- Namaste Charter Staff Move to Unionize
- Jan 11, 7:28 AM: Teachers at a Chicago charter school are moving to unionize, just weeks before the city’s two largest public educator unions could finalize a merger.
- Democrat backs Rauner’s scholarship veto, but gov’s school list raises questions
- > Jan 11, 5:58 AM: Rauner on Monday issued an amendatory veto of a trailer bill to a historic school funding measure, urging lawmakers to go back and fix the measure to allow three dozen private schools to more quickly take advantage of the tax credit
- Chicago Teachers Union: CPS’ proposed school closings would violate our contract
- > Jan 9, 7:11 AM: The Chicago Teachers Union said Monday that the Chicago Public Schools’ plans to close schools including all of Englewood’s open-enrollment high schools and the top-rated elementary school in the South Loop would violate CPS’
- Rauner vetoes education funding bill over private school concerns
- > Jan 9, 6:53 AM: While Rauner has listed the new funding formula as one of his top achievements as he seeks re-election, the Republican governor said Monday that lawmakers failed to address a technicality that would prevent at least 36 Catholic and
- Private Schools in Illinois Attract $36 Million via Tax Credit Program
- > Jan 9, 6:46 AM: Beginning this year in Illinois, people and corporations donating up to $1.3 million for private school scholarships can get a 75% credit toward their state income tax. This was a controversial but bipartisan concept, adopted last
- District’s ‘Turnaround’ Operator Highlighted as Model for Success
- Jan 9, 6:07 AM: Chicago Public Schools designated Piccolo as a “turnaround” school six years ago—operator AUSL, short for Academy for Urban School Leadership, is contracted to make improvements.
- Charter group leader talks about Elgin school's progress
- Jan 8, 8:13 AM: In October, a state panel sanctioned the Elgin Math and Science Academy charter school primarily to serve at-risk students in the area. The decision reversed Elgin Area School District U-46's denial of the proposal in June.
- Boylan Holds Forum On State Tax Credit Scholarship Program
- > Jan 8, 7:29 AM: In the education-funding bill signed by the Governor in September, private schools are handed an olive branch. People and companies who donate to private school scholarships are given a tax credit worth 75% of their donation. On
- The ABCs of Illinois’ New Private School Scholarships, Tax Credit Program
- > Jan 5, 7:26 AM: Within a few days, contributors have so far pledged $38.5 million to the controversial endeavor, which is celebrated by advocates of school choice but derided by teachers unions and other critics as a subversion of the public
- Taxpayers give $36M to scholarships on 1st day of new credit
- Jan 4, 7:09 AM: Gov. Bruce Rauner announced Wednesday taxpayers pledged more than $36 million for private school scholarships on the first day donors became eligible for the state tax credit.
- Peoria region sees slow start to tax-credit scholarship program
- Jan 4, 7:07 AM: Pledged donations under Illinois’ new tax-credit scholarship program are lagging far behind the rest of the state for the 21-county region that includes Peoria County.
- CPS Acting CEO: Improving Parent Engagement ‘A Top Priority’
- > Jan 3, 8:03 AM: In her first comments as the district’s acting CEO, Janice Jackson announced plans to hold community meetings throughout the city this spring in the hopes of sparking an open dialogue about the district’s biggest
- Illinois taxpayers expected to snap up credits for scholarships
- > Jan 2, 6:35 AM: If Illinois follows the history of other states, taxpayers will be up and online early Tuesday, snapping up a maximum of $75 million in tax credits available for making donations to the Invest in Kids Scholarship Tax Credit
- Analysis: 90 percent of Quest Charter School students fail annual tests
- > Dec 28, 6:44 AM: Academic results data released recently reveals 10 percent of Quest Charter School Academy students are considered on track for the next grade level, according to a Peoria Standard analysis of the latest Illinois schools report
- How to apply for scholarships to send your kids to private school
- Dec 27, 7:18 AM: Families in Southern Illinois that can’t afford tuition will soon be able to apply for new scholarships to send their children to private K-12 schools in the next academic year.
- CTU delegates send proposed merger with organized charter teachers to full vote
- Dec 14, 7:09 AM: Chicago Teachers Union delegates endorsed a merger with organized charter school teachers on Wednesday, setting up a vote by the CTU’s full membership late next month.
- Democratic governor candidate Pritzker wins major teacher union endorsement
- Dec 11, 8:11 AM: J.B. Pritzker on Saturday won the backing of the Illinois Federation of Teachers, the largest public employees union to issue an endorsement so far in the Democratic governor primary.
- CPS to use $15 million in federal funding to create 3 new magnet schools
- > Dec 5, 6:10 AM: Chicago Public Schools would use $15 million in federal funding aimed at desegregating schools to turn three neighborhood elementary schools into citywide magnet schools, under a plan laid out by the district and Mayor Rahm Emanuel
- Chicago Public Schools closing and consolidation plan would affect thousands of students
- Dec 4, 6:52 AM: Chicago Public Schools on Friday moved ahead with school closing and merger proposals that would affect thousands of kids next school year.
- CPS Announces Plans to Close Charter School
- Dec 1, 7:09 AM: Chicago Public Schools said Thursday it plans to close a charter school on the city’s South Side, citing “poor academic performance."