- Editorial: Want better schools in Missouri? Hire quality teachers, and pay them well
- > Jul 17, 4:57 AM: The 21st century demands a quality, well-educated workforce, and education is the best investment taxpayers can make to achieve that goal. The best investment in education is paying good public school teachers good money. It’s a
- New charter school will let students direct their learning
- > Jul 12, 4:58 AM: At Kairos, students will decide their schedules, learn from Chromebooks and work in groups rather than listen to lectures. On Wednesday, the Missouri Charter Public School Commission, which will sponsor the school, gave Kairos the
- New law gives charter schools leeway to enroll more disadvantaged students
- Jul 11, 5:24 AM: Missouri charter schools will now be able to give preference to poor or struggling students in its lottery admissions system.
- Charter school parents deserve a say in lawsuit that threatens their schools, federal appeals court rules
- Jul 6, 6:38 AM: Charter school parents have standing to intervene in a lawsuit that may threaten their schools' funding, a federal appeals court judge said in a ruling issued Thursday that reverses a previous district court decision.
- Catholic schools launch marketing initiative
- > Jul 3, 5:10 AM: The leadership at the local Catholic elementary schools — Cathedral, St. Francis Xavier and St. James — and Bishop LeBlond High School announced their new website, St. Joseph Catholic Schools, in addition to a marketing campaign.
- Grand Center Arts Academy saves itself by combining with Confluence charter schools
- > Jul 2, 6:36 AM: The two school agencies already share the same board and administration, so virtually nothing will change about the schools themselves, Confluence CEO Candice Carter-Oliver said. No staff will be cut, and students will see no
- St. Louis' North Side charter school to expand with a middle school
- > Jul 2, 4:44 AM: North Side Principal Stella Erondu said parents had been asking her to expand to middle school grades. Parents and school leaders say they see a need for more quality public middle schools for students who finish fifth grade at
- Poor performing Missouri charter school set to close this week sues to stay open
- > Jun 27, 6:54 AM: Benjamin Banneker Charter Academy in Kansas City is preparing to close its doors this week but school officials aren’t going without a fight. They have sued the State of Missouri in an attempt to stay open and have been in a legal
- UMKC Partnership To Prepare Urban Principals Is 'Missing Piece' From Teacher To Leader
- > Jun 25, 7:10 AM: Asha Moore just finished her ninth year teaching. She loves being an educator, but she isn’t returning to the classroom in the fall. Instead, she’ll be taking over the dean of students job at the Academy for Integrated Arts, a
- New law expands student access to online schooling
- > Jun 22, 4:55 AM: Senate Bill 603 created the Missouri Course Access and Virtual School Program, which will allow students grades K-12 to enroll in online classes through state-approved providers at the cost of their school district. The bill was
- Editorial: Missouri educators must proceed cautiously with virtual learning
- > Jun 4, 6:54 AM: Expanding online course access for Missouri high school students in districts that don’t provide advanced classes to prepare students for college is a worthy idea. The Legislature recently passed and sent to the governor a bill
- New Kansas City charter school seeks to expand STEM opportunities for girls
- Jun 1, 5:03 AM: The Kansas City Public School System is opening a charter school designed to give girls a stronger emphasis in STEM education.
- KC girls-only charter school gets approval to open in 2019
- May 31, 4:59 AM: The Missouri Charter Public School Commission on Wednesday approved the Kansas City Girls Preparatory Academy, whose curriculum will focus on science, technology, engineering, art and math.
- Public schools would have to pay for private virtual schools under new Missouri plan
- > May 30, 5:03 AM: Missouri public school students in kindergarten through 12th grade could take online courses for free, with their school district or charter school picking up the tab, under legislation that passed the Missouri House and Senate this
- Missouri Senate’s special session leaves state school board in continued limbo
- > May 29, 6:56 AM: State education officials insist business is taking place and schools are open and running. But the to-do list for the state board is getting longer. Because the board hasn’t met, a half-dozen charter schools need their
- After Turnaround, York Elementary Outshines Newer, More Affluent Schools Academically
- > May 29, 5:22 AM: In an aging school in one of Springfield's highest poverty neighborhoods, students are outperforming their peers academically. York Elementary, which used to be one of Springfield's lowest-scoring schools, mounted a successful
- Commentary: Kansas City can find a middle path between public and charter schools
- > May 15, 4:50 AM: In recent Star guest commentaries, Kansas City School Board member Jennifer Wolfsie and University Academy charter school chairman Bush Helzberg made different cases for what they think is wrong with Kansas City’s
- How Kansas City’s Complex Racial History Is Still Influencing Education Choices
- > May 9, 4:44 AM: It’s an important distinction in a metro bisected by a state line, in a city with dozens of charters, in a school district state lawmakers intentionally kept small. This is a place where the quality of education often depends on
- Opinion: Charter schools deliver results to Kansas City students
- > May 3, 7:01 AM: Fragmentation in the district is a result of Missouri legislators passing a charter school law 20 years ago as a means of addressing the consistently poor performance of the district over many decades. The district’s failure has
- This public charter school became the whitest in the KC district. It's trying to change
- May 2, 7:13 AM: The Academie Lafayette charter school is the whitest public school in Kansas City. Nearly 70 percent of its students are white.