- New charter schools eyed for Haverhill students
- > Aug 17, 6:20 AM: The applicants are part of a new wave of proposals recently received by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). In all, four groups are seeking to open new charter schools, and four already established charter
- New charter schools proposed for Haverhill, Lawrence, Lynn
- > Aug 16, 4:49 AM: Three new charter schools, with room for 1,160 students, have been proposed for Haverhill, Lawrence, and Lynn, while the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education also is considering the KIPP charter school’s request to add
- Charter school proposals would add nearly 5,400 seats
- > Aug 14, 7:00 AM: Four groups are looking to open new charter schools in Massachusetts, and four existing charter schools are hoping to boost their enrollment. The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education has received proposals
- Superintendent doesn’t ‘see a need’ for proposed new arts school in Worcester
- > Aug 11, 6:00 AM: Superintendent Maureen Binienda this week had a tepid response to a local group’s intention of starting a new public innovation school for the arts in the city, saying the Worcester school system already provides enough
- Charter school proposals would add nearly 5,000 seats in Mass.
- > Aug 11, 5:55 AM: Four groups are looking to open new charter schools in Massachusetts and four existing charter schools are hoping to boost their enrollment. The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education said Thursday it
- Amherst-Pelham, Chinese Charter officials having written words regarding dispute over enrollment numbers
- Aug 10, 6:40 AM: School officials here and at the Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion Charter School are having a written war of words over enrollment numbers that have led to financial difficulties for Pelham Elementary School.
- Hadley charter school looks to increase enrollment
- Aug 8, 6:45 AM: The school expects to have at least 30 more kids enrolled for the next academic year, which starts August 30. They’ve asked the state to allow them to double their enrollment, to a maximum of 1,036 students.
- Some charter school leaders’ pay far outpaces their public rivals
- Aug 2, 6:30 AM: The median pay package for the top leaders of the 16 charter schools in Boston was $170,000 last year, making most of them among the highest-paid public school officials in Boston, according to a Globe review of payroll data.
- Grant set to help BART Charter Public School share info with traditional public schools
- Jul 31, 6:36 AM: The Berkshire Arts and Technology Charter Public School has received a $244,070 grant to collaborate with traditional public schools in Adams, Cheshire and North Adams.
- Catholic school enrollment declines throughout Massachusetts and the nation
- Jul 27, 6:53 AM: When summer vacation ends in just over one month, at least three Catholic schools in Massachusetts will not be welcoming students back for a new school year.
- Old Sturbridge Academy Charter School set to open Aug. 30
- Jul 26, 6:05 AM: The region’s newest charter school, on track to open as scheduled for the upcoming school year, is enjoying a “busy but smooth” summer of preparation, its executive director said Tuesday.
- Diocese seeks to boost Catholic school enrollment
- > Jul 24, 6:45 AM: Part of the Diocese's new vision is increasing and updating its facilities, dropping tuition and bringing in administrators with a background in business — all risks which the leadership believes can combat dwindling
- Number of school choice participants increases again in Worcester
- Jul 24, 6:08 AM: Once again, more students left the city schools through school choice this past year than the year before, according to a new report from the school department.
- After charter school error leaves Pelham school with big deficit, state rep looks for funding options
- > Jul 21, 5:53 AM: State Rep. Solomon Goldstein-Rose said Thursday he is looking to see what kind of financial help he can get for the Pelham Elementary School budget following a reporting error on the number of Pelham students attending the Pioneer
- Charter school advocates refocus, but foes skeptical
- > Jul 19, 7:22 AM: Parent advocates for last year’s charter school expansion ballot initiative have reorganized to focus on affordable housing, safer communities and better schools for all kids, but critics say they believe the group is laying the
- Performing arts charter school gets new leader
- Jul 18, 6:20 AM: After months of controversy surrounding its head of school, a South Hadley charter school welcomed a new leader earlier this month.
- Embattled Mystic Valley Regional Charter School reported wrong data to state
- > Jul 17, 7:19 AM: A Malden charter school that recently faced criticism for banning certain hairstyles reported erroneous information to regulators about the number of students who left during the academic year, according to state education
- Fighting for schools one sale at a time
- Jul 17, 6:51 AM: Gabriel, who works as a tutor at Frances Drake Elementary School, is considering sending her daughter to a charter school if the elementary level LEAP accelerated learning program can't be funded next year.
- School choice costing Gloucester $1.9M
- Jul 17, 5:52 AM: The city school system lost more than $1.9 million this past year — money that went to educating 297 city students in other school districts under the state's school choice provisions, state statistics show.
- Warwick Community School could become Horace Mann charter school
- Jul 5, 6:15 AM: At the request of Pioneer Valley Regional School District School Committee member David Young, community members have been asked to consider making Warwick Community School a Horace Mann charter school.