- Nevada lawmakers begin laying out priorities for Democrat-controlled Legislature
- > Nov 19, 6:39 AM: Republicans have long pushed to fund Education Savings Accounts, an issue Democrats are unlikely to budge on given their majority and a Democrat in the governor’s office. Sisolak campaigned on not taking money away from public
- COMMENTARY: How Nevada’s Opportunity Scholarship saved my son from falling through the cracks
- > Nov 12, 6:49 AM: I believe parents know their children best and know what type of education system will fit their needs. Thanks to the $20 million increase in the Opportunity Scholarship last year, I was able to send Garrett to a school that best
- School choice, union groups start early push for funding after elections
- > Nov 9, 9:08 AM: Within days of Tuesday’s results, a pro education choice group released a celebratory statement congratulating Democrat and Republican candidates alike for victories on Tuesday, ahead of its planned effort to push for funding of a
- Nevada To Battle Over School Choice
- > Nov 5, 7:35 AM: With midterm elections quickly approaching, some voters are concerned with how the next state government will fix public schools. Some argue the system is in dire need of funding, others say schools need more competition and that
- Head of Nevada charter school authority submits resignation
- Nov 5, 7:23 AM: The executive director of the State Public Charter School Authority will resign before the end of the year after serving over four years in the position, he announced in a letter to Gov. Brian Sandoval on Friday.
- Reaching Latino Voters: A Q&A with Daniel Garza, head of The LIBRE Initiative
- > Nov 2, 5:30 AM: If the public school is working, well that’s great! The child should stay there, but if the school is failing, if they aren’t providing attention to the child, to the individual, like they should, then parents should have the
- Nevada To Battle Over School Choice
- > Nov 2, 5:26 AM: With midterm elections quickly approaching, some voters are concerned with how the next state government will fix public schools. Some argue the system is in dire need of funding, others say schools need more competition and that
- Nevada governor candidate Adam Laxalt has outgrown his ‘shy side’
- > Oct 25, 6:10 AM: Laxalt is an avid supporter of school choice and wants to fund Education Savings Accounts, a voucher-like program that provides families with money for private school tuition, home-school expenses and other educational
- Letter: Closure of Nevada charter school hurts students, parents
- > Oct 22, 5:49 AM: The Review-Journal’s Oct. 8 editorial “Accountability: Failing charter school shut down” asserts the Nevada State Public Charter School Authority’s action to close Nevada Virtual Academy’s elementary school means students will go to
- CCSD trustees put underperforming charter schools on notice
- Oct 19, 7:13 AM: The Clark County School Board put three underperforming charter schools on notice Thursday night, recommending a reconstitution of the leadership in two schools and a remediation plan for a third.
- NV GOP promises more charter schools, vouchers if key races won
- Oct 18, 4:52 AM: At an education forum Tuesday night, Nevada Republicans issued a warning to their base: School choice policies will be difficult to pass if Democrats control both the state legislature and the governorship.
- Nevada GOP candidates push school choice at Las Vegas rally
- Oct 17, 4:50 AM: Voting pro-school choice candidates into office is the first step to strengthening the Nevada’s public education system, state Sen. Michael Roberson said during a rally Tuesday night.
- EDITORIAL: Accountability: Failing charter school shut down
- > Oct 9, 6:17 AM: The school couldn’t cut it academically, and that hurt its students. But the system governing charter schools worked. One of the great features of charter schools is that there is a formal mechanism in place to close the
- Nevada Virtual Academy to end elementary program
- > Oct 1, 6:17 AM: The online Nevada Virtual Academy charter school will close its elementary program at the end of this school year following its failure to meet academic goals spelled out in an performance-improvement agreement with the State Public
- “More Taxes!” – The Teacher Union’s Solution to Education
- > Oct 1, 4:36 AM: In 2015, Nevada’s Legislature passed the largest one-time tax increase in Nevada history, $1.2 billion of which was, ostensibly, to boost education funding.In 2015, Nevada’s Legislature passed the largest one-time tax increase in
- Online charter school announces closure of its underperforming elementary program
- Sep 25, 5:55 AM: Nevada Virtual Academy’s underperforming elementary program will close at the end of the 2018-2019 school year, officials from the online charter school said last week.
- Opinion: Don't let 2019 Legislature kill Opportunity Scholarships
- > Sep 21, 6:28 AM: The 2015 Nevada Legislature developed a great program that allows businesses to help underprivileged students get a better education. Sadly, like any program that takes money out of government’s hands, the program faces the threat
- Democracy at work: What this Las Vegas inner-city charter school had to endure to pull off memorable upset
- > Sep 20, 5:48 AM: Democracy Prep represents his neighborhood, which is too often characterized more by those drunkenly sleeping in the park than by the accomplishments of its children. The school—which selects students “regardless of race, economic
- Charter school’s use of Lutheran building sparks church-state complaint
- > Sep 19, 5:58 AM: A national group that fights for separation of church and state is taking issue with Discovery Charter’s new campus at the Mt. Olive Lutheran Church in Las Vegas, calling on the school to remove religious symbols from its
- Parents may have say in future of Clark County’s failing schools
- > Sep 18, 5:40 AM: Thirty-six of the 51 underperforming Clark County schools eligible for charter school conversion or new charter competition have another option for improvement: a state-approved petition process that allows parents to decide a path