- Three Maine schools unanimously approved for charter extensions
- Nov 8, 6:18 AM: The Maine Charter School Commission voted unanimously to approve the charter extensions for three schools: Baxter Academy for Technology and Science, Fiddlehead School of Arts & Sciences and Harpswell Coastal Academy.
- Big bills from virtual school raise tensions with Maine school districts
- Oct 30, 6:51 AM: The opening of Maine’s first online charter school, set for next week, is rekindling tensions with public school officials over the financial repercussions for their districts and the competition for students.
- No New Maine Charter Schools Likely This School Year or Next
- Sep 7, 5:47 AM: No new charter schools are likely to open in Maine this school year or next even though there's an available slot for one and some existing charters have waitlists.
- Maine charter school students head back to the classroom
- > Aug 31, 5:21 AM: Acadia is one of nine charter schools in Maine educating about 2,000 students, slightly over 1% of the state's school-aged population. They're independently run public schools funded by the Maine Department of Education, that
- Slot for 10th and final Maine charter school goes unfilled
- Aug 30, 4:33 AM: This summer, two groups notified the Maine Charter School Commission that they intended to apply for the final charter, but did not submit an application by the deadline Friday, commission officials said.
- Students start at unfinished Skowhegan extension of Cornville charter school
- Aug 29, 5:04 AM: A delay in construction springs students to work on teachers' projects in the vicinity of the school and provides opportunity to participate in design of school.
- No classrooms yet? No problem for new charter high school in Skowhegan
- > Aug 24, 5:42 AM: The Cornville Regional Charter School, which opened as Maine’s first elementary-level charter school in 2012, was given state approval by the Maine Charter Commission in December 2016 to add a charter high school and
- Maine charter school for performing arts overhauls model after rocky 1st year
- Jul 12, 5:58 AM: After a challenging first year, a charter school dedicated to the performing arts is dropping its partnership with online education provider K-12 Inc. and adopting a new academic model for its second year.
- As Maine teachers seek time for development, parents fear they’ll take it from students
- > Jul 3, 7:40 AM: That means that many teachers are now rethinking how they work, and that takes time. More schools are now trying to create weekly “early release days” to give teachers more time to work together, but some parents are aren’t
- Maine Connections Academy Celebrates Student Achievements at 2017 In-Person Commencement Ceremony
- Jun 13, 7:00 AM: MCA offers students an award-winning online curriculum and the opportunity to work closely with certified teachers using detailed daily lesson plans that can be personalized to meet individual student needs.
- BULLIED OUT OF SCHOOL: Maine families look to cyber charter schools for success
- > Jun 5, 6:23 AM: It was that incident prompted his mother Stacy to pull him out of traditional public school and enroll him in the Maine Connections Academy, a publicly funded state charter school. Moore completed his schooling entirely through
- Renovation continues for charter high school due to open in August in downtown Skowhegan
- > May 3, 5:45 AM: Walls, ceilings and floors at the former Variety Drug and the old Twelfth District Court in downtown Skowhegan have been cleared, exposing original 1905 joists, hardwood flooring and brick walls as Cornville Regional Charter School
- Bill to allow more than 10 charter schools in Maine falls short in committee
- Apr 26, 5:22 AM: Members of the Legislature’s Education and Cultural Affairs Committee voted against a charter school bill Tuesday that would lift the “10 schools in 10 years” cap and open the process to more schools.
- Charter supporters urge Maine legislators to drop ’10 schools in 10 years’ limit
- > Apr 19, 5:24 AM: Charter supporters urge Maine legislators to drop ’10 schools in 10 years’ limit. Waiting lists show the demand for more is there, they say, but critics oppose expansion until the results of the education 'experiment' are
- Skowhegan Planning Board approves downtown charter high school
- > Feb 9, 7:44 AM: With written provisions to include an on-duty traffic attendant and close monitoring of parking on downtown streets during the daytime, the Skowhegan Planning Board has approved the site plan for a high school to be operated by the
- Charter school seeks final approval for a downtown Skowhegan public high school
- > Feb 6, 7:49 AM: The Cornville Regional Charter School, which became Maine’s first elementary charter school in 2012, was given state approval by the Maine Charter Commission in December to add a charter high school and pre-kindergarten classes to
- Compared with other states, charter schools play a tiny role in Maine
- > Feb 2, 6:36 AM: Compared to most other states, charter schools – privately-operated schools that compete with traditional public schools – play an extremely small role in Maine’s education system, according to enrollment data from the National
- LePage increases pressure for school consolidation
- Jan 4, 6:20 AM: Gov. Paul LePage issued a sweeping executive order on Monday calling for a new push toward school district consolidation.
- Trump administration expected to spur creation of more Maine charter schools
- > Dec 27, 6:28 AM: President-elect Donald Trump’s Nov. 23 nomination of billionaire philanthropist and charter school advocate Betsy DeVos to head the federal Education Department was greeted with consternation by champions of traditional public
- How Trump’s agenda will start showing up in Maine classrooms
- Dec 20, 8:12 AM: President-elect Donald Trump has provided few details about his education policy goals but has made it clear that he intends to make changes in wide swaths that would have significant ramifications in Maine.