- Jacques: Busting the charter school myth (CER in the news)
- > Apr 3, 7:59 AM: The fact they go to such great lengths is a powerful testament to the value of these schools. Parents who are disappointed with Detroit Public Schools are making choices based on a variety of factors, from better academics to school
- Charter school leaves flyers on windshields during forum on Flint school closings
- Apr 1, 7:00 AM: If Flint parents who attended a recent forum on the Flint School District's plans for closing more schools were disgruntled, they didn't have to look far for a charter school willing to teach their kids.
- Return DPS to school board, shut EAA, coalition urges
- > Mar 31, 5:21 AM: A coalition of community and business leaders issued a report Monday calling for the state to return control of Detroit Public Schools to an elected school board, assume $350 million in DPS debt and give a mayoral-appointed
- Student exodus saps Detroit school finances
- Mar 30, 6:46 AM: Detroit can't keep its schoolchildren: Each day, an estimated 25,000 school-age children go to suburban districts, leaving seats empty in classrooms citywide.
- Detroit schools’ finances are in free-fall
- Mar 26, 8:38 AM: Detroit Public Schools is $53 million behind in pension payments, costing the cash-strapped district $7,600 a day in interest penalties — or the equivalent of one child's annual state funding grant.
- Michigan takes 7 charter authorizers off ‘at-risk’ list
- Mar 26, 6:35 AM: Michigan’s superintendent of schools on Wednesday removed seven of 11 charter school authorizers from an “at-risk of suspension” list, saying they have improved oversight.
- Detroit charter schools show gains, but lag behind state
- > Mar 26, 5:11 AM: The average Detroit charter school student is showing stronger academic improvement than peers in Detroit Public Schools, according to a report that found similar gains for charter students in many of the 41 urban regions studied
- Move to limit school choice at East Detroit reversed
- Mar 24, 4:54 AM: Moved by the outcry from more than 200 teachers and union members, the East Detroit Public Schools board voted to reverse a decision to restrict enrollment to students only from the county.
- Dearborn school leader chosen state superintendent
- Mar 19, 8:53 AM: The State Board of Education voted 7-1 Wednesday to hire Dearborn schools chief Brian Whiston as the next state superintendent of public instruction.
- Board: Snyder’s school reform plan violates constitution
- > Mar 18, 4:52 AM: The State Board of Education today unanimously asked Gov. Rick Snyder to reconsider the transfer of the state school reform office from the Michigan Department of Education to a state office directly under his control, saying the
- Skillman CEO leads charge for change in Detroit schools
- > Mar 17, 6:16 AM: Today, two decades later, school-age children face the same prospects in Detroit, where education operates like a revolving door, with students attending multiple public, charter and private schools, in some cases in the same school
- Detroit group upset with Snyder’s school reform move
- > Mar 16, 5:23 AM: Two leaders of a Detroit coalition preparing to give Gov. Rick Snyder recommendations for improving the city’s public schools are upset with Snyder’s abrupt decision to take control of a state agency charged with turning around
- MI Takeover
Governor plans to place state turnaround district under his direct oversight. District first created in 2011, governor hopes to have more influence over its success. Observers claim it's a statement that governor wants to continue >
Mar 13, 4:33 AM:
- Reports: Snyder may reassign failing-schools authority
- > Mar 12, 5:36 AM: The State Board of Education today narrowed the field of state superintendent candidates to three, even as controversy swirled around reports that Gov. Rick Snyder is considering removing a major function from the Michigan
- Michigan’s high school grad rate highest since 2006
- > Mar 6, 8:48 AM: The state Center for Educational Performance and Information released graduation rate data today for the 2013-14 school year that shows the rate was 78.58%, up 1.6 percentage points from 2012-13. In 2009-10, the state's rate was
- State superintendent: ‘Pause’ needed on charter schools
- > Mar 6, 6:28 AM: State school Superintendent Mike Flanagan's call Thursday for lawmakers to reinstate a cap on charter schools until financially troubled school districts can "stabilize enrollments" comes as Detroit's fractured public education
- New charter school emphasizing environmental studies to open in fall 2015 in Oshtemo Township
- Mar 5, 7:05 AM: Great Lakes Explorations Academy, a charter school emphasizing outdoor and environmental-focused curriculum, will open this fall in Oshtemo Township, according to American Quality Schools Corp.
- DPS announces restructuring as coalition report nears
- > Mar 4, 9:33 AM: Detroit Public Schools Emergency Manager Darnell Earley on Tuesday announced a restructuring plan aimed at stabilizing the district’s finances, boosting academic performance and preparing for possible changes to be recommended by a
- Should The State Have More Regulations Around Charter Schools?
- > Feb 24, 7:12 AM: A recent Education Trust-Midwest report on charter authorizers made waves in education-advocacy circles last week, with poor marks for many groups that oversee Michigan's K-12 charter schools. Governor Rick Snyder’s upcoming
- Charter authorizer report card gets mixed reviews (CER in the news)
- Feb 20, 12:56 PM: The National Association of Charter School Authorizers called a new report that grades Michigan's authorizers a "step in the right direction" as the state continues to discuss improving charter authorizing.