- Paul Muschick: Bethlehem superintendent knew he would take heat for talking about race and charter schools. Here’s why he did anyway.
- > Jan 17, 9:26 AM: Roy is among many superintendents, including Allentown’s Thomas Parker, who are calling for state officials to overhaul the charter school system because of the cost to school districts, which pay tuition for students who enroll in
- Editorial | Do homework on education opportunities
- > Jan 17, 9:13 AM: To combat the problem, many colleges are offering more educational opportunities to students. At St. Francis, new online graduate programs have helped to stem the loss, and Pitt-Johnstown has added a dozen new majors over the past
- New York graduation rates climb, achievement gap narrows slightly
- Jan 17, 8:20 AM: Statewide, 83.4 percent of students who entered high school in 2015 graduated last year, 0.8 percentage points above the previous class' 82.6 percent, according to the data.
- Editorial: Insufficient progress in Buffalo schools
- > Jan 17, 8:05 AM: Superintendent Kriner Cash’s goal of a four-year graduation rate of 70% continues to be an elusive one for the Buffalo Public Schools. Data released Thursday by the state Education Department shows Buffalo’s rate improved by just
- Opinion: More research shows charter schools work, despite new calls to close them
- > Jan 16, 8:11 AM: Newark Superintendent Roger Leon started off the New Year with a bang by demanding the closure of four New Jersey charter schools and calling for the denial of any new applications for new ones, “unless the applicant shows that it
- Study finds Newark Charter Schools Improve Test Scores
- Jan 16, 8:08 AM: A study by a Boston University professor for a New York-based think tank has determined that attending a Newark charter school is among the most impactful education interventions studied by researchers.
- CASD, charter schools spar in funding dispute
- > Jan 16, 7:52 AM: Interim Superintendent Dr. Richard Dunlap said during a school board meeting Tuesday evening that there are several variables affecting the district’s budget, but currently the two highest costs for the district are special
- New schools superintendent vows to set higher expectations in Boston classrooms, build trust
- > Jan 16, 7:22 AM: Less than a year into her role, Boston Public Schools Superintendent Brenda Cassellius laid out a new strategic plan for the district Wednesday, a five-year vision that aims to bring equity to schools across all neighborhoods and
- Charter school parents worried that Gov. Andrew Cuomo is abandoning them
- > Jan 16, 7:19 AM: With the governor silent on charter schools in his State of the State address, parents and operators are worried he is abandoning them as the largely successful privately-run but publicly funded schools seek to expand in New
- A Chesco school district is in ‘a fight for our lives’ as students flock to charters
- > Jan 16, 6:39 AM: The tension between traditional public schools and the charter schools they fund has spurred debate for years, in Pennsylvania and nationally. In one Chester County community, the situation has escalated to what school district
- House Republican leader disagrees with governor over education plan
- > Jan 16, 6:26 AM: House Republican Leader Blake Filippi said he didn't hear any fundamental education changes from the governor. "We already have one of the highest per pupil costs in the country and I don't know that throwing more money at problem
- Cyber charters transformed my struggling kids. Why do Pa. politicians want to change my choice? | Opinion
I am a parent and a taxpayer. Unfortunately, my elected officials don’t always believe that makes me qualified to choose the best school for my children. They’re wrong.
Jan 16, 6:21 AM:
- A ‘seal of civic readiness’ should be option for high school diploma, New York task force says
- Jan 15, 8:32 AM: New York high schoolers should have the option to earn a “seal of civic readiness” as one way to complete their diploma requirements, members of a state education task force are suggesting to the Board of Regents.
- Study: Test scores higher in Newark charter, CMO schools
- > Jan 15, 7:54 AM: Students in Newark (New Jersey) Public Schools who used the district’s centralized Newark Enrolls system to choose a charter school scored higher in math and English language arts than those who attended a traditional public school,
- Management companies don’t have the same rights as charter schools, appeals board rules
- > Jan 15, 7:46 AM: A powerful state board ruled on Tuesday that charter management companies, the private entities that primarily operate charter schools in southeastern Pennsylvania, don’t have the same rights as their charter school clients to
- Opinion: Charter schools don't save taxpayers cash
- > Jan 15, 7:04 AM: Public education is a natural monopoly, much like defense and public safety. It is tempting to say that setting up charter schools or a voucher system would induce competition and thus improve outcomes. But the evidence is
- Opinion: School choice offers a chance for everyone
- > Jan 15, 6:29 AM: By exercising school choice, my family has been able to select a school that fits my daughters’ interests, talents and learning styles. We have seen the impact is has made to find a school where Ariana and Michaela are comfortable,
- Senate Dems play nice with deep-pocketed charter school supporters despite progressive opposition
- > Jan 14, 8:08 AM: Deep-pocketed charter school supporters are breathing “a sigh of relief” after Senate Democrats opened their door to donors and lobbyists — a move that could sow division among liberal lawmakers in the state
- Hassan’s past support for charter school funds doesn’t sway Democrat-led committee
- > Jan 13, 8:24 AM: A month after a committee led by Democrats rejected the first wave of a $46 million federal grant to expand the state’s charter schools, state Education Commissioner Frank Edelblut was back before lawmakers Friday asking them to
- Lawmakers Again Reject Federal Money To Expand Charter Schools In N.H.
- Jan 13, 8:21 AM: A group of lawmakers has once again voted to reject a federal grant to expand charter schools in New Hampshire.