- Charter school parents demand apology from superintendent for comments on race, poverty
- Dec 13, 7:20 AM: Parents of charter school students who live in the Bethlehem Area School District filed a protest Thursday with the school board, asking Superintendent Joseph Roy to issue a public apology.
- Suburban school director calls Bethlehem superintendent’s comments on race, poverty and charter schools a ‘new low’
- > Dec 12, 9:17 AM: The Saucon Valley School Board President is calling for Bethlehem Area Superintendent Joseph Roy to resign over recent comments that some parents in urban districts choose charter schools so their children won’t have to attend
- Most Philly charter schools failed to test water for lead –– and city gave them a pass
- > Dec 11, 7:56 AM: Two years after Philadelphia officials pledged to crack down on lead in drinking water at school buildings, most city charter schools still haven’t tested for the dangerous neurotoxin. The lapse was not caught until now because the
- Opinion: Public charter schools’ survival is vital to Pennsylvania families
For more than two decades in Pennsylvania, parents have had some ability to decide where, when and how their children will receive their public school education.
Dec 10, 9:21 AM:
- With $40M in public and private money, a new building is rising for two West Philly schools
- > Dec 10, 7:22 AM: Powel Elementary and Science Leadership Academy Middle School (SLAMS) will rise at 36th and Filbert Streets in University City, the product of a complicated funding structure that brings in public and private money in a deal
- Letter: Charter school misinformation
- > Dec 10, 6:28 AM: Freeport Area School District Superintendent Ian Magness said, “In an outside cyber charter setting, there is very little accountability, and that is common knowledge across the commonwealth.” This is a common misconception, but
- What’s holding up appointments on this powerful state education board?
- > Dec 9, 8:20 AM: Wolf and the Senate leaders have spent months trying to agree on appointees to Pennsylvania’s Charter School Appeals Board, which can reverse local school boards’ decisions to block new charter schools or to close existing
- Valley cyber program receives national recognition
- Dec 9, 8:05 AM: Shikellamy Virtual Academy teachers Eric Attinger and Rachel Gittens are now nationally known.
- Update Pa’s charter school law to foster innovation, bolster accountability | Opinion
- > Dec 6, 7:47 AM: I support Gov. Tom Wolf’s call for reform to the charter school law, which is long overdue for an update in light of 20 years of experience with charter schools and their impact on the system of public education in the
- A fight to stop these schools from ‘making a profit on every single special education kid’
- Dec 6, 6:56 AM: Across Pennsylvania Thursday, nearly 20 school districts held simultaneous news conferences to press state lawmakers to tackle charter and cyber school reform.
- Pennsylvania’s urban school districts call for change; say state funding, charter laws crippling them
- > Dec 6, 6:52 AM: The district was one of more than a dozen across the state — including Upper Darby and Pottstown — that held news conferences Thursday to draw attention to funding disparities facing districts that are also burdened with increasing
- School officials seek charter reform, allege funding inequalities
- > Dec 6, 6:39 AM: A call to action was made by several local school superintendents and administrators on Thursday, as they came together in hopes of bringing attention to what many of the area’s educators are calling “unfair
- EDITORIAL: Pa.'s weakest districts targeted
- > Dec 5, 8:28 AM: But the "school choice" red herring only serves to line investors' pockets and rob taxpayers of accountability. And, judging by recent history, the enemies of public education are targeting Pennsylvania's weakest districts
- Judge nixes Chester Community Charter School petition - for now
- > Dec 5, 7:51 AM: Delaware County Common Pleas Court Judge Barry Dozor denied a petition from Chester Community Charter School Wednesday that could have opened the door to "charterize" all elementary schools in the Chester Upland School
- Letter: Who benefits from tuition voucher programs?
- Dec 5, 7:08 AM: When politicians advocate school voucher programs they always claim the purpose is to help “poor” families. This is a lie. The only people who actually benefit are middle and upper class.
- CUSD supporters rally against charter proposal
- > Dec 4, 7:57 AM: About 50 opponents of a proposal to “charterize” elementary schools in the Chester Upland School District braved frigid December temperatures to stage a rally outside Chester High School Tuesday evening, one day before a hearing in
- ‘A complete breakdown’: Pittsburgh charter school’s case is still stuck before state appeals board
- > Dec 4, 7:50 AM: The six-member appeals board found itself once again hamstrung by legal precedent at its meeting in Harrisburg on Tuesday, when it was unable to render a verdict in an appeal brought by Propel Schools, a network of Pittsburgh
- Pennsylvania can turn its higher education disaster around | Opinion
- Dec 4, 6:44 AM: Pennsylvania has a big problem, and it’s time we stop ignoring it. As Bob Fernandez reported in stark relief for this week’s Inquirer, the Commonwealth’s public higher education is in a dire state.
- Online teacher creates after-school program to helps students, parents with math
- Dec 3, 7:20 AM: Nicole Manley spends most of her day online, interacting with her students. She's a math interventionist at the Insight Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School.
- Pa.’s largest charter school wants to take over grades K-8 in Chester Upland
- Dec 2, 8:12 AM: In what would be a first in Pennsylvania, a charter school is pushing to take over all traditional kindergarten through eighth grade education in its home district.