- What's Right With Our Schools: Foothills Charter School gives students second change to graduate
- Feb 13, 7:08 AM: Educators in Milledgeville are giving students from all across central Georgia a second chance at their educational opportunity.
- Georgia legislation would give more money to state charter schools
- Feb 8, 7:24 AM: A proposal in the Georgia General Assembly would give more money to state charter schools, which get less money per student than traditional public schools yet must outperform traditional schools or risk losing their charters.
- Bill would give parents choice of school zone
- Feb 8, 6:03 AM: A new bill proposed in the state capitol, if passed, would give parents more freedom on where they send their child to school.
- Can new charter school succeed in the same building where one has already failed?
- > Feb 7, 7:27 AM: The site of a former charter school will become home to another one. Dream Academy Charter School plans to open in August at 151 Madison St., where Macon Charter Academy operated for a year until it was ordered to shut its doors in
- APS plan means some teachers may not keep jobs at struggling school
- Feb 7, 6:38 AM: Teachers at Perkerson Elementary School would need to reapply for their jobs under a proposal to reconstitute the school. The Atlanta Board of Education is expected to vote on the plan next month.
- Data-entry error costs Atlanta charter schools $2.3 million
- Jan 24, 7:53 AM: A data-entry error has a cost an Atlanta charter school operation $2.3 million, prompting a plea to Georgia lawmakers for help.
- Peach school district embraces flexibility, challenges of being a new charter system
- > Jan 24, 7:00 AM: Peach County was looking for more flexibility for its schools and found it in the charter system. The state approved the district's charter application in September 2016, and since then, leaders have been busy checking initiatives
- Gainesville may limit school choice in effort to balance attendance, provide more pre-K
- Jan 4, 6:19 AM: Gainesville school leaders are proposing to limit school choice in an effort to balance attendance at the city school system’s six elementary schools as well as provide pre-K at each school.
- Departing Atlanta school board chairman confident in course it set
- Jan 2, 6:55 AM: The school board chairman, who in 2009 at age 24 became the youngest candidate elected to citywide office in Atlanta, choked up as he bid farewell to the district to which he devoted his twenties.
- In Georgia schools: when takeover becomes ‘turnaround’
- > Dec 27, 6:47 AM: Low-performing schools -- “chronically failing” Georgia’s governor used to call them -- had been bedeviling leaders for a long time, at least since President George W. Bush signed the No Child Left Behind Act into law, and the
- Beaufort County School District plans school choice fairs
- Dec 27, 5:38 AM: The Beaufort County School District will accept school choice applications for the 2018-19 academic year, the fourth year of the district’s expanded choice initiative.
- Foothills Charter shows continued growth
- > Dec 26, 9:06 AM: Students attending Foothills, housed in Baldwin High School’s College and Career Academy, may come in to work as many days during the week as they want and learn at their own pace in a virtual setting. Learning is not strictly
- Once-vaunted Ivy Prep’s struggle illustrates charter schools’ challenges
- Dec 18, 7:13 AM: A charter school once heralded as a beacon for public education has fallen on troubled times, raising questions about its survival.
- Charter school transfer to Erskine approved
- Dec 7, 6:13 AM: Wicks said during a prior interview the change in authorizer will offer many benefits to the school’s students and staff that are not available to the school through the charter district,
- In 6-3 vote, Atlanta school board approves KIPP charter school expansion
- Dec 5, 7:05 AM: The Atlanta school board -- in a divided Monday vote during the last meeting before a new board takes over -- authorized a public charter school operator to add two new schools and grow enrollment by 1,100 students.
- Coweta Charter earns top CCRPI score among charters
- > Nov 27, 6:24 AM: Coweta Charter Academy in Senoia increased its school scores by 11 percentage points and earned a four-star climate rating in the 2017 College and Career Readiness Performance Index scores recently released by the Georgia Department
- Bloomfield charter school hopes to receive district’s approval after second application
- > Nov 21, 6:18 AM: The Bibb school board unanimously denied Bloomfield’s first petition in January 2016. Members cited a lack of details on fiscal and operational practices and the need for more clarification in some areas of the application. They
- Online public school teachers get creative to provide hands-on learning
- > Nov 14, 7:22 AM: Wendy Aracich teaches for Georgia Connections Academy, an online charter school. She’s passionate about teaching art and design, including 3-D printing. Her biggest challenge is making sure students actually get their hands on a 3-D
- What’s in store for Georgia’s lowest-performing schools?
- Nov 14, 6:16 AM: Georgia’s lowest-performing schools should know by the end of the year whether they’ll be subject to state intervention.