- Latest enrollment numbers inspire confidence in charter school leaders
- Aug 18, 6:32 AM: After a rocky first year, leaders at the Innovative Arts Academy Charter School expressed confidence with the start of the second school year on the horizon and more than 400 students enrolled to attend.
- Group plans to open charter school in Mehoopany
- Aug 18, 6:29 AM: A group plans to open a charter school in Mehoopany in response to Tunkhannock Area School District shuttering three of its four elementary schools next year.
- New Plan Could Help 220K PA Students Attend Private School, Risking Part Of Public School Budget
- > Aug 16, 5:42 AM: A powerful coalition of Pennsylvania lawmakers is promoting a forthcoming education savings account (ESA) bill that would allow hundreds of thousands of students in the state to use public money to pay for private school
- Teachers at Philly charter school vote to unionize
- Aug 14, 6:18 AM: Teachers at New Foundations Charter High School in Philadelphia’s Holmesburg section have voted to be represented by the Alliance of Charter School Employees.
- Charter school finances raise concerns about future
- > Aug 14, 5:31 AM: During its first year of operation, Innovative Arts Academy Charter School has had to weather the resignation of its CEO, low enrollment and blistering public criticism from former employees. But its biggest threat may be the
- Steel Valley adding cyber charter classes for elementary school students
- > Aug 11, 7:27 AM: Ed Colebank, the district’s director of academics, information and technology, said Steel Valley officials met on July 25 with parents who would like to return their children to the district from charter schools. Parents of
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court Ruling Helps School Districts Limit Charter Expansion
- Aug 11, 5:37 AM: The Pennsylvania Supreme Court delivered a ruling this week that gives traditional public school districts more power to limit charter school growth.
- Foundation buys old Western Electric plant in East Allentown for charter school
- > Aug 10, 6:14 AM: The foundation for Executive Education Academy Charter School has bought the former Agere plant on Union Boulevard in Allentown, a move that allows the school to remain there as it grows enrollment while generating income from other
- Pa. Supreme Court sides with SRC in charter school case
- Aug 10, 5:38 AM: The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has issued a ruling that could help school districts — especially Philadelphia –when charter schools seek to expand their enrollment.
- A push to end the SRC - but is Kenney on board?
- > Aug 10, 5:33 AM: Even as a group of students, teachers and activists gathered to demand that the School Reform Commission dissolve itself soon, signs emerged from City Hall on Wednesday that local control of the city’s schools is not
- Senators push school choice plan to get students out of poor performing schools
- Aug 10, 5:24 AM: It’s an uphill political fight in the Capitol, but Sen. Mike Regan, R-Cumberland, says it’s a fight worth having for students trapped in Harrisburg and elsewhere; students like Lance.
- Education savings accounts widen Pa. school choice options for more students, senator says
- Aug 9, 4:56 AM: Education savings accounts are about opportunity. They are giving more students a chance at an education that best meets their needs instead of forcing them to attend a low-achieving public school.
- What is the definition of attendance at cyber charter schools in Pennsylvania? It depends on who you ask.
- > Aug 8, 6:43 AM: Cyber charter schools have the freedom to create their own attendance policies — which are approved as a part of the application process — and then simply report back to the state with measures that show they’re adhering to
- Hopes and problems for Philly's Khepera Charter School
- Aug 8, 5:30 AM: Khepera Charter School in North Philadelphia, which ended the school year early because of financial problems, insists that it will open for students next month, but it’s facing daunting odds.
- Thackston Charter: A look back at New Hope, York City's last charter school fight
- Aug 7, 7:03 AM: Upcoming hearings that will determine the fate of Helen Thackston Charter School will mark the second time in five years that the York City school board has sought to shutter a charter school.
- GOP senator wants to bring next generation of school vouchers to Pa.
- > Aug 7, 6:32 AM: Freshman Sen. John DiSanto, a Republican from Dauphin County, on Tuesday intends to do his part to make that happen by unveiling his legislation to establish education savings accounts for those who live in attendance areas served
- Downingtown-based cyber charter opens office in Murrysville
- Aug 3, 6:19 AM: The Downingtown-based 21st Century Cyber Charter School is reaching new frontiers this school year with the opening of an office in Murrysville.
- Senate-passed education bill tries again to eliminate seniority-based teacher layoffs
- > Jul 28, 5:38 AM: The Senate passed legislation on Thursday allowing districts to furlough teachers for economic reasons. In those cases, performance evaluations instead of seniority would be used to determine which educators are furloughed unless
- State funding not keeping up with pension, charter costs, Bucks, Montgomery school officials say
- > Jul 27, 7:00 AM: Bensalem's pension costs are up $1.8 million next year. Since 2010-11, their contributions to the Public School Employees’ Retirement System have grown fivefold, from $3.1 million to $15.5 million. Charter payments have also
- The Charter Effect: How the money flow between public districts and charter schools in Allegheny County fueled animosity
- > Jul 26, 7:02 AM: On one side of the divide are charter proponents who maintain charter schools offer a chance at better educational opportunities for students stuck in struggling districts. On the other side are district officials who have long