- Truxton Academy Charter School gets state approval
- > Oct 19, 7:18 AM: A four-year effort to open a charter school in Cortland County has come to an end after the State University of New York Charter Schools Institute voted Thursday to grant a new charter for the creation of an elementary public
- Success Academy calls out de Blasio for curbing school space
- Oct 19, 6:31 AM: Mayor Bill de Blasio has drastically curbed charter-school accommodations in city buildings, Success Academy officials said at a rally Thursday morning.
- Finn Academy test scores show improvement
- Oct 16, 7:39 AM: Students at Elmira's Finn Academy charter school are seeing higher scores on tests, according to a report released by the state Education Department.
- Regents grapple with achievement gap on state tests
- > Oct 16, 7:37 AM: Pointing to the persistent test-score gap between white and minority students, members of the state Board of Regents on Monday wondered out loud if they could all but dispense with the state’s English and math tests for grades
- Column: Public education has outdated models in critical areas
- Oct 16, 7:30 AM: Public education in America is outdated. Fixing it is crucial to the success of our kids and to creating an economy that provides sufficient wages for middle class prosperity.
- Editorial: Wrong approach on schools
- > Oct 15, 6:19 AM: The state Education Department and the Legislature need to do something about the many schools that consistently perform below standards. But deploying some of the most accomplished teachers against their will isn't the
- GOP state Senate Majority Leader says Dems want to stop charter school growth
- > Oct 15, 5:51 AM: The fate of charters has come to the fore in the battle over which party controls the New York Senate. Republicans hold a slim 32-31 majority — the last bastion of GOP power. New York City is running up against a charter- school
- Opinion: De Blasio & Carranza vs. public school parents: Why won't they give us what we want?
- > Oct 15, 5:41 AM: Over 14,000 children are on waitlists for Success Academy schools. Citywide, a total of 52,000 children are on all charter school waitlists. Clearly, these schools achieve impressive results. Unsurprisingly, there is demand for them
- Bonuses of Up to $8,000 to Teach in Struggling New York Schools
- > Oct 12, 7:21 AM: At 180 public schools in New York City, many in the Bronx, hiring and keeping teachers is a constant struggle. These are schools that are in some of the poorest neighborhoods and are often a long trek from the nearest subway
- With union’s blessing, students at 15 schools in the Bronx will take courses taught remotely
- Oct 12, 5:59 AM: Fifteen Bronx high schools will pilot video-conferencing courses in an effort to expand access to advanced coursework, city officials said Thursday, a pilot program that will last at least three years.
- No Building, No Permits – How a Brownsville Charter School Found a Home
- Oct 11, 6:22 AM: Key Collegiate Charter School director Katie Mazer faced a labyrinth of leases and permits when housing developer Camber Property Group came to the rescue.
- Yonkers Charter School of Educational Excellence to expand with high school grades in 2019
- Oct 9, 6:11 AM: Renovation work has begun at the site of the city's sole charter school, which is expected to open its doors to its first freshman high school class next fall.
- Survey: New York's high school grads feel unprepared
- Oct 9, 5:06 AM: Just a third of recent high school graduates in New York said they were “significantly challenged,” academically, according to a survey from a coalition of education reform, community and business organizations.
- NYC Nears Cap on Charter Schools
- Oct 5, 6:41 AM: Eleven charter schools won approval Thursday to open in New York City in the next two years, bringing the city almost to the maximum that can operate under state law.
- New York City greenlights Success Academy middle school after contentious space fight
- > Oct 4, 5:15 AM: Less than a year after Success Academy lost a battle to open a new middle school in a building shared by a small Brooklyn elementary school, city officials confirmed Wednesday that they plan to give the charter network the green
- Opinion: De Blasio, Carranza are leading NYC schools to a dead end
- Oct 3, 5:21 AM: The implications involved in this change of focus are enormous. Most important, the results of imposing a radical race-based social-justice experiment on schools could be tragic for thousands of children and their families.
- 8 New York City schools — including 2 Success charters — win federal ‘Blue Ribbon’ status for 2018
- > Oct 2, 7:04 AM: A comprehensive high school in Queens, the elementary school once run by former chancellor Carmen Fariña, and two Success Academy charter schools are among the latest New York City schools to be named “Blue Ribbon” schools by the
- Maritime Charter School takes step back on expansion plans after lawsuit
- > Oct 2, 5:53 AM: Western New York Maritime Charter School is re-evaluating its expansion plans after a lawsuit and a request from the state to conduct an environmental assessment and an archaeological study of a site near what once was the burial
- Editorial: Plan for teacher evaluations
- > Oct 1, 6:57 AM: Come January, it will be time for state lawmakers to revisit the subject of teacher evaluations and how test results influence them. They should start those discussions thinking first about students, then other interests, including
- Editorial: Mayor de Blasio and Chancellor Carranza dismiss charter school expansion
- > Oct 1, 6:25 AM: On the same day state test scores showed charter-school students dramatically outscoring traditional public school peers on state English and math tests, including getting a far higher portion of African-American kids to the highest