- BUILD Academy, a school with a proud community legacy, is running out of time
- > Nov 21, 6:34 AM: Long before Buffalo ever had charter schools, it had BUILD Academy. The school on the city's East Side was once the pride of the African-American community and a symbol in its fight for quality education. It infused black culture
- Charter schools draw thousands, with Rochester Prep leading the way
- Nov 21, 5:48 AM: More than one-third of Rochester-area students attending charter schools are at one of Rochester Prep's six schools. Nearly two-thirds of the 3,157 names on charter school waiting lists belong to Rochester Prep as well.
- Lebanon puts brakes on charter idea
- Nov 20, 7:17 AM: The Lebanon School Board isn't discounting the idea of a countywide vocational charter school, but it is going to look at other ways to expand career-technical education, too.
- New charter high school approved for Staten Island
- Nov 17, 7:49 AM: A new charter high school on Staten Island designed to provide an accelerated pathway to higher education was approved by policymakers at the state Department of Education (DOE) this week.
- New York education officials approve five new charter schools for city
- Nov 15, 7:00 AM: State education officials voted Tuesday to approve the creation of five more charter schools in New York City.
- The charter school standoff, explained
- > Nov 15, 6:05 AM: Charter schools have been a point of contention since they were established as part of the state’s public school system in 1998, when then-Gov. George Pataki threatened to veto a legislative pay raise as leverage to get the Charter
- NY rejects state's first 'agri-based' rural charter school in Cortland
- Nov 15, 5:57 AM: Top state education policymakers for the first time have rejected applications for two new charter schools, including one in Truxton in Cortland County.
- Innovating Education
- > Nov 14, 8:17 AM: To say the schools are in demand would be an understatement: This year, more than 17,000 students applied through a random lottery for just 3,000 open seats. But the network has also sparked a tenacious debate about K-12 education
- In a first, New York officials reject 2 proposed charter schools, but sign off on 5 for New York City
- Nov 14, 7:57 AM: New York’s top education policymakers voted Monday to approve five new charter schools in New York City – but, for the first time, rejected two proposed charters.
- Philanthropist gifts $1M to Success Academy charter schools for new chess programs
- > Nov 14, 7:05 AM: Starting in 2018, the annual Dan Feinberg Success in Chess Awards will recognize three Success Academy students who demonstrate significant achievement in the game. The winners will be selected by school officials for showing
- Parental involvement improving at NYC schools after years of struggles, stats show
- > Nov 13, 7:47 AM: Now schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña says data indicate more parents took part in their children's schooling, for the school year that ended in June. She credits a number of new investments and an overhaul of the city’s family
- Battling closure, Harlem charter school enlisted a high-profile PR firm that once repped Ivanka Trump
- Nov 10, 8:05 AM: When New York City tried to shut down Opportunity Charter School’s middle school earlier this year for poor performance, the Harlem charter immediately went on the offensive.
- Success Academy hires dozens of military veterans as part of new initiative
- Nov 10, 7:53 AM: As part of a new initiative, the Success Academy charter school network has hired 40 military veterans to work in a variety of roles across its network, from classroom teachers to business managers.
- Clinton Hill Residents File Objections Against Controversial Charter School Plans
- > Nov 6, 6:46 AM: Today, Clinton Hill residents filed more than 250 letters of objection to the Board of Standards and Appeals to block the approval of a 101-foot high building on a lot that, as they argue, is already overbuilt. The developer plans,
- Granville charter school proposal gets polarized response in Mount Vernon
- > Nov 3, 5:22 AM: Granville, if approved by the Board of Regents at its November meeting, would gradually add 100 students annually — using a lottery system that gives preference to students from the city — starting with sixth grade in the 2018-19
- At a PUC charter school in New York, echoes of Ref Rodriguez's L.A. troubles
- Nov 3, 5:14 AM: When the New York state comptroller’s office recently audited a charter school in Rochester, N.Y., investigators found a number of troubling financial practices, including inadequate oversight.
- Eight Syracuse 'struggling' schools shape up, dodge takeover
- Nov 1, 5:30 AM: Only two schools in the state will be placed under the management of an independent receiver because they did not make enough improvement. Those schools are Build Academy in Buffalo and School 41-Kodak in Rochester.
- Education advocacy group wants teachers union to end boycott over crafting standardized tests
- Oct 30, 6:14 AM: A group supporting tougher education standards is urging the state teachers’ union to reverse its decision to boycott participating in the writing of new standardized math and English tests.
- Supporters Want Charter School For Children With Autism
- > Oct 26, 5:47 AM: Local school officials are eying Nicolet College’s Lakeland campus building in Minocqua as the possible site for a charter school for special-needs students, with a focus on those living with Asperger’s Syndrome and others on the
- SUNY Chancellor says she will monitor new charter school teacher standards
- > Oct 26, 4:44 AM: Dr. Kristina Johnson, who began her job as Chancellor in September, said SUNY will continue to hold the 185 charter schools that it regulates to high standards. However, she does not disagree with a Board of Trustee committee’s