- Editorial: Arguments against school choice don't make sense
- > Sep 16, 5:17 AM: Listening to opponents of school choice is an amusing exercise — if, that is, you think it’s funny to hear people make all sorts of nonsensical, contradictory claims about why our children shouldn’t have access to the education that
- How the Alliance Academy is transforming 'the high school experience'
- > Aug 30, 7:39 AM: Now in its second year, Alliance Academy has only freshman, sophomore and junior students and offers six pathways — aerospace and logistics, criminal justice and law, hospitality and design, cybersecurity and digital intelligence,
- State commission OKs new Savannah charter school
- > Aug 30, 7:05 AM: About three months after the Savannah-Chatham County school board rejected a petition for a new charter school, the State Charter Schools Commission has approved the new school’s petition, giving the green light to its director,
- Petition for new online charter school with K12 Inc. denied
- Aug 29, 6:15 AM: One of the nation’s largest educational-service corporations has been denied an opportunity to operate another charter school in Georgia.
- Column: Debunking charter school myths
- Aug 28, 6:38 AM: A recent controversy over the state’s largest charter school is being cited, predictably, as evidence of a systemic problem. Instead, it illustrates why the system is working as intended.
- Column: Charter school controversy brings out lazy arguments
- Aug 26, 6:52 AM: A recent controversy over the state’s largest charter school is being cited, predictably, as evidence of a systemic problem. Instead, it illustrates why the system is working as intended.
- Grady BoE approves pact with charter school
- Aug 16, 8:03 AM: The Grady County Board of Education agreed to a Memorandum of Understanding with a charter school Tuesday evening that will create an alternative method for students to obtain a high school diploma.
- Parents learn an online school can be hard to reach in a crisis
- > Aug 12, 6:34 AM: The family in Swainsboro is among the many casualties of a rocky first week at Georgia Cyber Academy, where computers froze, email stopped working and student records disappeared just before school started last Monday.The public
- Chaotic opening day for some at Georgia online school
- Aug 7, 7:12 AM: The first day at Georgia’s largest online school was a frustrating one for Alexis Phelps, whose daughters couldn’t log in due to a legal battle between the school and one of its vendors.
- Parents at Georgia’s largest public school worried as opening day looms
- Aug 2, 7:09 AM: A private dispute between Georgia’s largest public school and the corporation that serves it has boiled over into public view, alarming parents who wonder whether their kids will be affected when school starts Monday.
- State approves seven new charter schools today
- > Aug 1, 5:58 AM: Today’s State Charter Schools Commission meeting devoted a lot of time to a discussion about delaying action on a petition for a new online charter school devoted to career tech. But there was other news. Seven new charters were
- New Innovation Academy to meet students personally and academically
- Aug 1, 5:37 AM: New students. Same building. New school concept. Richmond County School System will launch the Innovation Academy this school year. It’s a choice school that separates genders and meets students where they are.
- State Charter Schools Commission puts off vote on new online charter school
- > Aug 1, 4:51 AM: Today’s decision by the State Charter Schools Commission to table a vote on an online public school with as many as 8,000 students was the first time commissioners didn’t act on a staff recommendation on a proposed
- Column: Georgia weighs virtual charter schools
- Jul 31, 4:50 AM: Debate on whether Georgia should limit new charter schools in a bid to improve quality or whether the state authorizer should be more open to increase choice continues to simmer even as students are home for summer break.
- Roger Moss applies for state charter school for Savannah Exploratory Charter Academy
- > Jul 23, 6:29 AM: Supported by a group of passionate educators and businessmen, Roger Moss, a co-founder of Savannah Classical Academy and the Savannah Children’s Choir, has filed a preliminary application for a new state charter school that would
- Opinion: Georgia charter schools strive to perform
- Jul 22, 5:07 AM: In a guest column, Tony Roberts, president and CEO of the Georgia Charter Schools Association, says charter schools are an important facet of public education in Georgia and one that provides families both quality and choice.
- Staff urges charter schools panel to reject new online school proposal
- Jul 17, 6:15 AM: A proposal for an online public school with as many as 8,000 Georgia students faces an uphill battle for approval after an official review cited concerns about weak oversight.
- Column: When parents love their charter school despite its poor performance
- > Jul 17, 5:06 AM: I have heard from parents lately worried their children’s charter schools could close because of dismal academic scores. They understand the schools aren’t meeting the academic bar required in their contract, but say the program
- Extra effort paying off for some, not all low-performing Savannah-Chatham schools
- Jul 16, 7:04 AM: Double periods of reading at many low-performing Savannah-Chatham County public schools weren’t enough to lift them all from their status on the state’s list of schools requiring extra support.