- Rural Idaho school district named top in the nation for innovation
- Sep 13, 5:29 AM: The Wilder School District is receiving national recognition from the School Superintendents Association and the Successful Practices Network for being one of the most innovative school systems in the country.
- New year brings more schools, charter growth
- Sep 11, 5:14 AM: At least eight new schools popped up across Idaho to start this school year and half are public charters.
- Idaho schools chief switches up rural school pitch
- Sep 10, 5:52 AM: Idaho’s top schools chief will no longer ask for money to create a rural schools network after lawmakers rejected the proposal nearly every year the Republican leader has been in office.
- State identifies schools with consistent achievement gaps
- Sep 7, 5:03 AM: The State Department of Education on Wednesday released another list of schools identified for recognition and support under Idaho’s new accountability plan.
- Commentary: When it comes to public charter schools, districts just say no
- > Aug 28, 7:03 AM: The fact is, fewer school districts in Idaho – even those that are needing to build and open new schools at a rapid clip like the West Ada School District and Idaho Falls – are less interested in authorizing public charter schools
- iSucceed online school partners with AVID
- > Aug 23, 6:26 AM: AVID is an evidence-based program assisting students with organization, college and career planning and goal-setting. Qualifying students will take online AVID classes, elective college preparation courses that are centered around
- Letter: School reforms, not performance, need clarity
- > Aug 23, 5:01 AM: After decades of collecting data, there is no proof that setting “higher standards” increases student achievement. We changed standards, developed and tested new tests, hooked kids to computers to collect data on every test they
- Idaho Virtual Academy offers students a different approach to school
- > Aug 16, 5:14 AM: The vast majority of students in Idaho attend traditional, brick-and-mortar schools from preschool to high school graduation. However, last year more than 6,000 students attended school in their own homes. But rather than being
- New STEM-focused public charter school to open in Garden City
- Aug 10, 6:38 AM: Literally called "Future Public School," the new facility is the culmination of years of effort by founders and teachers to reach out to Garden City families to try and fill its student roster.
- This new charter school in Garden City is a ‘miracle’ for one family
- > Aug 6, 6:38 AM: The inaugural class of 256 students at Future will be kindergarten through third grade, which still has a few seats available. When the wheels get turning, the school will be a K-8 institution of 576 students. Each grade will have
- Magic Valley schools weigh options to deal with enrollment growth
- Aug 3, 7:00 AM: Xavier Charter School in Twin Falls is also coping with enrollment growth, but it’s restricted by charter and facility constraints.
- Sun Valley Forum speaker touts private-sector solutions to societal woes
- Aug 3, 6:35 AM: Turner said they’ve helped build 79 charter schools, with another 70 planned for construction in the next several years. They’ve created 41,870 seats in charter schools.
- Idaho's advanced opportunities bill: $16 million and rising
- > Aug 3, 6:07 AM: Idaho students tapped into the state’s fast-growing advanced opportunities program to the tune of nearly $16 million during the 2017-18 school year. More than 32,000 junior high school and high school students took college-level
- Online school a new frontier in education
- Aug 3, 5:43 AM: This school year for the first time, Teton Middle School is offering free online school for students who need more flexibility, independence, or support than traditional school can provide.
- State education officials tout mediocre college-readiness ranking
- > Aug 2, 6:49 AM: Parents, students, and competent teachers deserve better than a public education system that celebrates mediocrity. That’s what they got last week when the state’s top education officials hailed a report that ranks Idaho No. 5
- Career-technical charter school coming to Caldwell, set to open in 2019
- Jul 26, 5:56 AM: The proposed Elevate Academy would be a year-round public charter school focused on growing the labor pipeline for technical jobs and industry professionals.
- VanOrden appointed to state charter commission
- Jul 25, 6:24 AM: The outgoing chairwoman of the House Education Committee has been appointed to the Idaho Public Charter School Commission.
- State officials prepare to identify lowest-performing schools
- Jul 25, 5:25 AM: State education leaders will publicly identify Idaho’s lowest performing schools next month as part of a new accountability plan.
- Our View: Kids in Idaho fall behind before grade school and never catch up
- Jul 20, 6:12 AM: Idaho students are behind their peers before they even start grade school. And several new studies indicate they never make up that ground in the years that follow.
- School funding formula revisions could streamline school budget, tie $$ to enrollment
- > Jul 19, 6:13 AM: A panel of Idaho lawmakers and education officials is looking into streamlining the the state’s public school budget, getting rid of line items such as the teacher career ladder, and giving school districts and charter schools money