- Delaware's SAT essay scores plummet as many colleges are dropping the requirement
- Aug 8, 6:42 AM: Three charter schools topped the state in English and math scores: Charter School of Wilmington, Newark Charter and Sussex Academy. They also did best on the essay.
- Here are the 7 charter schools at top and bottom of Delaware testing
- Aug 3, 6:33 AM: Two charter schools — Newark Charter School and Sussex Academy of the Arts and Sciences — rank among the most proficient in the state, according to state test results.
- Odyssey Charter School board struggles to cope after president Dimitrios Dandolos steps down
- > Jul 20, 7:43 AM: Odyssey Charter School parents and teachers have been packing board meetings this summer to question the hiring of a new co-administrator, the convening of committee meetings with little public notice and the resignation of a board
- Opinion: Charter and traditional schools don't have to be adversaries
- > Jun 28, 6:19 AM: But what if the purpose of charters was to provide a few examples of what could be accomplished statewide through traditional public school empowerment? What if we were to shift operational decision-making power (hiring, curriculum,
- Charter School of Wilmington educators vote to join Delaware State Education Association
- Jun 5, 5:53 AM: Educators at the Charter School of Wilmington voted last week to join the Delaware State Education Association, which will make it the only charter school in the state to be part of a union.
- Lawsuit: Delaware schools are leaving children in poverty behind
- > May 25, 5:16 AM: Giving students and teachers in so-called high-needs schools the support they need takes money, and a lawsuit filed by two civil rights groups — Delawareans for Educational Opportunity and the Delaware NAACP — demands the state
- 100 percent of MOT Charter School's first graduating class accepted to college
- May 4, 6:58 AM: The excitement was palpable at MOT Charter High School in Middletown Thursday, as students and staff celebrated the fact that every single one of the school's 111 seniors has been accepted into college.
- Opinion: Delaware's public school monopoly is holding students back
- > May 3, 5:09 AM: This is no surprise. Delaware children are stuck with the public school monopoly that their home address has been assigned to, unless they can afford to move to better districts or go to private schools. A few have the good fortune
- What national test scores do and don't tell us about Delaware (CER in the news)
- > Apr 12, 7:29 AM: Delaware continues to fall in the middle of the pack on national test scores and state officials can't explain the lack of improvement or why gaps between high-needs and white students are just as pronounced today as they were two
- Opinion: Vocational education is alive and well in our schools
- > Apr 4, 6:06 AM: One of the best-kept secrets in our public schools is the amount of vocational education programs available to our young people at this time. To the uninformed, one could form the opinion that the only programs presently available
- Unique plan pursued to save a struggling First State charter school
Having won approval Thursday for its survival plan, the Delaware Academy of Public Safety and Security now begins the real work of overcoming the biggest obstacle to its survival: recruiting 31 new students for the coming school >
Mar 19, 5:12 AM:
- Delaware public school district intervenes to save failing charter school
- Mar 5, 6:10 AM: The Delaware Academy for Public Safety and Security in New Castle, a charter high school founded six years ago to prepare students for careers in policing, firefighting and emergency response, is in serious peril.
- Program helps Wilmington kids get into top-tier high schools
- > Feb 27, 6:46 AM: A small, afterschool Wilmington program is helping low-income, inner-city middle schoolers apply and get into Delaware's best-performing high schools and programs. Before joining Leading Youth Through Empowerment, or LYTE, some
- Delaware Academy of Public Safety and Security asked to meet several conditions before charter is renewed
- Feb 21, 6:42 AM: The Delaware Academy of Public Safety and Security may be able to stay open next year if it meets several conditions recommended by the Delaware Department of Education's Charter School Accountability Committee.
- EastSide Charter School opens parents' horizons with free computers
- Feb 2, 7:11 AM: A Wilmington charter school is trying to bridge the digital divide by giving free computers to parents and connecting them to low-cost internet service.
- Report: Charter schools struggle to find and pay for facilities
- Jan 24, 8:02 AM: Charter schools in Delaware struggle to find suitable buildings and finance facility and construction costs, a new report says.
- Civil rights groups sue Delaware over education funding for low-income, disadvantaged students
- > Jan 17, 5:50 AM: The lawsuit also mentions racial discrimination and outlines the history of desegregation in Delaware. It contends that the Neighborhood Schools Act passed in 2000 and the Charter School Act has led to re-segregation in some
- DOJ backs state move equalizing tax money for charter, choice schools
- Jan 4, 6:14 AM: The Delaware Department of Justice is backing a Department of Education move to equalize the amount of local tax revenue charter and choice schools receive from students' assigned school districts.
- Sussex Academy receives state’s first 10-year charter renewal
- Jan 3, 7:25 AM: The Delaware State Board of Education granted Sussex Academy a 10-year charter renewal Dec. 14, making it the first school in the state to receive such a distinction.
- Group hopes to open Sussex County Montessori charter school by 2019
A group of Sussex County residents and Montessori proponents hope to open a new charter school in downstate Delaware by fall 2019, with the goal of serving at least 265 elementary students in its first year.
Dec 29, 5:54 AM: