- Exclusive: Charter schools say IPS rejected a multi-million dollar offer for Broad Ripple High School
- > Jun 18, 7:29 AM: Two charter schools say Indianapolis Public Schools has rejected their multi-million dollar proposal to take over the district’s soon-to-be vacant Broad Ripple High School building, baffling city leaders who fear the site could sit
- Report: Indiana high school students becoming better prepared for college
- > Jun 18, 7:06 AM: More Indiana high school students are earning college credit while in high school, and high school graduates require less remediation when entering college, according to a new report released Thursday by the Indiana Commission for
- After five "F" ratings state board of education holds hearing for Navarre Intermediate
- Jun 1, 5:14 AM: On Thursday, a public hearing was held at Navarre Intermediate Center after the school received five consecutive "F" ratings from the Indiana State Board of Education.
- Don’t look now, but members of the Clark County School Board have inadvertently offered a rousing endorsement for school choice. The trustees last week approved a $2.4 billion fiscal 2019 budget that includes $117,000 for a new marketing position cre
- May 30, 4:56 AM: Two well-known organizations are opening charter schools in Gary next fall, both designed to help adults earn their high school diplomas.
- A rural school turns to digital education. Is it a savior or devil's bargain?
- > May 29, 7:25 AM: But now a discussion is brewing outside of Modoc and its small school district. Advocates call the virtual school an innovation that rescued a cash-strapped small public school and offers increasingly rare learning opportunities to
- Charter school grants attract national talent to Indianapolis
- May 25, 6:53 AM: As Indianapolis' reputation as an urban education reform darling grows, so too does the interest in a grant program to help educators launch new — and often experimental — charter schools here.
- Educators Picked To Design 4 More 'Innovation' Schools For Indianapolis Public Schools
- > May 25, 5:14 AM: Local education reform group The Mind Trust announced Thursday the next batch of educators for its school design fellowship. Completion of the one-to-two-year program could result in the Indianapolis Public Schools Board granting
- Short on students, 3 Indianapolis charter schools are closing. But 6 more will open in the fall
- May 24, 5:39 AM: Three Indianapolis charter schools facing financial struggles will close at the end of this school year, underscoring just how difficult it can be for charter schools to create sustainable operations.
- 62 people will lose their jobs when this online Indiana charter school closes
- May 21, 6:45 AM: Sixty-two counselors, advisors, special education administrators and teachers are expected to lose their jobs when Hoosier Academies Virtual School closes this summer.
- Teachers union hopeful after Ball State takeover presentation
- May 18, 5:53 AM: The president of the Muncie Teachers Association is hopeful that a Ball State University presentation Wednesday on the university's takeover of Muncie Community Schools will preserve the teaching staff.
- Two new charter schools opening in Gary
- May 17, 6:04 AM: Two new dropout recovery charter schools will open in Gary in August, raising the number of charters in the city to nine.
- BSU takeover raises nearly $3 million for Muncie schools
- May 17, 5:55 AM: Ball State University's takeover of Muncie Community Schools already has raised nearly $3 million in community support for the financially distressed district.
- Charter school organizers will get a second chance
- May 16, 6:42 AM: The Indiana Charter School Board started out with a recommendation to deny the application. But after 90 minutes of questions, answers and criticism, the board decided on a do-over, a second chance in November.
- School safety, takeovers dominate session
- > May 15, 5:50 AM: Indiana lawmakers returned to the Statehouse for a one-day special session Monday and passed two education-related bills – including additional school safety funding. The second bill focused on the takeover of Muncie and Gary
- Rural schools seen falling aside from funding woes
- May 14, 5:07 AM: Rural school districts in Indiana are in dire straits, at least that's what the Friends of Public Education said at a rally on Saturday at North Central High School.
- Ball State plan to take control of Muncie schools headed toward approval in special session
- May 8, 5:47 AM: Two months after it looked dead, a plan that would hand control of Muncie Community Schools to Ball State University is alive, well and on its way to becoming law next week.
- Indiana education board OKs committee to consider virtual charter school rules
- May 3, 6:22 AM: The Indiana State Board of Education is moving forward with plans to form a committee that is expected to look closely into how virtual charter schools are regulated.
- Proposed Charter School At Broad Ripple High School Draws Support From Lawmaker, Educators
- May 1, 6:59 AM: Dunn -- who runs a foundation for at-risk youth -- says the Broad Ripple High School is the perfect location for a new performing arts-focused school for marginalized students who have struggled at another school.
- Indiana education officials are taking another look at regulating virtual charter schools
- > Apr 30, 6:00 AM: Nearly five months after Gov. Eric Holcomb called for “immediate attention and action” on Indiana’s subpar online charter schools, state education officials might soon take steps to address them — although they could fall short of
- Info session at VCPL for online charter school with ag emphasis
- Apr 24, 7:31 AM: A new, online charter school that focuses on agricultural training will have an information session and registration from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Vigo County Public Library, 1 Library Square.