- Randi Weingarten’s History Lesson: School Choice Helps the Poor (by Jeanne Allen)
- Jul 27, 7:20 AM: Some would have us stop advocating for all parent choice, including vouchers, and, instead, accept the limited options available to low-income and working-class Black families. We must reject those limits.
- DeVos critics cling to status quo of mediocre public schools (CER in the news)
- > Jul 27, 7:13 AM: The bottom line in all this is that we must be careful to recognize that many of America’s public schools are good and some are great. However, vast numbers of them are mediocre at best, and significant increases in funding will
- NAACP: School choice not the answer to improving education for black students
- > Jul 27, 7:12 AM: Education for black students in the United States has long been unequal and inadequate, but the solution to that problem does not lie in the school choice movement, NAACP leaders said at the organization’s national conference
- NAACP releases report on charter schools, cites Detroit and Michigan
- Jul 27, 7:08 AM: Detroit and Michigan figure prominently in an NAACP report released today on charter schools that concluded there are wide problems in the sector nationwide and that called for the elimination of for-profit run charter schools.
- Education advocates spar over DeVos’ school choice agenda (CER in the news)
- Jul 25, 7:49 AM: There isn't much of a consensus on whether school choice policies, specifically voucher programs, are effective or not.
- Black Education Leaders Slam Teachers Union For Comparing School Choice To Segregation
- Jul 25, 7:49 AM: Black school choice advocates and education reformers criticized a teachers union president who compared school choice to segregation during a conference call Monday.
- American Federation of Teachers President Under Fire
- Jul 25, 7:48 AM: American Federation of Teachers president Randi Weingarten, the head of the 1.6 million member teachers union, is under fire for controversial remarks linking private school choice to racial segregation.
- AFT’s Randi Weingarten blasts school-choice reforms as ‘polite cousins of segregation’ (CER in news)
School’s out, but the battle between the teachers’ unions and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos over school choice isn’t taking a summer break. Randi Weingarten, American Federation of Teachers president, argued in a fiery speech >
Jul 24, 7:58 AM:
- ‘It Gave Us a Choice When We Didn’t Have One’: Private School Choice Participants
- Jul 24, 7:57 AM: Private school choice was among the only education pledges made by President Donald Trump on the campaign trail and has been a decades-long focus of advocacy by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.
- Critics of vouchers say they’re marred by racism and exacerbate segregation. Are they right?
- > Jul 24, 7:55 AM: "If vouchers are the polite cousins of segregation, then most urban school districts are segregation’s direct descendants,” responded Kevin Chavous of the American Federation for Children, the school voucher group that U.S.
- Teachers Union Chief: School Choice Rooted in Segregation (CER in the news)
- Jul 21, 8:11 AM: The head of one of the country's leading teachers' unions charged Thursday that school choice, a key policy agenda of the Trump administration, is rooted in segregation and racism.
- DeVos: Backlash to School Choice a ‘Badge of Honor’
- > Jul 21, 8:10 AM: Conservative state legislators pushing school choice policies should consider opposition from “the left” a “badge of honor,” Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos told those gathered at the annual conference of the American Legislative
- Betsy DeVos Speech Greeted By Protesters She Calls ‘Defenders Of The Status Quo’
- Jul 21, 8:07 AM: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos spoke to the annual meeting of the American Legislative Exchange Council, or ALEC, on Thursday in Denver, but protests from left-wing activists and teacher groups started Wednesday.
- Protest of Betsy DeVos reignites debate on school choice
- Jul 20, 8:15 AM: Hundreds of Coloradans protested U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ visit in Denver on Wednesday, largely criticizing her stance on using tax dollars to fund private schools.
- Union leader: School vouchers ‘polite cousins of segregation’
- > Jul 20, 8:14 AM: In a blistering speech slated to be delivered to more than 1,400 teachers here on Thursday, American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten likens U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos to a climate-change denier, saying
- Charter Schools Tackle Shortcomings Of College
- Jul 20, 8:12 AM: Although high school graduation rates have risen in recent years to all-time highs, the nation’s college graduation rate remains far lower than graduates of of our nation’s top colleges might assume.
- Will Churches Ever Be Allowed to Run Charter Schools?
- > Jul 20, 8:09 AM: Trinity Lutheran Church v. Comer invalidated a Missouri rule banning a religious school from participating in a public program, and experts immediately noted it could be used to eliminate legal barriers to private-school voucher
- Ahead of Betsy DeVos’s speech, here’s which states earn ALEC’s education policy praise (CER)
The education secretary is speaking Thursday at ALEC’s annual meeting in Denver. The group, known for pushing model legislation to state governments, shares her view on school choice: more is better.
Jul 19, 7:43 AM:
- The truth about a deeply-flawed report on school choice (by Jeanne Allen)
- > Jul 17, 9:14 AM: The white paper "North Carolina Opportunity Scholarships: Countering a Flawed Duke Report," developed by Brian Jodice of Parents for Educational Freedom in North Carolina, is not only a victory for scholarship choice programs but
- Why school choice should be about possibility — not partisanship
- > Jul 17, 9:12 AM: Journalist Gayle Tzemach Lemmon’s mother — a union Democrat who worked at the phone company during the day and sold Tupperware at night — lied about her address so Lemmon could attend a better elementary school. Lemmon talks about