- Next Gem Prep charter school in the works for Meridian
- > Jun 29, 5:54 AM: The group is seeking a state charter for the new school, but the petition had to go through the local school district first. Gem Innovation Schools Director Jason Bransford presented to the West Ada school board Tuesday, which then
- New innovation school prepares to open in Nampa this August
- > May 3, 6:31 AM: Treasure Valley Leadership Academy is a brand-new innovation school, the second innovation school in the Nampa district. An innovation school is a public school that has freedoms similar to charter schools, meaning it can operate
- Idaho educators have big concerns over Trump’s ‘skinny’ spending plan (CER in the news)
- > Apr 7, 7:21 AM: Last month, President Trump recommended zeroing out funding for programs such as SPARK. He also proposed killing a nationwide teacher training program. The recommendations came in the president’s “skinny” budget — Capitol Hill
- Groups works on proposal for charter school in Teton Valley
- Mar 24, 5:52 AM: Teton Valley may soon have another option for education: its first charter school. The valley already has several private options, but this would be its first public charter school.
- Education reform groups give Idaho charter laws middling grades (CER in the news)
- Mar 23, 6:56 AM: In two separate report cards issued Wednesday, two school pro-education reform groups said pretty much the same thing about Idaho’s charter school laws.
- Education groups say they were cut out of charter school negotiations
- Mar 6, 7:19 AM: A charter school bill ran into trouble Friday in the House Education Committee, after leaders of two of the state’s powerful education groups said they were not consulted on the proposal.
- 2 Magic Valley school charters renewed
- > Feb 10, 7:31 AM: Two Magic Valley charter schools received approval Tuesday to keep their doors open for the next five years. The Idaho Public Charter School Commission gave an OK to charter renewals for Heritage Academy in Jerome and Syringa
- Confusion abounds in wake of teacher evaluations review
- Dec 23, 7:31 AM: Confusion and widely varying interpretations of rules and procedures continue to plague teacher evaluations, in the weeks following publication of a controversial review of that data.
- Pathways charter school to open in Nampa
- Dec 21, 7:10 AM: Under plans approved by trustees, Pathways in Education — Nampa will operate as a public charter high school for grades nine through 12.
- Worry ‘overblown’ about teacher reviews, State Board says
- Dec 16, 7:50 AM: Idaho’s flap over the quality of its public school teacher evaluations is “overblown,” Emma Atchley, State Board of Education president said Thursday.
- New Nampa charter school focuses on struggling students
- Dec 16, 6:04 AM: Nampa School District has given approval for a new charter school to open in its district in July. Pathways in Education, a national network of non-profit schools, also has schools in Chicago, Shreveport, Memphis and Phoenix.
- State Ed Board to address teacher evaluations, Ybarra calls on districts to ‘stand tall’
- > Dec 9, 7:24 AM: Fallout is continuing from the Idaho EdNews report earlier this week that a previously unreleased audit of Idaho teacher evaluations – which the state received in July – found 99 percent were inaccurate or
- East Idaho teacher ‘jumped off a cliff’ to start her own school
- > Nov 23, 7:40 AM: But after a clash with her school’s more traditional K-12 bent and a shift towards a new learning model, Ball decided to take her methods elsewhere. And word spread. Within a year, her homeschool at the courthouse had morphed into
- K-12 enrollment tops a milestone: 300000 and counting
- > Nov 1, 6:04 AM: Five districts and two charter schools account for more than half of the state’s enrollment growth. And all of these districts and charters sit in or near Idaho’s urban areas: the West Ada, Boise, Bonneville, Vallivue and Twin Falls
- Charter schools get a boost in payments for buildings
- > Oct 13, 6:05 AM: Xavier received more than $194,000 from the state in 2015-16, money earmarked to help charter schools cover building needs. With expansion on hold, at least for the time being, Xavier uses its money to meet the everyday needs of a
- Vision Charter School breaks ground for expansion
- > Oct 12, 4:58 AM: Public charter schools in Idaho do not have access to the same bond or levy funding that district public schools rely on to build, remodel or expand their buildings. Instead, charters must rely on the private sector and nonprofits,
- Idaho lawmakers seek public input on school funding formula
- > Oct 11, 6:31 AM: The current formula does not accurately conform to the 2016 classroom — where students are more mobile and classes are delivered on high-tech platforms. With 115 school districts in Idaho and 47 charter schools, finding the precise
- Board mulls school options
- > Sep 21, 5:25 AM: Board members tossed around the pros and cons of opening a magnet school. The pros included providing a great education for kids, pulling kids from all over the district and the fact that other magnet schools in the district have
- Nampa receives, accepts charter petition
- > Sep 19, 6:48 AM: The Nampa school district’s Board of Trustees has unanimously approved accepting a new charter school petition. By accepting the petition to charter for Pathways Charter School, the Board of Trustees has agreed to consider
- IACS cuts ribbon for new school
- Aug 30, 6:42 AM: With big red scissors in their hands, executive director Jackie Collins and Idaho Arts Charter School trustees cut the bright red ribbon in front of the new school doors Monday afternoon.