- Struggling Gary Schools Open Under New Leadership — The State
- Aug 18, 5:39 AM: Thursday marks the first day of school for children in the Gary, Indiana, public school system — and the first time a school system in Indiana has opened under state control.
- Virtual Reality Science Lessons Now At Indy Charter School
- Aug 11, 6:49 AM: An Indianapolis charter school will be one of the first in the country to use a virtual reality program to teach science to high school students.
- Charter school opens in Hammond focusing on high school dropouts
- > Aug 7, 6:52 AM: A new charter school focused on high school dropouts will open in Hammond this fall. The school, called the Excel Center, has been established by Goodwill Leads Inc., which is associated with Goodwill Industries. The charter school,
- Private Company Will Manage 3 IPS Takeover Schools For 3 More Years
- Aug 4, 5:48 AM: A proposal to ensure the transition of three schools under state control back to Indianapolis Public Schools did not gain approval from the State Board of Education Wednesday.
- Hamilton County's first junior high charter school changes learning experiences for students
- Aug 3, 6:10 AM: The alternative school has two campuses in Carmel and Noblesville – where seventh and eighth graders will be welcomed when classes begin August 8.
- Three charter schools could return to IPS by 2020
- > Aug 1, 6:08 AM: Charter Schools USA is planning for a future at its three Indianapolis schools. They’re recommitted to improving Emma Donnan Middle School and Howe and Manual high schools — struggling schools stripped from the Indianapolis Public
- IPS strips school of teachers union as part of innovation transformation
- > Aug 1, 6:01 AM: With little public debate, teachers at John Marshall Middle School lost the protection of the district union. Indianapolis Public Schools and union leaders disagree about how it happened, but the impact is clear. The principal at
- Weszely set to take over at RCA
- > Jul 31, 6:48 AM: The school at Graysville was closed for the 2002-03, but opened up the following school year as Rural Community Academy, a K-8 charter school through Ball State University. 'It had come full circle for me,” said Weszely. “I must
- 3 Takeover Schools Would Transition From Charter Schools USA Back To IPS Under Plan
- > Jul 28, 6:05 AM: Charter Schools USA could relinquish control of three Indianapolis schools in 2020 if the State Board of Education approves a proposal next week. Updated contracts between the Florida-based company and the state would require a
- Recognized charter school shuts down two Indianapolis locations
- Jul 26, 6:29 AM: In fact, 25 have closed over the past four years, including two in Indianapolis from a nationally recognized program. As the buildings sit empty, some taxpayers are winding up on the losing end.
- Parents elected to charter’s school board
- Jul 19, 7:06 AM: With the construction of a school comes the filling of its school board, and last night Otwell Miller Academy named the first five members of its nine-person governing council.
- Charter school works to fill school board slots
- Jul 13, 6:01 AM: And as the construction pushes forward at Pike County’s first charter school, the assignment of the new entity’s school board is also becoming a priority for members of the Friends of Otwell group.
- KIPP Indy is working to stop kids from disappearing over the summer. It’s a challenge many schools face
- Jul 10, 6:49 AM: Every summer, each teacher in KIPP Indy Public Schools gets a roster, about 20 student names long, to call before the start of the new school year.
- As Indianapolis Public Schools looks to close high schools, 2 new innovation high schools win support
- Jul 7, 6:07 AM: The proposed innovation high schools are likely to draw criticism because the move comes at the same time that IPS is aiming to close three traditional high schools as a result of low enrollment.
- Local graduates from Indiana Connections Academy share their stories
- > Jul 6, 7:11 AM: Enrollment at Indiana Connections Academy (ICA), just one online public school option for Hoosiers, increased by nearly 1,000 from 2013 to 2016 according to the Indiana Department of Education. A total of 3,705 students across the
- School Vouchers Get A New Report Card
- > Jun 26, 8:05 AM: For years, the answer from researchers has been a muddle, while a handful of recent studies have clearly shown voucher students backsliding academically. But no one has studied the largest, single statewide program in the nation
- Excel Center School for Adults to Open in Muncie
- Jun 20, 5:46 AM: If you live in Muncie and don't have a high school diploma, you'll have another chance to earn one at a new charter school for adults.
- State board gives break to low-performing voucher schools
- > Jun 8, 6:23 AM: Four private, religious schools can resume taking new students on the public dime after the State Board of Education granted the schools a reprieve from accountability rules that had barred them from taking new voucher students
- Improving city school can accept vouchers
- Jun 8, 5:41 AM: The State Board of Education gave waivers Wednesday to four private schools, including one in Fort Wayne, that otherwise would not have been allowed to add new voucher students this fall.
- This Indianapolis charter school has a solution to its teacher shortage: ‘Grow’ its own educators.
- Jun 7, 5:26 AM: When new teachers step through the doors of Christel House Academy, they are seldom prepared for the challenges of working in a school dedicated to educating students in poverty.