- Diocese seeks to boost Catholic school enrollment
- > Jul 24, 6:45 AM: Part of the Diocese's new vision is increasing and updating its facilities, dropping tuition and bringing in administrators with a background in business — all risks which the leadership believes can combat dwindling
- Number of school choice participants increases again in Worcester
- Jul 24, 6:08 AM: Once again, more students left the city schools through school choice this past year than the year before, according to a new report from the school department.
- After charter school error leaves Pelham school with big deficit, state rep looks for funding option
- > Jul 21, 5:53 AM: State Rep. Solomon Goldstein-Rose said Thursday he is looking to see what kind of financial help he can get for the Pelham Elementary School budget following a reporting error on the number of Pelham students attending the Pioneer
- Charter school advocates refocus, but foes skeptical
- > Jul 19, 7:22 AM: Parent advocates for last year’s charter school expansion ballot initiative have reorganized to focus on affordable housing, safer communities and better schools for all kids, but critics say they believe the group is laying the
- Performing arts charter school gets new leader
- Jul 18, 6:20 AM: After months of controversy surrounding its head of school, a South Hadley charter school welcomed a new leader earlier this month.
- Embattled Mystic Valley Regional Charter School reported wrong data to state
- > Jul 17, 7:19 AM: A Malden charter school that recently faced criticism for banning certain hairstyles reported erroneous information to regulators about the number of students who left during the academic year, according to state education
- Fighting for schools one sale at a time
- Jul 17, 6:51 AM: Gabriel, who works as a tutor at Frances Drake Elementary School, is considering sending her daughter to a charter school if the elementary level LEAP accelerated learning program can't be funded next year.
- School choice costing Gloucester $1.9M
- Jul 17, 5:52 AM: The city school system lost more than $1.9 million this past year — money that went to educating 297 city students in other school districts under the state's school choice provisions, state statistics show.
- Warwick Community School could become Horace Mann charter school
- Jul 5, 6:15 AM: At the request of Pioneer Valley Regional School District School Committee member David Young, community members have been asked to consider making Warwick Community School a Horace Mann charter school.
- After struggle, pride and graduation for Dracut brothers at Lowell charter
- Jul 3, 6:54 AM: Brett in 2014 to transfer to the public charter high school in Lowell. LMACS caters to students who have left their district high school prior to graduation and those significantly at risk of dropping out.
- Many factors stressing Catholic schools throughout Massachusetts
- Jun 30, 6:34 AM: When summer vacation ends in about two months, at least three Catholic schools in Massachusetts will not be welcoming students back for a new school year.
- School choice a moneymaker for Peabody
- Jun 30, 5:25 AM: Six years ago, officials opened the city’s schools to pupils from other communities in hopes of absorbing the blow to the district’s finances from students leaving Peabody. That decision has paid off.
- Parents voice anger at loss of school charter
- Jun 29, 7:43 AM: About 60 parents with children at Silver Hill filled nearly every seat in the council chambers at City Hall to express their outrage at the pending loss of the school's charter.
- Mitchell Chester, commissioner of elementary and secondary education, has died of cancer
- Jun 28, 8:06 AM: Massachusetts Education Commissioner Mitchell Chester, who ramped up oversight of the state’s public schools and moved the paper-and-pencil MCAS tests into cyberspace, died early Tuesday after battling cancer. He was 65.
- Ash-West to limit school choice
- Jun 27, 5:52 AM: Fewer school-choice students will be admitted to Ashburnham-Westminster regional schools, School Committee Chairman David Christianson Jr. said Monday, as the district starts to see their effect on growing class sizes.
- Parents voice anger at loss of charter
- Jun 23, 7:07 AM: The School Committee voted unanimously Thursday evening to support the renewal of Silver Hill School's charter.
- Silver Hill chair resigns after teachers oppose charter for Haverhill school
- > Jun 22, 6:16 AM: Euthemia Gilman, one of the first teachers when Silver Hill became a school in August of 1993 and who later served as principal, announced she was leaving as Silver Hill's board chair. Her resignation follows a resounding rejection
- Lowell votes to move high school
- Jun 21, 5:58 AM: Lowell High School will move out of the heart of the downtown after the City Council voted to support building a new school at Cawley Stadium after a contentious debate.
- Teachers union votes to end Silver Hill charter
- > Jun 16, 5:58 AM: Tensions between a group of parents and teachers at Silver Hill Horace Mann Charter School and the Haverhill Education Association came to a head on Thursday when teachers across the district voted against allowing the school to
- Charter school battle becomes statewide debate
- Jun 14, 5:56 AM: Parents of students at a Haverhill charter school fear its charter may not be renewed through a Haverhill teachers union vote this week.