- Neighboring communities will vote on Maine town’s bid to limit school choice
- May 18, 4:44 AM: The town of Alna’s petition to amend the Regional School Unit 12 reorganization plan to restrict K-8 school choice will go to voters in the district’s seven towns June 12.
- School choice change faces next step April 12
- > Apr 12, 4:52 AM: As proposed, Alna's publicly funded K-8 private school choice would not be an option for children who become Alna residents after this June 30. Alna's Ralph Hilton petitioned for the local question residents passed, 258-161, March
- School choice costs spark turmoil in small Maine town
- > Mar 8, 6:00 AM: For more than a century, Maine has offered its own version of “school choice” called “town tuitioning.” If a student lives in a district without a public school at a certain grade level, the town and district will pay a specific
- ‘Not your grandfather’s vocational school’
- > Feb 27, 6:30 AM: But for some who are interested in what the COT has to offer it’s often the parents who are the stumbling block. Some parents, Bonneau said, don’t think the technology center is appropriate for their college-bound child or their
- Charter schools in Maine: How a virtual academy works
- Feb 26, 7:05 AM: Maine Virtual Academy is one of nine state-approved, publicly funded charter schools in Maine, and one of two online schools in the state.
- Labor law change opens career paths to young students in Maine
- > Feb 26, 5:41 AM: Roy’s paid internship at the Biddeford manufacturer of sub-sea buoyancy products is a first for the company and the Biddeford Regional Center of Technology, and is an example of how Maine schools can prepare students to take
- Alna silences public comment on school choice
Next month, the town will vote on whether or not to continue paying for public and private school for all children living in town. If passed, the town would only pay for public schools until they start high school, then students >
Feb 23, 6:24 AM:
- Maine Public Charter Schools Celebrated at State House
- > Jan 23, 7:58 AM: As part of National School Choice Week, Maine charter schools were celebrated at the State House on Monday. Publicly funded charter schools became allowed in Maine under the LePage administration in 2011 to give children an
- Baxter Academy set to open new Portland building
- > Dec 27, 5:47 AM: With the new year, Baxter Academy for Technology and Science will welcome students to a new, custom-outfitted location on Lancaster Street. The move means that for the first time in several years all classes and programming at the
- Panel should streamline evaluations of Maine charter schools, experts say
- Dec 6, 7:04 AM: The Maine Charter School Commission should standardize and streamline the way it oversees charter schools to better track how they are performing, according to an external review by education experts.
- Why hasn’t anyone filled Maine’s last charter school spot?
- Nov 27, 7:47 AM: There’s room for one more charter school in Maine, but for the first time since the state started fielding applications seven years ago, the push to become that school is slackening.
- Three Maine schools unanimously approved for charter extensions
- Nov 8, 6:18 AM: The Maine Charter School Commission voted unanimously to approve the charter extensions for three schools: Baxter Academy for Technology and Science, Fiddlehead School of Arts & Sciences and Harpswell Coastal Academy.
- Big bills from virtual school raise tensions with Maine school districts
- Oct 30, 6:51 AM: The opening of Maine’s first online charter school, set for next week, is rekindling tensions with public school officials over the financial repercussions for their districts and the competition for students.
- No New Maine Charter Schools Likely This School Year or Next
- Sep 7, 5:47 AM: No new charter schools are likely to open in Maine this school year or next even though there's an available slot for one and some existing charters have waitlists.
- Maine charter school students head back to the classroom
- > Aug 31, 5:21 AM: Acadia is one of nine charter schools in Maine educating about 2,000 students, slightly over 1% of the state's school-aged population. They're independently run public schools funded by the Maine Department of Education, that
- Slot for 10th and final Maine charter school goes unfilled
- Aug 30, 4:33 AM: This summer, two groups notified the Maine Charter School Commission that they intended to apply for the final charter, but did not submit an application by the deadline Friday, commission officials said.
- Students start at unfinished Skowhegan extension of Cornville charter school
- Aug 29, 5:04 AM: A delay in construction springs students to work on teachers' projects in the vicinity of the school and provides opportunity to participate in design of school.
- No classrooms yet? No problem for new charter high school in Skowhegan
- > Aug 24, 5:42 AM: The Cornville Regional Charter School, which opened as Maine’s first elementary-level charter school in 2012, was given state approval by the Maine Charter Commission in December 2016 to add a charter high school and
- Maine charter school for performing arts overhauls model after rocky 1st year
- Jul 12, 5:58 AM: After a challenging first year, a charter school dedicated to the performing arts is dropping its partnership with online education provider K-12 Inc. and adopting a new academic model for its second year.
- As Maine teachers seek time for development, parents fear they’ll take it from students
- > Jul 3, 7:40 AM: That means that many teachers are now rethinking how they work, and that takes time. More schools are now trying to create weekly “early release days” to give teachers more time to work together, but some parents are aren’t