- After a Philly charter school operator gave Pa. lawmakers hundreds of thousands of dollars, they rewrote the law. One critic calls it ‘very suspicious.’
- Aug 23, 6:10 AM: The charter will be Pennsylvania’s only “innovation school,” a status it received this month under a quickly enacted change to state law that will allow it to seek waivers from federal and state requirements.
- Lehigh Valley charter schools tell Allentown School District to ‘live within its means’; reject tuition pay cut
- Aug 22, 6:10 AM: Lehigh Valley charter schools have rejected Allentown School District’s attempt to balance its budget by having them accept 10% less in tuition payments, telling the district to “live within its means.
- Pa. STEAM Charter’s president calls potential lengthy appeal a ‘waste of taxpayers’ money'
Even if the state’s charter appeal board members decide to approve Pennsylvania STEAM Charter, Harrisburg School District’s leader said Monday night she’s going to challenge the final outcome.
Aug 21, 7:27 AM:
- Letter: Tomlinson’s charter school piece short on facts
- > Aug 21, 7:15 AM: I am a Bensalem homeowner, about to hand over lots of money to the school district in the biggest property tax hit of the year, so I have a vested interest in that money being spent wisely. I am also the father of two children who
- Poor school districts are funding the state’s cyber charter schools, research shows. That wasn’t always the case
- > Aug 20, 6:51 AM: A study of enrollment trends in Pennsylvania’s cyber charter schools between 2002 and 2014, published in the American Journal of Education, found that poor districts disproportionately funded the state’s cyber charter sector, which
- Harrisburg schools leader makes it clear she has no time for charter schools
- Aug 20, 6:41 AM: At that same meeting, Samuels announced plans to block another charter school, Pennsylvania STEAM Academy, from opening. And that’s all while criticizing the performance of cyber charter schools.
- Charter reform proposal must tackle cost inequity, local school officials say
- > Aug 19, 5:37 AM: It's clear that the funding formula for Pennsylvania charter schools does not equate tuition costs with the cost of education — with skyrocketing price tags and a huge discrepancy between districts, say local
- Editorial: Charter school reform badly needed in Pennsylvania
- Aug 19, 5:29 AM: Gov. Tom Wolf last week brought the long-simmering issue of charter school cost and accountability to the front lines, vowing executive action and legislative reform of the 22-year-old charter school option in Pennsylvania.
- Philly school board clears way for sale of district building for charter
- Aug 16, 5:32 AM: The Philadelphia school board voted Thursday to sell a vacant school to a company working with the KIPP charter network after adding a provision to guard against a developer flipping the property.
- Lawmakers are talking about eliminating school property taxes. Again.
- > Aug 15, 6:38 AM: Pennsylvania's “age-old” struggle to eliminate school property taxes and shift that tax burden elsewhere is back on Harrisburg's radar. Whether lawmakers will actually be able to make massive changes to the state’s main source of
- Editorial: Education needs a better charter
- > Aug 15, 5:30 AM: So, good for Gov. Tom Wolf for taking on the lack of accountability and transparency that allow bad and mediocre charter schools to give the good ones a bad name. The governor said Tuesday he wanted to reform charters through a mix
- Letter: Charter schools aren’t private schools
- Aug 14, 7:16 AM: Gov. Tom Wolf’s announcement on Tuesday about charter schools is “disingenuous on many fronts,” the top executive at Bear Creek Community Charter School said in a written response.
- Innovative Arts Academy pledges curriculum overhaul, benchmarks for academic improvement
- Aug 14, 7:10 AM: As the Innovative Arts Academy Charter School awaits a vote on the renewal of its charter, leaders sought to demonstrate their commitment to academic improvement Tuesday.
- Charter schools decry ‘blatant attacks’ in Gov. Tom Wolf’s plan to revamp state law
- Aug 14, 6:49 AM: Meyers slammed the governor for not reaching out to the charter school community before announcing his plans and for not spending time in charter schools to see their value.
- Gov. Wolf calls for sweeping reforms for charter schools in Pennsylvania
- Aug 14, 5:05 AM: Gov. Tom Wolf on Tuesday vowed to level the playing field between Pennsylvania’s traditional public schools and charter and cyber charter schools.
- Gov. Wolf coming to Allentown to discuss changes to the charter school law
- Aug 13, 6:59 AM: Gov. Tom Wolf will be in Allentown on Tuesday to discuss changes in the state’s charter school law, capping weeks of criticizing the charter funding system as unfair.
- Lehigh Valley Academy prepares to make new school pitch in Bethlehem Township
- Aug 12, 7:00 AM: The Lehigh Valley Academy Regional Charter School is moving forward with plans to build a school in Bethlehem Township, filing sketch plans with the township last week.
- Eastern University charter parents worry about possible closure: ‘I’m not going back to the School District’
- Aug 9, 7:30 AM: A number of parents said they would not send their children to a neighborhood school and were upset by a School District letter sent last month offering to help enroll their children in a district school.
- Allentown School District submits budget still dependent on charter schools accepting less money
- > Aug 9, 5:05 AM: Just days before a deadline that could have resulted in late fees if missed, the Allentown School District has submitted a $341.8 million budget to the state that is balanced only if charter schools agree to a tuition reduction that
- Philly charter school on the brink of closing after losing payments from School District
- Aug 8, 7:45 AM: Philadelphia’s Eastern University Academy Charter School is suing the School District for stopping its payments after a state appeals board vote in June to close the charter.