- Group proposes to close failing schools and create a zone of innovation
- Apr 8, 6:48 AM: The Great Lakes Education Project has proposed closing Pontiac High School and other schools in Southeastern Michigan and sending their students to surrounding schools in what would be called an Education Innovation Zone.
- Jacques: Busting the charter school myth (CER in the news)
- > Apr 3, 7:59 AM: The fact they go to such great lengths is a powerful testament to the value of these schools. Parents who are disappointed with Detroit Public Schools are making choices based on a variety of factors, from better academics to school
- Charter school leaves flyers on windshields during forum on Flint school closings
- Apr 1, 7:00 AM: If Flint parents who attended a recent forum on the Flint School District's plans for closing more schools were disgruntled, they didn't have to look far for a charter school willing to teach their kids.
- Return DPS to school board, shut EAA, coalition urges
- > Mar 31, 5:21 AM: A coalition of community and business leaders issued a report Monday calling for the state to return control of Detroit Public Schools to an elected school board, assume $350 million in DPS debt and give a mayoral-appointed
- Student exodus saps Detroit school finances
- Mar 30, 6:46 AM: Detroit can't keep its schoolchildren: Each day, an estimated 25,000 school-age children go to suburban districts, leaving seats empty in classrooms citywide.
- Detroit schools’ finances are in free-fall
- Mar 26, 8:38 AM: Detroit Public Schools is $53 million behind in pension payments, costing the cash-strapped district $7,600 a day in interest penalties — or the equivalent of one child's annual state funding grant.
- Michigan takes 7 charter authorizers off ‘at-risk’ list
- Mar 26, 6:35 AM: Michigan’s superintendent of schools on Wednesday removed seven of 11 charter school authorizers from an “at-risk of suspension” list, saying they have improved oversight.
- Detroit charter schools show gains, but lag behind state
- > Mar 26, 5:11 AM: The average Detroit charter school student is showing stronger academic improvement than peers in Detroit Public Schools, according to a report that found similar gains for charter students in many of the 41 urban regions studied
- Move to limit school choice at East Detroit reversed
- Mar 24, 4:54 AM: Moved by the outcry from more than 200 teachers and union members, the East Detroit Public Schools board voted to reverse a decision to restrict enrollment to students only from the county.
- Dearborn school leader chosen state superintendent
- Mar 19, 8:53 AM: The State Board of Education voted 7-1 Wednesday to hire Dearborn schools chief Brian Whiston as the next state superintendent of public instruction.
- Board: Snyder’s school reform plan violates constitution
- > Mar 18, 4:52 AM: The State Board of Education today unanimously asked Gov. Rick Snyder to reconsider the transfer of the state school reform office from the Michigan Department of Education to a state office directly under his control, saying the
- Skillman CEO leads charge for change in Detroit schools
- > Mar 17, 6:16 AM: Today, two decades later, school-age children face the same prospects in Detroit, where education operates like a revolving door, with students attending multiple public, charter and private schools, in some cases in the same school
- Detroit group upset with Snyder’s school reform move
- > Mar 16, 5:23 AM: Two leaders of a Detroit coalition preparing to give Gov. Rick Snyder recommendations for improving the city’s public schools are upset with Snyder’s abrupt decision to take control of a state agency charged with turning around
- MI Takeover
Governor plans to place state turnaround district under his direct oversight. District first created in 2011, governor hopes to have more influence over its success. Observers claim it's a statement that governor wants to continue >
Mar 13, 4:33 AM:
- Reports: Snyder may reassign failing-schools authority
- > Mar 12, 5:36 AM: The State Board of Education today narrowed the field of state superintendent candidates to three, even as controversy swirled around reports that Gov. Rick Snyder is considering removing a major function from the Michigan
- Michigan’s high school grad rate highest since 2006
- > Mar 6, 8:48 AM: The state Center for Educational Performance and Information released graduation rate data today for the 2013-14 school year that shows the rate was 78.58%, up 1.6 percentage points from 2012-13. In 2009-10, the state's rate was
- State superintendent: ‘Pause’ needed on charter schools
- > Mar 6, 6:28 AM: State school Superintendent Mike Flanagan's call Thursday for lawmakers to reinstate a cap on charter schools until financially troubled school districts can "stabilize enrollments" comes as Detroit's fractured public education
- New charter school emphasizing environmental studies to open in fall 2015 in Oshtemo Township
- Mar 5, 7:05 AM: Great Lakes Explorations Academy, a charter school emphasizing outdoor and environmental-focused curriculum, will open this fall in Oshtemo Township, according to American Quality Schools Corp.
- DPS announces restructuring as coalition report nears
- > Mar 4, 9:33 AM: Detroit Public Schools Emergency Manager Darnell Earley on Tuesday announced a restructuring plan aimed at stabilizing the district’s finances, boosting academic performance and preparing for possible changes to be recommended by a
- Should The State Have More Regulations Around Charter Schools?
- > Feb 24, 7:12 AM: A recent Education Trust-Midwest report on charter authorizers made waves in education-advocacy circles last week, with poor marks for many groups that oversee Michigan's K-12 charter schools. Governor Rick Snyder’s upcoming