- Operation Education: Examining local charter schools as a new one arrives
- > Jan 21, 7:26 AM: Purdue Polytechnic High School has plans to partner with South Bend Schools inside Washington High School or operate on its own. It has two campuses in Indianapolis right now. We’ve been digging into how the charter schools already
- In dramatic move, IPS will regain control of 3 schools. Here's what that means.
- > Jan 16, 7:25 AM: It was a dramatic turn for the schools, whose futures had been in question for more than a year. All three had been taken over by the state nearly eight years ago for poor academic performance and had struggled to make the kind of
- Operation Education: How Indiana's charter schools are doing compared to public schools
- > Jan 16, 6:53 AM: How are Indiana's charter school students doing compared to traditional public schools?We've told you about 44 Indiana charter schools receiving $18 million in federal dollars and then closing or never opening. But the National
- Gov. Holcomb discusses education funding during State of the State
- Jan 15, 7:07 AM: The Governor spoke before a joint session of the Indiana House and Senate nearly two months after several thousand teachers attended a statehouse rally calling for better pay.
- Opponents of charter school within South Bend Washington High speak out
- > Jan 13, 8:01 AM: Many in the crowd of about 60, packed tightly into the small room, applauded. They had just listened to a panel of educators and activists, from South Bend and Indianapolis, argue why South Bend Community School Corp. should decide
- West Lafayette withdraws $1 charter school law challenge, joins 'better' case in Hammond
- > Jan 10, 7:25 AM: If a constitutional challenge of an Indiana law that gives charter schools access to vacant public school buildings for $1 makes it to the Indiana Supreme Court, it won’t come directly from the West Lafayette Community School
- Indiana's high school graduation rate slips, stagnates for fifth straight year
- Jan 9, 8:04 AM: As the first class of students who will graduate under Indiana’s new graduation pathways were poised to enter high school, the rate of students earning a diploma under the old standards slipped, ever-so-slightly.
- IPS Would Close TC Howe If State Returns High School To District
- > Jan 9, 7:03 AM: Thomas Carr Howe Community High School will close this summer if state officials approve a proposal from Indianapolis Public Schools to return the Eastside 7-12 grade school to its former district. IPS leaders say they would then
- Charter school opponents plan Saturday forum on South Bend schools possible charter partnership
- Jan 8, 6:46 AM: A partnership between South Bend Community School Corp. and a charter school network will be the focus of a public forum from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday.
- Bill would separate test scores, teacher pay
- Jan 8, 6:32 AM: Teachers might no longer have their performance evaluations tied to student test scores under a bill that passed its first step Tuesday.
- Indiana governor changes stance on teacher pay action
- Jan 7, 7:19 AM: Indiana’s governor opened the door Monday to potentially boosting school funding and teacher pay after weeks of refuting any plans on such action until next year.
- Indiana’s $1 charter school law challenged by 2 more districts, following West Lafayette case
- > Jan 6, 9:18 AM: A pair of Northwest Indiana school districts, fearing they might have to give up recently vacated classroom space for $1 to a charter school, followed West Lafayette Community School Corp.’s lead this week, filing a lawsuit
- Indiana state senator introduces bill to yank vouchers from schools that discriminate
- Jan 6, 7:45 AM: An Indiana state senator has introduced a bill for the second year in a row that would prohibit schools that discriminate against LGBTQ people or other groups from receiving taxpayer money in the form of school vouchers.
- Graduation Rates Haven't Changed Much. But Gaps Persist For Black, ELL Students
- Jan 3, 8:03 AM: Indiana’s high school graduation rate dipped slightly in 2019, with the rate of students needing waivers from the state to earn a diploma, noticeably higher than previous years.
- Letters: Innovation a gamble for South Bend schools
- > Jan 2, 7:02 AM: However, it could lead to a gradual takeover by a charter school. They will be South Bend Community School Corp. students by name, but for how long? The money for these students will be handed over to the charter which has complete
- State graduation rate falls
- Jan 2, 6:41 AM: Almost 74,400 students earned diplomas from Indiana high schools in 2019, but that wasn't enough to boost the state's graduation rate, the Indiana Department of Education announced Tuesday.
- IPS Renews Innovation Pact With Phalen, Delays Enlace Vote
- Dec 20, 6:09 AM: Indianapolis Public Schools granted its first renewal for an innovation network school and delayed a vote on approval for another operator.
- Purdue makes case for its third high school, despite local opposition in South Bend
- Dec 20, 5:37 AM: Purdue President Mitch Daniels was thanking the South Bend Community School Corp. this week for taking steps to add the university’s third charter high school in the state, this time in South Bend.
- South Bend school district gets pushback on proposed charter school
- Dec 18, 8:34 AM: South Bend Community School Corp. is now one step closer to partnering with a new charter school. But some in the community are pushing back.
- Charter Schools USA loses charter bid, giving IPS a shot at reclaiming takeover schools
- Dec 17, 6:49 AM: Indiana Charter School Board denied charters Friday for three Indianapolis turnaround schools — a stunning move that could spell the end to the Florida-based Charter Schools USA’s operations in Indianapolis.