- Leland charter school petitions US Supreme Court in continued dress code battle
A Brunswick County charter school is petitioning the US Supreme Court to reconsider a ruling that its dress code violated the constitutional rights of its female pupils.
Sep 14, 5:14 AM:
- Charlotte parents are choosing charter schools. What’s required to enroll your child
More Charlotte parents are choosing charter schools in favor of traditional public schools. In Mecklenburg County, charter school enrollment continues to grow, while numbers have declined in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools since the >
Sep 14, 5:12 AM:
- Edgecombe charter school earns high state ranking
North East Carolina Prep School scored in the top 3 percent of the 2,523 schools in North Carolina, according to the state Department of Public Instruction’s 2021-22 Performance and Growth Report released on Sept. 1.
Sep 14, 4:54 AM:
- Sanford opening new public charter school
A charter school for grades 6-10 will open its first phase and begin its school year Wednesday, Aug. 17, a news release said.
Aug 12, 9:21 AM:
- Charter schools keep expanding in North Carolina
Charter schools — publicly funded schools that are independently run — continue to expand across the state, with 207 charter schools statewide heading into the upcoming school year. Mecklenburg County has 34.
Aug 3, 8:09 AM:
- Chartered Territory | A look at Lee County’s three charter schools
To some, they’re the future of choice-based public education and offer students and families alternative curricula and more options for learning. To others, they’re a drain on North Carolina’s already taxed traditional public >
Aug 3, 7:55 AM:
- Why Putting the ‘Science of Reading’ Into Practice Is So Challenging
North Carolina is one of more than two dozen states that have embarked on an attempt to radically transform reading instruction over the past few years. The goal is to bring instruction in line with the decades of research on how >
Jul 21, 8:03 AM:
- Charter school will expand to old Diggs School
Now in its 20th year, the charter school announced its expansion on Tuesday. It will lease about 14,000 square feet from Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools, which still owns the former Diggs Elementary.
Jul 21, 7:23 AM:
- Teaching college enrollment has plummeted. The NC Teaching Fellows program is fueling limited growth.
- Jul 18, 7:59 AM: Education majors fell since the recession, classroom vacancies are now soaring
- Opinion | Pluralistic society best argument for school choice
- Jul 14, 9:37 AM: It's time to fully acknowledge the differences that we have in society and find ways to alleviate endless cultural wars. School choice expansion can help us accomplish that goal.
- Charter advocates worry about new Biden admin regulations
- Jul 8, 9:10 AM: Charter school advocates are concerned that new public charter school regulations from the Biden administration will harm students and families.
- Summer education programs fight to keep kids engaged for the upcoming year's success
- Jul 7, 5:21 AM: Summer break is a critical time to catch students up before the new school year starts. Education nonprofits and school districts like Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools have already started summer programs.
- Education emerging as key election issue, poll shows
- Jun 30, 1:53 PM: A new poll from a national charter school group indicates that many parents could become single-issue voters on the topic of education.
- Court Of Appeals: Charter Schools Are Public Schools, Must Follow The Same Rules, And Must Ditch Sexist Dress Codes
- > Jun 16, 9:51 AM: The U.S. 4th Circuit Court of Appeals just determined that North Carolina's Charter Day School violated the rights of female students by requiring them to wear skirts. That's a big deal, and there are other large issues at play
- Magnet school grads hailed as trailblazers
- Jun 7, 8:29 AM: They might be small in number, but graduates of Surry Online Magnet School were told that their impact has been huge.
- How diverse are charter schools in Cumberland County? More than others in NC, report shows
- Jun 2, 8:59 AM: The two charter schools in Cumberland County are more diverse than similar schools across the state, school and state records show.
- Opportunity Scholarship defenders boost case for moving challenge to three-judge panel
- > Mar 31, 8:05 AM: The legal fight over North Carolina’s Opportunity Scholarship Program focuses now on whether a single judge or a three-judge panel should hear the case. Lawyers for the state and the scholarships’ parent supporters have filed new
- Raleigh Charter High School senior receives nearly $1 million in scholarships
- Mar 28, 8:12 AM: To say that the 17-year-old Amaya Williams keeps herself busy is an understatement. Aside from being a senior at Raleigh Charter High School, she’s a cheerleader and is chair of the North Carolina State Youth Council.
- Despite a return to in-person learning CMS 3rd-graders falling behind
- Mar 24, 8:01 AM: Preliminary reports show Black and Hispanic 3rd graders at CMS have the lowest amount of students on track in English Language Arts.
- Upstate charter school offers unique experience
- Mar 23, 6:15 AM: Is your child interested in learning a second language? A Greenville charter school is offering something that’s rare in South Carolina and enrollment is open for next year.