- Could this be Kentucky’s first charter school? It just took a big first step.
- > Nov 16, 6:45 AM: The Eastern Kentucky University Board of Regents on Wednesday passed a resolution allowing the administration to submit an application for Model, Kentucky’s only remaining Pre-K thru 12 university laboratory school, to become a
- Charter schools coming soon. Education officials want input on the rules for them.
- Nov 13, 7:06 AM: This month, state officials are asking citizens to review and make suggestions on the proposed regulations for charter schools that will open in Kentucky for the first time.
- Education group talks pensions, charter schools
- > Oct 31, 6:13 AM: The Prichard Committee is a non-profit, non-partisan, citizen-led organization with the goal of increasing the quality of education in Kentucky for all citizens. The group currently has 110 members statewide and is holding local
- New director talks about challenges and opportunities of launching charter schools in Kentucky
- Oct 30, 5:24 AM: Simms spent the last nine years working with charter schools in Missouri. He believes Kentucky can learn from the successes and failures of the 43 other states which have opened charters.
- Charter schools must be fair, transparent, group says
- Oct 23, 5:22 AM: As charter schools become a reality in the state, the League of Women Voters of Kentucky is urging caution in how they’re implemented.
- Bevin ceremonially signs historic charter school legislation
- > Oct 20, 5:35 AM: Gov. Matt Bevin, joined by legislators, education officials and community leaders, Tuesday ceremonially signed House Bill 520 in the State Capitol Rotunda. Enacted during the regular session of the 2017 General Assembly, HB 520
- JCPS calls special meeting to discuss authorizing charter schools
- > Oct 16, 5:51 AM: JCPS board members received answers from state education officials during a special meeting Friday night. The state's new charter school law took effect in June, but the Kentucky Department of Education is still finalizing its
- State Board Of Education Proposes Regulations For Charter Schools
- Oct 5, 5:55 AM: The Kentucky Board of Education has drafted a set of proposed regulations to govern charter schools, after revisions proposed by a new advisory board appointed by Gov. Matt Bevin.
- Local schools to start achievement gap pilot
- Sep 27, 5:58 AM: In an attempt to close persistent achievement gaps in Christian County, the local school district plans to implement a pilot program targeting students in gap groups.
- First charter school in Kentucky could be in place for start of 2018-19 school year
- > Sep 15, 5:08 AM: With the passage of House Bill 520 during the 2017 legislative session, Kentucky became the 44th state which legalized public charter schools, which proponents say will improve educational opportunities for many students, while
- Genesis Academy offers flexible curriculum for home school students
- > Sep 14, 5:08 AM: While the majority of students in Clark County attend Clark County Public Schools or private schools, the community also has a healthy population of home schooling families who work together to share resources and educational
- Are Kentucky’s proposed charter school rules tough enough?
- > Aug 7, 7:09 AM: A local school board could move to revoke a charter school contract, take over operation or determine a timetable for closing the charter school if it is financially insolvent or has threatened the health and safety of students,
- Charter School Admission Determined by Lottery System
- > Aug 3, 6:31 AM: This time next year, charter schools will be opening for the first time in Kentucky. A new law will let local school boards and the mayors of Louisville and Lexington contract with private groups to create the alternative schools in
- Kentucky hires director of new charter schools division
- Aug 2, 6:06 AM: A sign that public charter schools will soon open in Kentucky came Tuesday, when state Department of Education officials named Earl Simms as director of its newly created Division of Charter Schools.
- Gov. Matt Bevin's advisory council on charter schools gets into the nitty gritty
- Jul 25, 6:03 AM: Calling it a "historic day," Kentucky's education commissioner on Monday hailed the first meeting of an advisory council that was created to provide recommendations on how charter schools operate in the Bluegrass State.
- Downtown rally focuses on value of public education, concerns about equity
- Jul 24, 7:00 AM: Adrian Wallace, of the NAACP of Lexington, told the crowd that charter schools, approved by the legislature earlier this year, lack transparency and accountability.
- Kentucky’s school rating system is criticized as not strong enough
- > Jul 19, 6:41 AM: The latest draft of Kentucky’s proposed statewide system of evaluating schools — the new accountability system — is not strong enough. That’s the message that business, civil rights, community and education advocacy groups have sent
- School vouchers are not a cure-all, says study with UK ties
- > Jul 10, 7:36 AM: New research from University of Kentucky Assistant Professor Joseph Waddington shows that school voucher programs — and more broadly, school choice — aren’t a cure-all in the race to improve education outcomes, UK officials said in
- Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer Still Waiting For Clarity On Charter School Regulations
- Jul 5, 7:15 AM: Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer is still waiting for regulations from state officials regarding the authorization of charter schools.
- Charter School Concerns Voiced by KEA President
- Jul 5, 5:35 AM: An organization representing public school employees in Kentucky is worried about the impact charter schools will have on the commonwealth.