- GOP House OKs DPS rescue package over Dem opposition
- > Jun 3, 5:41 AM: The main bill in the package, approved by the narrowest of margins in a 55-53 vote because of uniform Democratic opposition, calls for school board elections in November but does not include a Senate-approved education commission,
- Duggan: Detroit school chaos ‘driving people away’
- Jun 2, 7:01 AM: Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan on Wednesday shared his high hopes for Detroit’s revival, but stressed that the chaos surrounding its school system is why “we’re driving people away."
- Plans for SVSU-backed charter school shelved after application pulled
- > Jun 2, 5:58 AM: After uproar from Ferndale Public Schools officials and local representatives, plans to open a charter school sponsored by Saginaw Valley State University within the Ferndale district’s boundaries have stopped and will not be going
- $617M deal fails DPS, Duggan says
- > Jun 2, 5:09 AM: Mayor Mike Duggan on Wednesday implored the state’s business and civic leaders to oppose a $617 million compromise Detroit Public Schools bailout that doesn’t include a citywide commission to regulate where schools can open in the
- Several charters back Duggan push for education panel
- Jun 1, 5:10 AM: Several well-known charter school operators backed Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan at a press conference this morning as he made another public push for a commission that would oversee the city's schools.
- Charter lobby accuses Duggan of ‘bare-knuckle’ politics
- > May 31, 5:47 AM: Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan invited 30 charter school operators and DPS Transition Manager Steven Rhodes to dinner at the Manoogian Mansion Thursday night to talk about the Detroit Education Commission and issues facing schools in
- East Detroit blocks having CEO named for 4 schools
East Detroit Schools has obtained a temporary restraining order to stop the state School Reform Office from appointing a CEO to lead four of the district’s schools.
May 31, 5:13 AM:
- Duggan’s plan: Fix education for all kids
- May 31, 4:48 AM: The fate of a proposed commission that would oversee Detroit schools may hinge on Mayor Mike Duggan's ability to win over charter operators in the city.
- Coalition opposes DPS deal without school-limit group
- May 27, 5:56 AM: Leaders of a coalition of Detroit business and civic leaders are lining up against any potential deal to save Detroit Public Schools from massive debt that does not include a mechanism for closing academically failing schools.
- SVSU won’t authorize Ferndale charter school after opposition voiced
- May 26, 6:20 AM: A charter school company that applied to open a school in the Ferndale area has withdrawn that application in the wake of strong resistance to the plan.
- Community demands accountability at the Detroit charter school where eight teachers were fired
- > May 26, 6:08 AM: Parents, teachers, students, and members of the Michigan Alliance of Charter Teachers and Staff gathered at the Tuesday board meeting for Universal Academy, a charter school on Detroit's west side, where eight teachers were fired in
- Competition for students creates winners, losers among school districts
- May 23, 6:49 AM: The loss of students over the past decade has been slower in Washtenaw County than across the state as a whole, but some local districts have fared better than others.
- Proposed charter school for Ferndale rejected
- May 23, 6:32 AM: Plans to open a charter school in the Ferndale Public Schools have been shelved in the wake of opposition from the district and revelations that the would-be operator has a felony record.
- Cotter: DPS rescue can’t be at expense of charters
- > May 20, 7:20 AM: House Speaker Kevin Cotter said Thursday a plan to overhaul Detroit Public Schools “can’t be about saving” the state’s largest school district from a financial collapse at the expense of independently operated charter
- Online alternatives expand options for home-based learners
- May 20, 6:20 AM: Faced with three options – send Eli to the school for emotionally impaired in Owosso, move or rent an apartment in a larger school district, or try home school – they decided to try home-based virtual learning.
- Ferndale area charter school on hold amid controversy
- May 20, 6:14 AM: Plans to open a charter school in the Ferndale Public Schools are on hold, at least for the coming school year, in the wake of opposition from the district and revelations that the would-be operator has a felony record.
- Officials explore Interlochen options
- May 18, 7:10 AM: Kingsley Area Schools could expand its reach after discussions between district officials and representatives from Green Lake Township centered on opening a charter school in Interlochen.
- Virtual school coming to Ionia in Fall 2016
- > May 18, 6:15 AM: This comes after the school board unanimously voted for approval of a virtual school during Monday night's board meeting. Douglas R. Welch High School Principal Jon Duley brought the proposal before the school board which he hopes
- Report: DPS rescue legislation driven by big Lansing donors
- May 17, 6:32 AM: Mauger says the DPS rescue has largely become a “philosophical debate” about charter schools in Detroit, and whether they should be subject to greater regulation.
- Snyder seeks education commission to revamp state’s schools
- May 17, 6:30 AM: Gov. Rick Snyder wants to rethink how students are being educated in Michigan, and he's launching a commission to do just that.