- Opinion: Pennsylvania needs charter school reform now
- > Mar 20, 6:39 AM: In many cases, however, school districts have become the anti-reformers of today vocally opposing charter schools. Instead of traditional public education establishment organizations and school districts constantly demeaning and
- Kenney gets 18 new names for school board consideration
- Mar 19, 5:03 AM: A little more than a week after asking for more candidates to consider for the city’s fledgling school board, Mayor Kenney has a new list of names.<
- Report shows more suburban Pa. students choosing charter schools
- > Mar 19, 4:58 AM: For 15 consecutive years, the number of children attending charter schools in the four counties surrounding Philadelphia has increased, according to “Uncharted Territory,” an analysis by the advocacy group Public Citizens for
- Area school boards join opposition to school choice bill
- > Mar 15, 6:31 AM: Area school districts are steadily joining the ranks of those state-wide passing resolutions opposing a proposal bill in the state Senate that, they argue, would drain resources from public schools and are akin to school
- Another View: Another look at appeal of local charter schools
- > Mar 14, 6:43 AM: I also wanted to remind Ms. Mayberry that when parents, for whatever reasons, decide to transfer their children to a public charter school, the traditional school no longer carries the expense for educating that student, but that
- Local mom says there's no reliable way for her daughter to get to school
- > Mar 13, 6:02 AM: Finding a top-notch school for your child can be a challenge. So imagine the frustration when you find a school your child loves only to discover there's no reliable way to get her there Brianna Smith is a straight-A student in
- School boards in Pa. are lining up against a proposed school choice bill
- > Mar 13, 4:29 AM: School boards across Pennsylvania have signaled their opposition to a state Senate bill that would allow students in struggling districts to use state money for private school tuition and other pre-approved expenses, a move that
- School work on a snow day? Pennsylvania picks up on cyber snow day trend
- > Mar 8, 7:25 AM: For the last three years, Pennsylvania has run a pilot cyber snow day program at a dozen schools across the state. When classes are canceled, students are given assignments to complete from home. The work counts toward the schools
- Some area school boards opposing school voucher bill
- Mar 8, 6:59 AM: The Bensalem, Bristol Borough, Council Rock and Morrisville boards have all passed resolutions opposing a proposed state law that would allow public money to follow a student to a private school.
- MaST Community Charter School reveals admission lottery winners
- Feb 28, 7:41 AM: There was disappointment for some parents and relief for others Tuesday at the lottery for a coveted seat at MaST Community Charter School.
- Hampton school board opposes Pennsylvania education savings account bill
- > Feb 27, 6:03 AM: The Hampton Township School Board is telling the state Legislature that a Senate bill that would give students in underperforming schools access to an education savings account would not benefit Pennsylvania public school
- Philly's new school board has 27 nominees. Who will Mayor Kenney pick?
- > Feb 27, 5:58 AM: Reaching across the city to tap men and women with a diverse range of experiences — from activists to businesspeople, from government veterans to founders of nonprofits — the school board nominating panel on Monday forwarded the
- Charter School Continues to Grow
- Feb 23, 8:29 AM: The Young Scholars of Central PA Charter School recently expanded and was renovated, giving a growing student body a better space in which to learn.
- Western Pa.'s school districts set up own cyber academies to keep money, students in-house
- > Feb 23, 8:06 AM: Instead of paying for students to be educated elsewhere, Westmoreland County's largest school district had to find a way to meet the demand for online education. Four years ago, Hempfield Area opened its own cyber academy. This
- Philly will get one new charter school; SRC denies 6 more
- > Feb 23, 6:42 AM: The School Reform Commission Thursday night approved a single new charter school for Philadelphia, another outpost for the successful MaST network in Northeast Philadelphia and adding 1,300 students to the city’s charter
- Pittsburgh Public Schools board rejects proposals for two new charter schools
- Feb 23, 6:39 AM: Pittsburgh Public Schools board members on Wednesday rejected the applications of two new charter schools.
- Thackston Charter sues York City district over closure agreement
- > Feb 23, 6:03 AM: On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the York City school board approved a resolution authorizing district solicitors Levin Legal Group PC and Gettle & Veltri to pursue legal action to ensure the closure of the charter school by the end of the
- SRC plans vote on seven new charter applications Thursday
- Feb 22, 6:43 AM: The School Reform Commission will consider applications for seven new charter schools on Thursday, Feb. 22. Two additional applications have been withdrawn since the process began in December.
- Protesters decry Philly district's 'overreach' with charters
- > Feb 15, 6:17 AM: Decrying a proposed policy shift they say would hamper their ability to operate charter schools in Philadelphia, dozens of administrators, parents, and students demonstrated outside the city’s school district headquarters
- Pittsburgh teachers union authorizes leaders to call strike
- Feb 13, 8:19 AM: Members of the Pittsburgh teachers’ union Monday voted overwhelmingly to authorize its leaders to call a strike if negotiators are unable to reach a contract agreement with the school district.