- Success Academy CEO rips Trump in email to parents, staff
- Aug 18, 7:22 AM: The CEO of the Success Academy charter schools forcefully distanced herself from President Trump in a Thursday note to parents and staff.
- Charter Schools Could Get to Hire Teachers With Only 30 Hours of Training
- > Aug 18, 5:49 AM: Charter school teachers in New York may soon have a far easier road to accreditation than their peers in the city's public schools. Under a plan now open for public comment, charter school teachers will be able to get a license to
- New York education leaders blast charter school teacher certification plan
- Aug 17, 4:58 AM: The state’s top education officials ripped a controversial plan Wednesday to allow charter schools to certify their own teachers.
- Charter School Advocates, City Squabble Over Brooklyn Co-Location Sites
- > Aug 16, 6:31 AM: The pro-charter schools advocacy organization Families for Excellent Schools (FES) and the city’s Department of Education (DOE) were at odds today over exactly how much city-owned space there is in Brooklyn to locate more charter
- Head of Democrats for Education Reform resigned from board of Success Academy, highlighting split in charter world
- > Aug 15, 7:06 AM: Democrats for Education Reform President Shavar Jeffries — who has differed with Success Academy’s leader Eva Moskowitz on how to engage with the Trump administration — resigned from the charter network’s board earlier this summer,
- SUNY mulls plan to let charter school teachers become certified without master's
- Aug 10, 6:28 AM: The proposed certification requirements would only apply to teachers at SUNY-authorized charters. In Upstate New York, charters are either authorized by SUNY or the Board of Regents.
- Charter Schools Boost Performance of Nearby Schools
- Aug 9, 7:22 AM: Anti-school choice activists often argue that charter school expansion hurts existing schools, but a new study of New York City schools found that new charter schools are increasing the performance of schools around them.
- Laura Lavine proposes mayoral takeover of Syracuse schools
- Aug 9, 5:40 AM: Laura Lavine, former superintendent for LaFayette School District, said Tuesday she would pursue a new structure under which the mayor appoints the school board. That board is currently elected by voters.
- Charter schools blast de Blasio over placement applications
- Aug 8, 5:35 AM: Charter school leaders demanded that Mayor de Blasio swiftly sign off on 27 applications for placement in city school buildings in a conference call Monday.
- SUNY gives Finn Academy poor marks
- Aug 2, 6:18 AM: Finn Academy, a charter school in its second year, is still struggling to make the grade — at least according to state education officials.
- Do charter schools hurt their neighboring schools? A new study of New York City schools says no — they help.
- Jul 31, 5:42 AM: Far from hurting existing schools, new charter schools in New York City have actually helped their neighbors improve, according to a new study.
- Charter and District Schools Sharing Innovations: How Philanthropy Can Help
- > Jul 28, 7:48 AM: Philanthropy New York, in collaboration with The Philanthropy Roundtable, hosted an in-depth discussion on innovation sharing between charter and district leaders in New York City. The event gave philanthropists an opportunity to
- Green Charter School gets Albany green light to move forward
- > Jul 28, 6:33 AM: Dr. Carole Reiss, a retired teacher and founder of the proposed school, has been working on getting the school approved for more than seven years; in previous attempts the school's application has been returned by SED for
- Proposal Would Let Charter Schools Certify Their Own Teachers
- Jul 26, 6:04 AM: It is usually a sleepy civic exercise: A proposed change to a specialized bit of state regulations is published in the State Register, officially marking the beginning of a public comment period.
- School claims DOE illegally denied them additional seats
- Jul 25, 6:46 AM: The Department of Education is illegally denying a Downtown Brooklyn charter-school operator space in nearby district buildings — even though they’re filled with hundreds of unused seats, according to the school.
- Here's how parents aim to reduce class sizes of city public schools
- Jul 21, 7:58 AM: Agostini is among a group of parents who filed a complaint with the state education department this month, charging that the city isn't meeting its legal obligation to reduce class sizes in public schools.
- Charter school for dyslexic students passes first Albany hurdle
- Jul 20, 7:45 AM: Bridge Preparatory Charter School for Creative Thinkers, the long-envisioned borough-wide school for dyslexic children, has cleared the first step in its application process in Albany.
- A Rust Belt City's School Turnaround
- Jul 19, 7:28 AM: After decades of distrust and dysfunction, Buffalo makes education a priority with a community-wide commitment.
- Charter supporters among Cuomo’s top re-election donors
- Jul 19, 6:07 AM: Charter-school supporters were among the major donors who helped Gov. Cuomo collect $5 million since January for his 2018 re-election, records show.
- State education officials question another batch of Success Academy charter renewals
- Jul 18, 7:36 AM: Reigniting a debate that flared in April, the board is poised to send a set of Success Academy charter school renewals back to SUNY, the network’s authorizer, rather than approving them.