welcomed Gov. Henry McMaster, parents and other state and local education representatives as they celebrated the site’s grand opening.
- SC parents have short window to decide on virtual school — if they have a choice
- > Aug 5, 11:52 AM: As COVID-19 cases continue to rise in South Carolina, some Midlands parents will have to decide soon whether their children will be learning face-to-face this school year or go virtual. Other parents won’t have that option available