- Education debate pivots on approaches to funding, innovation
- > Mar 20, 5:34 AM: Madeloni alleged that by supporting innovation partnership zones and failing to fully reimburse districts that lose funding to charter schools, Baker "follows the lead of his party's president, Donald Trump, and his party's
- Vocational programs growing at Attleboro High
- Mar 14, 6:05 AM: Criminal justice, early education, medical, and plumbing all have the maximum students allowed, Ann Montagano, director of career and technical education, told the school committee Monday night.
- 2 new middle schools to open in existing buildings in Holyoke
- > Mar 8, 8:06 AM: Such a change has been sought for several years by parents and others in the community who want settings more suitable to middle-school-age students. That's hard to do in a K-to-8 building with such younger and older students,
- Local students get new charter option
- > Mar 8, 8:03 AM: Phoenix Academy, the privately managed public school that has served at-risk students in Lawrence since 2012, will be replaced in September by an independent charter school that will report to its own board of directors – not the
- For charter schools, recently it’s been bad news galore
- > Mar 8, 7:33 AM: For charter schools across the state, the news has been relentlessly bad in recent months: A Western Massachusetts principal fired after a drug arrest. A Dorchester school placed on probation amid allegations of financial
- Report: Declining enrollments hit Mass. rural school districts hard
- Mar 2, 6:59 AM: Rural school districts are struggling financially in the face of declining enrollments, according to a new report by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- Pressure building on rural schools
- > Mar 1, 6:46 AM: Rural school districts across Massachusetts are at particular risk amid rising costs, flat state aid and declining student enrollment — an environment that may force them to regionalize and share services to survive, according to a
- School turnaround bill advances
- > Mar 1, 6:07 AM: Days after the Question 2 ballot initiative backing charter school expansion went down by a decisive 62-38 margin in 2016, charter proponents including Gov. Charlie Baker cited the Springfield Empowerment Zone as the next new
- Taunton has one of highest urban graduation rates in state
- > Feb 28, 6:33 AM: Improvements over the years included the expansion of career technical educational opportunities and the establishment of the Taunton Alternative High School in 2013 to address the needs of sophomores, juniors and seniors who are
- Dorchester charter school placed on probation
- Feb 28, 6:02 AM: The Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education placed a Dorchester charter school on probation Tuesday amid two state investigations into potential financial mismanagement.
- No on innovation school for Silver Hill
- Feb 27, 7:24 AM: For the second time in less than a year, teachers at Silver Hill Horace Mann Charter School overwhelmingly rejected the notion of pursuing an innovation school.
- New Haverhill High class tries to lure girls to computer programming
- Feb 22, 6:22 AM: To help meet the demand for local jobs in the high tech and health care industries, Haverhill High is adding computer programming to the school's growing list of vocational programs.
- Dorchester charter school faces probation amid state probes into financial mismanagement
- > Feb 22, 6:19 AM: A state education official is recommending probation for a Dorchester charter school due to declining academic performance and alleged financial mismanagement, including what appears to be an improper payout of unused sick days to
- Education commissioner to recommend opening new regional charter school in Lawrence
- Feb 22, 5:32 AM: Phoenix Charter Academy Network — which also operates charters in Chelsea and Springfield — aims to serve students who are at risk of dropping out of school or who previously dropped out of school.
- Department of Education hits the brakes on Lynn charter school expansion
- Feb 21, 7:04 AM: The Department of Education has put a hold on the proposed expansion of KIPP Academy Charter School and the plans for a second charter school in the city.
- In an unusual move, Conservatory Lab Charter School seeks to join Boston Public Schools
- > Feb 21, 6:59 AM: But now Conservatory Lab is pondering the unthinkable for many charter schools: It is looking to forfeit some freedom to join the Boston school system, where its large bureaucracy and union contracts are deemed by some education
- PVPA teachers and staff unionize (CER in the news)
- Feb 16, 8:22 AM: Faculty and staff at the Pioneer Valley Performing Arts Charter Public School have officially unionized, becoming one of only a few unionized charter schools in the state.
- Matias raising campaign cash from charter school advocates
- Feb 16, 7:24 AM: In almost five months, State Rep. Juana Matias has raised over $200,000 in her pursuit of the Democratic nomination for the 3rd District.
- Teacher union for Western Mass. charter school receives state approval
- Feb 16, 7:07 AM: Efforts to unionize teaching staffs at independent charter schools have spread from Cape Cod to Western Massachusetts, creating what could potentially be a new labor movement.
- Crossing A Fault Line, Teachers At Two Boston Charter Schools Join Union
- > Feb 15, 6:50 AM: Teachers at two charter schools in Roxbury are joining the Boston Teacher’s Union. It’s the first time the union, which is an affiliate of the American Federation of Teachers, will have charter school staff in their