- Tallahassee Classical School readies to welcome inaugural class
- Jul 2, 7:47 AM: While many schools are working to determine how best to re-open during a pandemic, one Tallahassee charter school is getting ready to open its doors for the first time.
- Who should get Florida school vouchers? The answer is not everyone | Editorial
- > Jul 2, 7:02 AM: School vouchers may make sense to rescue a poor child from a failing public school. But private schools that accept vouchers should be just as accountable for the quality of the education they’re providing with taxpayer dollars —
- Cure Violence survives DeSantis vetoes but KIPP charter school loses funding
- Jul 1, 7:03 AM: Line items wiped out by DeSantis vetoes included $2 million for the Knowledge is Power Program (KIPP) charter school in Jacksonville that had been untouchable in previous budgets when it came to vetoes.
- Schools reopening plan offers options
- Jul 1, 6:00 AM: Alachua County Public Schools are giving parents a choice as to how they want their children educated for the coming school year.
- Review & Outlook: Florida’s School Choice Blowout
- > Jun 29, 8:48 AM: Good news from Florida. Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday signed the biggest private school voucher expansion in U.S. history—giving families in Democratic, union-controlled states another reason to move to the Sunshine
- Gov. DeSantis signs Florida school vouchers expansion
- Jun 26, 5:42 AM: Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday signed legislation that will dramatically expand a voucher program that helps students go to private schools, the latest step in a two-decade push to expand school choice in Florida.
- DeSantis signs bill to raise Florida teachers’ base salary at Hialeah Gardens charter school
- Jun 25, 7:00 AM: Gov. Ron DeSantis announced on Wednesday in Miami-Dade County that he is increasing the base salary of Florida’s K-12 classroom teachers to $47,500.
- Digital Academy and Leon County Virtual School: What's the difference?
- Jun 25, 6:20 AM: Digital Academy, Leon County Virtual School, Florida Virtual School — parents in Leon County are wondering what the different options mean for their children.
- Commission Approves 9-12 Grade Charter School in Coral Springs
- Jun 22, 7:52 AM: Called Academic Solutions Academy, the school is slated for grades 9 – 12, and located on over three acres at 10044 NW 31st Street in Coral Springs.
- A New Charter School Plans To Open in Coral Springs Offering Alternative Education
- Jun 19, 7:12 AM: A charter school organization offering an alternative education to working students or those with family commitments got approval from Coral Springs this week to begin the process of opening a new high school.
- Charter “school of hope” plans a third location in Hillsborough
- Jun 18, 7:24 AM: IDEA, the Texas-based “school of hope” provider that is already on track to build four Hillsborough schools, now plans to add two more.
- From parental consent to school vouchers, DeSantis considers more than 7 dozen bills
- Jun 18, 6:31 AM: A bill that could help nearly 29,000 more students go to private schools was sent to DeSantis on Wednesday, as Republican leaders look to continue expanding voucher programs.
- Choice busing likely to be axed from the next Brevard school budget
- > Jun 18, 6:12 AM: The Brevard County School Board Tuesday discussed cutting the choice busing program from its proposed budget for 2021, a move which — while far from being final — provoked widespread consternation by parents on social
- More Volusia families are choosing virtual school. Is it right for you?
- Jun 15, 5:50 AM: Volusia’s online learning platform could see a sixfold increase in enrollment, as parents look for something they can count on during the coronavirus pandemic.
- A quarter of Bay District Schools students opt for online learning, says board chairman
- Jun 12, 7:22 AM: Despite Governor Ron DeSantis announcing a plan for on-campus learning this year, many Bay District Schools students still opt for online earning amid COVID-19.
- To support racial equality, make the classroom work | Editorial
- > Jun 11, 8:09 AM: So as protests involving Black Lives Matter focus a discussion about bias throughout American institutions — including educational inequity — it’s heartening to hear leaders in Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco and Hernando counties
- Voucher schools: You have no idea what you’re getting for your tax dollars | Commentary
- Jun 8, 6:09 AM: Because of a lack of accountability, Florida sends tax dollars and tax credits to failing voucher schools - schools that literally shut down mid-year, as Scott Maxwell and Sentinel staffers discussed in this 2018 case.
- Home schooling: A school choice for the new normal? | Opinion
- Jun 5, 5:58 AM: While many families have found stability and success through home schooling, it’s not for everyone. The only “right” way to educate a child is to use the options that work for an entire family.
- Reopening Florida schools must be safe, equitable, says teachers union panel
- Jun 3, 6:36 AM: Florida’s return to public schools must protect the health of all involved while also promoting the academic needs of children left behind during a hastily implemented period of remote learning this spring.
- Somerset Academy Engages Students During Distance Learning
- Jun 1, 7:34 AM: Like all schools in Broward County, Somerset Academy has been practicing distance learning for the past two months. During this time, they have managed to take the task on with a sense of urgency, innovation, and engagement.