- Baltimore school board votes to renew Banneker Blake Academy's contract for one year
- Feb 14, 7:13 AM: The Baltimore school board voted Tuesday to grant a one-year contract renewal to the Banneker Blake Academy of Arts and Sciences, a public charter school that previously faced the threat of closure.
- Over 500 families applied for 60 spots at the Chesapeake Public Charter School
- Feb 9, 7:33 AM: More than 500 families applied for 60 new kindergarten seats available next school year at the Chesapeake Public Charter School, as discussed last week by school officials at a St. Mary’s school board meeting.
- Baltimore considers funding schools based on student poverty rates
- Jan 23, 6:08 AM: The Baltimore city school system is considering sweeping changes to its funding formula that would direct more money to schools with many students from poor families.
- Mayor Pugh announces new Baltimore school board appointees
- Jan 11, 7:22 AM: The director of a neighborhood nonprofit and the chairman of a middle school performing arts department are the newest members of the Baltimore school board.
- Newark Charter students roll up their sleeves, earn money to help Puerto Rico
- > Jan 2, 7:58 AM: For many kids, school fundraisers often involve selling candy or asking family and friends for money. But for elementary students at Newark Charter School, a recent charitable effort required them to roll up their sleeves and get to
- Grace Academy withdraws from Maryland voucher program
- > Dec 27, 7:00 AM: Grace Academy has withdrawn from a taxpayer-funded voucher program, but a school official said the decision was voluntary and not in reaction to the punishment of another Maryland private school earlier this year over discriminatory
- State board rules BOE owes charter school for not providing transportation funding
- Dec 26, 6:53 AM: The Frederick County Board of Education should have funded a county charter school for transportation costs in the 2013-2014 school year, the state board and an appeals court have determined.
- Students celebrate opening of public charter school in Laurel
- Dec 21, 7:12 AM: The Laurel public charter school that previously shared space with a middle school now has 80,000-square feet of space all to itself.
- Ruling returns charter schools lawsuit against Baltimore to circuit court
- > Dec 20, 6:14 AM: A ruling by the Maryland court of appeals has breathed new life into a lawsuit filed by a group of Baltimore charter school operators who have long alleged that the district's funding formula for charters violates state
- Monocacy Valley Montessori gets 10-year charter renewal
- Dec 18, 6:56 AM: The Board of Education has waived its policy on charter school renewal terms for a second time to give Monocacy Valley Montessori a new 10-year charter.
- Prince George’s Teachers’ Union Critical of School Board Structure
- Dec 14, 7:26 AM: The Prince George’s County teachers’ union is railing against the current 13-member school board structure, particularly the appointment of three members by the county executive and another person by County Council.
- Charter school seeks 10-year charter renewal
- > Dec 5, 7:20 AM: The school is requesting a 10-year charter renewal, which would require the county’s Board of Education to waive its policy of five-year charter terms. The board will vote on whether to renew in December, and then will decide on the
- At one Baltimore public charter school, there's always time for a check-up
- > Nov 29, 7:19 AM: That's because KIPP is home to the Rales Health Center, a Johns Hopkins-administered program combining traditional school health services with an enhanced model that includes services such as check-ups, sports physicals,
- Community members speak in defense of city schools recommended for closure
- Nov 29, 7:10 AM: Standing outside the Baltimore city school district headquarters Tuesday, dozens of students and parents protested the recommended closure of William Pinderhughes Elementary/Middle School.
- Baltimore school board considering closing more city schools
- Nov 28, 6:32 AM: The Baltimore school system has recommended closing four more city schools, in addition to two others previously announced, because of declining enrollment and poor academic performance.
- Parents hope for second Baltimore County charter school
- Nov 27, 6:01 AM: Baltimore County may be opening the doors to a brand new public charter school. If it's approved, it would only be the second public charter school to ever open in Baltimore County.
- Teacher's union president sees 'collaborative' future with Howard County school system
- > Nov 13, 7:37 AM: Howard County Education Association’s new president, Colleen Morris, says the leadership of her predecessor was the driving force behind resolving “a lot of issues” impacting educators in the public school
- Maryland private school voucher program grows in second year
- Oct 26, 5:44 AM: More than 2,600 Maryland students from low-income families received taxpayer-funded vouchers to The Baltimore Sun private or religious schools this year, the state Department of Education announced Wednesday.
- Private school loses state voucher money over anti-LGBT policy
- Oct 16, 5:20 AM: A state education panel has voted unanimously to rescind taxpayer-funded vouchers from a Harford County Lutheran school that said it reserved the right to deny admission to gay and transgender students.
- Monarch Academy exemplifies success of Md. charter schools, officials say
- Oct 11, 5:16 AM: Maryland has officially opened its 49th public charter school at a time when the state is trying to add even more charter schools to its list of options for students.