- Wahtonka school seeks charter
- > Feb 7, 7:17 AM: Wahtonka Community School is venturing into the uncharted waters of becoming a charter school. Principal Brian Goodwin is unabashed about why: He wants to give the alternative school the budget protection offered by charter school
- Elementary Schools showcase programs to parents for school choice
- > Jan 8, 5:52 AM: January is School Choice Month in the Eugene 4J District, and families had a chance on Saturday to check out the options for their kids. When looking at the numerous elementary schools to choose from, each has its own specialty,
- Gearing up for college
- Jan 3, 8:11 AM: In a major victory for charter school teens, they now have a fully equipped computer lab they use for looking at colleges. Reedsport Community Charter School Office Manager Sheri Wall looked around the lab, smiling.
- Dropout rates at Oregon's alternative high schools cry out for better oversight, audit says
- Dec 21, 7:16 AM: Oregon's nearly 50 alternative high schools and online schools urgently require heightened scrutiny and better state oversight to stanch their flood of dropouts, a state audit has found.
- Charter school helps kids in special circumstances with Resource Link
- > Dec 5, 6:16 AM: Though the program has moved locations throughout the district, it has settled in four classrooms in the second floor of the Harding Building. It is also one of the most unique charter schools around and is often used as an
- Access Academy Parents Push Portland Public Schools For 'Home'
- > Oct 9, 6:43 AM: Oregon’s largest school district is weighing options for how to redraw boundaries for much of North and Northeast Portland. The changes Portland Public Schools could enact hinge at least in part on the fate of two programs: Kairos
- KairosPDX Charter School Can Stay At Humboldt Building, PPS Says
- > Oct 5, 5:32 AM: The next version of Portland Public Schools’ boundary proposal for Northeast Portland will keep KairosPDX charter school, a program that caters to African-American students, in the historic heart of Portland’s black
- Medford School District questions ethics of Logos Public Charter School
- Oct 3, 6:39 AM: A series of emails and letters are outlining a new disagreement brewing between Medford School District and Logos Public Charter School.
- Emotions run high as Portland Public Schools plans to shuffle 5,000 students
- Sep 28, 6:44 AM: Oregon's largest school district plans to jostle 5,000 students —10 percent of its enrollment — as part of a long-awaited effort to fix education inequities.
- Mayor Urges Portland Schools To Let Charter School Stay Put
- Sep 22, 5:06 AM: Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler is the latest area leader to call on Oregon’s largest school district to let a small charter school stay where it is.
- Charter student not allowed to join choir at Beaverton elementary school
- Sep 22, 4:54 AM: A Beaverton mom is upset after her son wasn’t allowed to join an elementary school choir. The reason: he’s a charter school student.
- New law puts charter school students in play
- Sep 21, 5:17 AM: Charter schools in Medford are praising a new law that allows charter students to participate in extracurricular programs — including sports — in the district, but that victory comes with a price tag.
- Parent survey results show why K-12 students choose to attend online schools
- Sep 11, 5:58 AM: Thousands of students from across the state headed back-to-school Tuesday without boarding a yellow bus, searching the hallways to find a locker or rushing to class when the bell rings.
- Converting to charter school boosts Alsea enrollment
- > Aug 31, 5:26 AM: Marc Thielman, Alsea’s superintendent and principal, said the school has about 150 students this year — about 20 more than forecast — thanks to converting to a charter school earlier this year. That change allows the school more
- Bend-La Pine Schools to open second charter school
- Aug 25, 7:01 AM: When Desert Sky opens next month, it will have 101 students. The school has set its cap at 108 students — it is looking to accept a few more, plus it will offer a waiting list.
- Cannon Beach Academy is a go
- > Aug 17, 5:48 AM: Cannon Beach will have an elementary school again. It’s a project that supporters of the charter school have been working toward for almost four years after the old elementary school was closed for tsunami safety reasons and a
- Wallowa schools examine charter options
- > Aug 16, 5:37 AM: Wallowa School District is investigating the value of converting from a public school to a charter school. A public meeting with Steve Kelly, an Oregon School Board Association moderator, and the Wallowa School Board was held last
- Charter school moves ahead with its sport programs
- > Aug 14, 5:06 AM: Although a senate bill that passed the Oregon Legislature this past session would have allowed students from a local charter school to not be barred access to Ontario School District extracurricular activities, such as sports, the
- Kings Valley Charter School requests public input on possible district boundary change
- > Jul 26, 6:34 AM: Kings Valley Charter School is holding a meeting to gather public input while it considers a change of the district boundary to become part of the Falls City School District. vThe charter school is currently sponsored by the
- Supreme Court dismisses suit between Oregon Connections Academy, Scio schools
- > Jul 10, 6:28 AM: According to Academy officials, their plans to expand and enhance the online learning program nearly two years ago could not be fulfilled by the Scio School District. The Academy signed a new charter in 2015 with Santiam Canyon