- Parents, students urge lawmakers to keep current expansion on 'EdChoice' voucher program
- > Jan 22, 7:10 AM: Parents and students traveled from across Ohio to urge state lawmakers to keep the EdChoice program as is. The program offers vouchers to students who attend schools that struggle academically, so they can go to private or parochial
- Charter school wants vacant Columbus City Schools building, but district won’t sell
- Jan 20, 8:17 AM: The founder of a local charter school network says Columbus City Schools is violating state law by not selling a building that has sat vacant on the Near East Side for nearly six years.
- Ohio private school voucher law to change, but devil’s in the details
- Jan 20, 7:18 AM: When the House and Senate return to work Tuesday, they’ll have 10 days to get a bill through committee hearings, then floor votes in both chambers.
- Letter: EdChoice undermines public schools
- Jan 20, 7:16 AM: The rapid expansion of the Ohio EdChoice voucher program threatens to destroy public education in Ohio.
- Opinion: School choice a matter of social justice
- > Jan 20, 6:32 AM: We are duty bound to support parents’ rights to be the primary educators of their children and to provide them educational options. True school choice includes options for public schools, private schools, religious schools, or
- Private school leaders discuss EdChoice amid push back from public schools
- Jan 17, 7:12 AM: EdChoice Scholarships allow students in schools deemed underperforming to attend private schools, taking associated tax dollars with them.
- Education leaders battle over school voucher growth
- Jan 14, 6:40 AM: Local school officials are pushing back against the expansion of a school voucher program they say will funnel millions of dollars in much-needed funding from public schools to private schools.
- State avoids “loophole” for charter school money, rejects applications for millions
- Jan 13, 8:06 AM: The Ohio Department of Education has blocked a “loophole” that would have given millions in tax dollars to charter schools with bad grades by using another.
- It’s a mess’: Butler County school leader continues to blast state EdChoice program
- Jan 13, 6:02 AM: After pushing a public social media campaign against recent changes in private school vouchers, the leader of Butler County’s largest school district renewed his lobbying over coffee last week.
- 5 vacant Columbus school buildings to be sold
- Jan 8, 7:50 AM: Any unused public school building must first be offered to charter schools at appraised market value before it can be sold, according to Ohio law. “High-performing” charter schools receive first priority.
- Loophole could give F-rated charter schools millions meant for better schools
- > Jan 6, 8:03 AM: East Academy, Cleveland Preparatory Academy and West Park Academy charter schools each scored an F on their latest state report cards. But school leaders are claiming they are “quality” schools, so they can receive new bonus tax
- Letter: Ohio’s school voucher program is off the rails. Local property tax dollars should not go to
- > Jan 6, 7:37 AM: I am baffled about the Ohio school voucher program (“Voucher ‘fix’ gaining support in Columbus,” Dec. 22). I always thought the taxes that I pay would be for public schools in my neighborhood; at least that is how it used to be.
- State lawmakers in a race against clock to limit expansion of costly school choice program
- Dec 26, 7:13 AM: After the holidays, state lawmakers say they'll need to make a quick fix to a state scholarship program before the next application window opens for families February 1.
- School districts’ budget hole created by state vouchers sparks rush to fix
- Dec 23, 7:45 AM: Consensus is building in Columbus for finding a “fix” for Ohio’s massive increase in tax-funded tuition vouchers for private schools — and the resulting cost to local school districts.
- Tecumseh, Greenon schools eligible for private school voucher program
- > Dec 23, 7:04 AM: Students at schools in two Clark County districts are now eligible for the new “EdChoice” voucher, which gives parents a voucher to send children to private schools when their public school is considered
- EdChoice Voucher Debate Continues
- > Dec 20, 5:53 AM: A lawmaker who backed the expansion of the state’s largest voucher program said it’s creating problems – with a 400% increase in the number of public school buildings where students will be eligible for private school vouchers by
- Another View: Revisit rules to make school voucher program more rational
- Dec 19, 6:28 AM: Using tax-funded vouchers to send some Ohio children to private schools always has had detractors. Even the biggest supporters of the idea, however, surely can agree that Ohio’s voucher program badly needs some changes.
- A Bold Effort In Cleveland To Make Higher Education Possible, And Affordable, For All
- > Dec 19, 6:17 AM: Thomas Aston, who graduated this past spring from John Hay High School in Cleveland, had always believed he would go on to college. But the path for him to achieve his dream of a higher education is not one that he could have
- Editorial: Revisit rules to make school voucher program more rational
- Dec 18, 9:37 AM: Using tax-funded vouchers to send some Ohio children to private schools always has had detractors. Even the biggest supporters of the idea, however, surely can agree that Ohio’s voucher program badly needs some changes.
- Dublin, Upper Arlington, Worthington schools ‘under-performing’? New system to expand Ohio vouchers flags even top-tier suburban public schools
- Dec 17, 6:52 AM: Students in 10 Dublin and Upper Arlington schools — two districts Ohio rates as among the best overall in the state — can apply for vouchers to help pay for private school next year.