- Clearfield School Board supports cyber school financing reform
- Apr 25, 7:30 AM: Clearfield Area Board of School Directors passed a resolution supporting a bill pending in the state legislature supporting a change in how cyber schools are funded.
- Another charter school in East Falls? Some parents say: No thanks.
- Apr 25, 7:20 AM: At first, Carla Lewandowski thought she’d move to the Main Line when it was time to send her children to school. The East Falls mother of three also contemplated private and charter schools.
- Nation’s First Apprenticeship for Public School Teachers debuts with Norristown School District
- > Apr 25, 7:10 AM: Norristown Area School District is fully on board with the first-of-its-kind registered apprenticeship program to train K-12 public school teachers to further develop their skills that was recently unveiled by Governor Tom
- Harrisburg lawmakers back mayor’s request for state takeover of city schools
- Apr 25, 6:23 AM: Both state lawmakers who represent the city of Harrisburg support a state takeover of the city school district after a series of scandals, investigations and consistent lack of transparency.
- Complete chaos in Harrisburg schools is hurting our children and jeopardizing city’s future | Opinion
- > Apr 22, 8:12 AM: Harrisburg’s economic prosperity depends on a public school system that can train its future workforce. A safe and healthy Harrisburg depends on a public school system the can provide every student the experiences necessary to build
- Parents Express Concerns over Uncertain Future of Erie Rise Charter School
- > Apr 19, 6:17 AM: The Erie Public School Board voted against renewing the schools charter, which begins a lengthy process that could end in the school being shut down. This decision would effect more than 70 faculty and staff and more than 400
- School board addresses cyber charter school funding issue
- Apr 18, 5:35 AM: The Williamsport Area School board approved a resolution supporting two bills in the state legislature dealing with cyber charter school funding, sending a clear message to the legislators on where they stand on the issue.
- School district opposes renewal of Erie Rise’s charter
- Apr 17, 5:23 AM: Erie School Board to vote in first stage of lengthy process that could end with closing of Erie Rise Leadership Academy Charter School, whose poor test scores are a concern for the school district.
- Reading School Board candidates voice their opinions on I-LEAD, other district issues
- Apr 15, 6:56 AM: Reading School Board candidates weighed in Sunday on issues confronting the district, including the ongoing dispute with I-LEAD Charter School.
- OP-ED: Pa.'s urban school superintendents issue call to action
- > Apr 15, 5:36 AM: Whether you’re a Democrat or a Republican, one thing is clear: For Pennsylvania to prosper, its largest cities must thrive. As school superintendents from the commonwealth’s largest urban areas, our 12 school districts are
- Opinion: 12 of Pa.’s urban school superintendents: Harrisburg should do more to help our students
- Apr 12, 6:36 AM: As school superintendents from the commonwealth’s largest urban areas, our 12 school districts are responsible for educating one in every seven children in Pennsylvania’s public schools.
- Octorara school board seeks reasons families select charter schools
- Apr 12, 5:34 AM: Octorara Area School District is trying to determine why children and their families are choosing charter schools and cybercharter schools, as the district pursues a strategy to attract and retain students.
- Muhlenberg School District exploring starting cyberschool program
- Apr 11, 7:09 AM: The Muhlenberg School District is “aggressively” pursuing options for starting a district-based online education program, the superintendent said Wednesday.
- Teachers, students and parents fight to save Eastern Academy Charter School
- > Apr 11, 5:43 AM: "It's a sense of family, sense of community, so to think they'd even close a school like Eastern when we're outperforming the district schools - it's mind-blowing," said Rhyn Frazier Joyner, Eastern Charter Academy
- At this West Philly charter, elementary schoolers travel as far away as Kenya and China
- > Apr 10, 6:48 AM: Starting next month, students at the school and a second Global Leadership charter in Southwest Philadelphia will embark on a series of trips. Fifth graders will spend a night in Washington, while sixth graders will tour Atlanta,
- School leaders in Philly and Pittsburgh frustrated with Corbett-era holdovers on state board
- > Apr 10, 5:39 AM: A wave of progressive school board members faces off with the state Charter Appeal Board, still filled with appointees of former GOP Gov. Tom Corbett. Local boards are being more assertive about setting stricter standards for
- Taxpayer-backed charter school experiment goes toxic in Easton
- > Apr 9, 7:04 AM: Charter schools are Pennsylvania’s pioneers in education. They take risks. They blaze trails. They take chances so hundreds of traditional public schools don’t have to. The payoff is the discovery of new and better ways to
- Suburban RE brokers join a push for education funding reform
- Apr 9, 6:55 AM: The fight to boost education funding brings lots of people together — teachers, superintendents, politicians. But advocates want to add another constituency to the mix: real estate agents.
- School districts are paying to burnish their brands to counter images and compete with charters
- > Apr 8, 6:52 AM: The Norristown Area School District hasn’t been in the news much in the last few years, and what little coverage it did get tended to focus on fights with the state over lack of funding, or how it coped with high poverty rates in
- Reform sought as cyber charter school costs top $42M in NEPA districts
- Apr 8, 5:34 AM: As cyber charter school enrollment grew over the last decade, Carbondale Area School District’s budget reserves disappeared.