- Why Some Unions Are Losing Members
- Nov 21, 9:10 AM: Some public-workers unions are experiencing steep losses of members and fees, dips largely triggered by a 2018 Supreme Court ruling that gave members an out.
- Georgia leaders, issues come up late in debate
- > Nov 21, 9:02 AM: One of the more entertaining ore-debate demonstrations came courtesy of a marching band promoting the Freedom Coalition for Charter Schools. The band parades along Hardee Avenue outside the studio. Kimberley Dukes of the Powerful
- Closing The Choice Gap In American Education
- Nov 21, 9:01 AM: We hear a lot about education achievement gaps, learning gaps and opportunity gaps between different groups of students, typically based on socioeconomic status, race or ethnicity.
- Opinion: The Big Lie About Charter Schools
When a family moves out of a district, the district loses state and federal money for its child’s education, but no one accuses the family of draining funds from the district. When parents move their child to a private school, no >
Nov 20, 8:44 AM:
- Burdensome Student Loan Debt Is Contributing To The Country’s Teacher Shortage Crisis
- > Nov 19, 9:02 AM: The country’s crushing student loan debt has been dominating education news — from the campaign trail to the recent resignation of a Trump administration senior student-loan official who called the student-loan system “fundamentally
- Study finds fewer foreign undergraduates in U.S. colleges — the first drop in 13 years
- Nov 18, 9:10 AM: The foreign undergraduate head count in U.S. colleges and universities fell about 2 percent in the last school year, the first annual decline on that measure in more than a decade, according to a study.
- Cory Booker: Stop Being Dogmatic About Public Charter Schools
- Nov 18, 9:07 AM: We can’t dismiss good ideas because they don’t fit into neat ideological boxes or don’t personally affect some of the louder, more privileged voices in the party.
- Commentary: Beware Warren’s ‘Madisonian’ Plan for Public Education
- > Nov 18, 9:04 AM: Ms. Warren’s website says her plan would “ensure that every student has access to a meaningful, high-quality public education.” But this approach to education has already been tried in the progressive utopia of Madison, Wis., and it
- Great Hearts charter schools are making waves by serving mostly middle-class families
- Nov 18, 8:54 AM: The school network bucks the assumption that charter schools should exist to serve low-income students.
- Opinion: Free college tuition won’t work, no matter what progressive Democrats tell you
- > Nov 15, 9:42 AM: Eliminating tuition sounds like a utopian good, but it misses the mark. It ignores the biggest reason students aren’t earning college degrees — an appallingly high dropout rate — and it may make the situation
- Opinion: Teachers Unions Have the Cure for What Ails America’s Schools
- > Nov 15, 9:41 AM: Teachers have come under considerable scrutiny in recent decades, and everybody claims to have the silver-bullet reform that will fix education. No Child Left Behind, Race to the Top, Common Core, charter schools, raising the
- Switching Schools Shouldn’t Be the Hard Part for Military Families
- > Nov 14, 8:47 AM: Congress has an opportunity to help the 1.3 million school-age children who sacrifice for their country because of their parents’ military service. The Education Savings Accounts for Military Families Act, sponsored by Sens. Ben
- National Reading Emergency: Educators Sound the Alarm
- Nov 13, 9:05 AM: STUDENTS IN THE U.S. are getting worse at reading, and a dozen education and civil rights organizations sounded the alarm over what they say is a national crisis.
- Opinion: Democrats need a charter-school education: Presidential candidates’ plans could most harm black and Hispanic kids
- > Nov 13, 9:03 AM: As the leaders of public charter school networks, we agree with the current Democratic presidential candidates that every student should have access to a great education. Sadly, however, some of their proposals to cut funding to
- Study to explore differences among charter, private and public schools
- > Nov 13, 9:00 AM: Two University of Kentucky researchers are working with faculty at the University of Notre Dame and the University of Washington-Bothell to uncover how school voucher programs -- and more broadly, school choice -- impact long-term
- AP-NORC poll: Many say high school diploma enough to succeed
- > Nov 11, 9:32 AM: Although most young Americans believe in the value of higher education, many still consider a high school diploma alone to be enough for success, according to a survey of teens and young adults by The Associated Press-NORC Center
- Opinion: Warren’s ginormous school-choice hypocrisy
- > Nov 11, 9:31 AM: Elizabeth Warren proudly opposes school choice — for your kids. She apparently could afford to take her own son out of the public-school system and enroll him in a private school, yet her education policies would deny that choice to
- Opinion: Remove obstacles that keep veterans from earning college degrees
- > Nov 11, 9:27 AM: If we are going to serve the veterans of our armed forces the way we expect them to serve our country, this must change. All 2020 presidential candidates need to sharply focus on the challenges our veterans face in trying to earn a
- Arizona’s Success with Charter Schools Is a Model Other States Would Be Wise to Follow
- Nov 8, 9:17 AM: States would do well to take a long, hard look at Arizona’s demand-driven education system. They’d like what they saw.