- Conservatives to DeVos: Be careful what you wish for on school choice
- Mar 29, 7:35 AM: By her own admission, U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos came here to push the USA’s public education system to support not just public schools, but also private and religious schools.
- National charter school leaders oppose Trump’s education budget
- Mar 29, 7:14 AM: The Breakthrough charter schools here in Cleveland today joined a group of 20 high-scoring charter school operators in opposing President Donald Trump's education budget.
- Trump Nixes Obama-era Rules for New Federal K-12 Law
- > Mar 28, 7:21 AM: President Donald Trump is set to sign into law Monday the two resolutions that roll back Obama-era regulations that inform state education officials how they are supposed to implement the new federal education law, the Every Student
- Trump School Choice Proposals Drive Wedge Between Charter School Advocates
- > Mar 24, 7:18 AM: The Trump administration's plan to ax $9 billion in federal education spending but direct millions to a new program that would help students afford private school exposed a fissure among charter school advocates, one not publicly
- Key Democratic senator outlines a case against school vouchers
- > Mar 23, 6:47 AM: Sen. Patty Murray of Washington, a key Democratic leader on education policy, made her case against private-school vouchers in a 20-page memo to her Senate colleagues Wednesday, arguing that “school choice” sounds good in theory but
- CER Releases the 17th Edition of its National Charter School Law Ranking
- > Mar 22, 7:13 AM: The Center for Education Reform (CER) today released its annual ranking of charter school laws for the states and the District of Columbia, giving fewer than a quarter of state charter school laws in the U.S. above-average
- Will More Charter Teachers Unionize? (CER in the news)
- > Mar 20, 7:20 AM: Despite their rapid expansion, very few charter schools are unionized. But that may soon be changing. Teachers at Noble Network, the largest charter school network in Chicago, announced their decision to form a union ("Chicago
- Trump Budget Proposal Would Boost School Choice
- > Mar 17, 7:21 AM: The blueprint offers the first concrete insight into the administration's education policy priorities and would make good on the Trump team's goals of shrinking the federal government and helping students in failing schools by
- Union: Trump plan takes ‘cleaver’ to public schools
- Mar 17, 7:20 AM: President Donald Trump’s proposed budget, which includes cuts to public education, misses the mark by a long shot, according to the American Federation of Teachers.
- Robust school choice and strong public schools – can US have both?
- Mar 15, 7:16 AM: Cities with many charter schools – like Washington and Cleveland – are finding tension but also collaboration between public schools and school choice alternatives.
- Top 3 reasons Congress should support school choice in Washington, DC (CER in the news)
- > Mar 14, 7:15 AM: It took a while, but an education bill of immediate importance to children in Washington, D.C., schools, and of symbolic importance to every child in the country, was passed by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee
- DeVos tells big-city school superintendents she believes in ‘great public schools’
Education Secretary Betsy DeVos told urban school superintendents on Monday that her agency intends to support their work and that “great public schools” should be among the education options available to families. >
Mar 14, 6:56 AM:
- Senate overturns Obama-era regulations on teacher preparation
- Mar 9, 8:08 AM: The Senate voted 59 to 40 Wednesday to overturn Obama administration regulations meant to ensure that new K-12 public school teachers are ready for the nation’s classrooms.
- School choice is the right choice
- Mar 7, 8:04 AM: The crisis in K-12 education has hurt poor and working-class parents immensely. Advocates must be the voice for the voiceless and give greater choices to parents whose children are trapped in failing schools.
- For Trump and DeVos, a Florida Private School Is a Model for Choice
- > Mar 6, 8:14 AM: President Trump on Friday hailed a Florida school tuition assistance program as the future of education, joining Betsy DeVos, his education secretary, at a Catholic elementary classroom to kick off an intense political battle on
- Are Charter Schools Overrated? (CER in the news)
- Mar 3, 8:06 AM: Are charter schools overrated? Four education experts debated the question before an audience in New York City Wednesday night and most people agreed after hearing arguments that the charter school movement needs work.
- Trump’s Call for School Vouchers Is a Return to a Campaign Pledge
- > Mar 2, 7:57 AM: President Trump, returning to a promise that won him cheers on the campaign trail, signaled in his first address to Congress on Tuesday that he will move aggressively to allow more public school students to use tax money to pay for
- Trump to tout voucher plan for disadvantaged children at Catholic school in Florida
- Mar 2, 7:54 AM: On the heels of his call for an education bill to fund school choice nationwide, President Trump will visit a Catholic school in Orlando, Florida, on Friday to promote school vouchers.
- In Education, America Remains a Nation at Risk (CER in the news)
- > Mar 1, 8:04 AM: This spring will mark 34 years since the landmark report, A Nation at Risk: The Imperative for Educational Reform, was issued. Yet, today, how many have even heard of the then-earth-shaking report that, while drawing the ire of many
- Trump repeats his push for a school voucher program. But how would it be accomplished?
- Mar 1, 7:59 AM: President Trump announced steps toward creating a national school voucher program during his speech to Congress on Tuesday night.