- A charter school puts out the “Students wanted” sign
- > Sep 18, 6:25 AM: Perhaps it is the competition.The city is now home to six charter schools, a half dozen traditional high schools and a smattering of private school choices. Maybe it’s reputation. The Bridge Academy Charter School struggled enough
- Stemerman Wants School Choice Based on School Success
- Jul 16, 5:01 AM: Republican gubernatorial candidate and former hedge fund manager David Stemerman says the time has come to start rating schools based on certain criteria, and to dictate their funding.
- Letter: Parents have good reasons to homeschool
- Jul 11, 6:23 AM: Sadly, numerous surveys show that that the No. 1 concern driving parents into homeschooling is the unsafe environment of many public schools.
- Willimantic Charter School To Close, State Seeks Alternative Option For Students
- > Jul 10, 4:47 AM: Path Academy will be closing its doors this coming school year. The state Board of Education voted in June to begin the charter revocation process, but last week, the school's governing body decided to voluntarily surrender its
- Forum: It’s time to irrigate New Haven’s charter school deserts
- > Jun 22, 6:05 AM: Our organization’s new study, Charter School Deserts: High-Poverty Neighborhoods with Limited Educational Options, did just that. The lead author, assistant professor Andrew Saultz of Miami University, defined “charter school
- State working to revoke charter of Path Academy attended by 31 local students
- May 29, 5:19 AM: The state Board of Education made a rare move Wednesday, voting unanimously to start the process to revoke the charter of the Path Academy in Windham.
- Education Department Begins Process To Revoke Windham School's Charter
- May 24, 7:22 AM: The State Board of Education voted unanimously Wednesday to begin the process to revoke the charter of Path Academy in Windham, state education officials said.
- State Board Of Education May Begin Process Of Revoking Windham School's Charter
The State Board of Education is considering moving forward in the process of revoking the charter for Path Academy in Windham, after the state flagged "significant issues" with the school, officials said.
May 23, 7:05 AM:
- Student Apprenticeship Programs Open Doors To Manufacturing Jobs
- May 4, 6:14 AM: But the pre-apprenticeships have an even bigger impact on the students at Synergy Alternative High School, which serves students who are struggling in traditional academic environments.
- Two Fairfield County charter schools put on probation
- May 3, 5:35 AM: Vowing that the days of rubber-stamping charter school renewals are over, the state Board of Education put both a Bridgeport and Stamford charter school on probation Wednesday.
- Two local charter schools recommended for probation
- > May 1, 5:25 AM: State education officials are recommending shorter leashes for all four charter schools up for renewal this week. Two, New Beginnings Family Academy in Bridgeport and Stamford Academy are being recommended for probation when the
- New digital academy accepting all Norwalk students
- May 1, 5:01 AM: The academy was the brainchild of Karl and three other veteran teachers who wanted to create a collaborative space among students and teachers involved in the school’s journalism and media courses.
- Most GOP candidates for governor call for school choice
- Apr 20, 5:24 AM: Republican candidates for governor took a page out of their national counterparts’ playbook when they addressed education for the first time in a debate.
- New London shows off its magnet schools, works to attract more state funding
- > Apr 6, 7:12 AM: Thursday’s magnet school showcase was a chance for parents and their kids to explore the district’s magnet school options and for New London to highlight its work to become the state's first all-magnet school
- Letter: Too many unanswered questions about charter school proposal
- > Mar 22, 6:13 AM: I am a Danbury parent and taxpayer and proud supporter of the Danbury Public Schools. I am strongly opposed to a privately managed charter school in Danbury. We need and deserve local oversight for public schools, and yes we must
- Mary Wilke: Voucher bill doesn’t help all children
- > Mar 19, 5:48 AM: If you had $1 million and could use it to either improve your local public school for the benefit of all of its students or pay for a handful of students to attend private school, what would you do? The current school choice debate
- Report: Charter schools struggle to pay for inadequate facilities
- > Mar 19, 5:39 AM: Unlike traditional schools, PACE Career Academy, a charter high school in Allenstown, doesn’t have a prep kitchen, a band room, or athletic fields. Instead, it rents space at the Suncook Business Park in Allenstown, and makes do
- School choice lets wealthy families gentrify neighborhoods, avoid local schools
- Mar 19, 4:30 AM: When school choice is limited, lower-income communities with fewer people of color are more likely to see an influx of affluent residents. With additional school choice options, that relationship reverses.
- Dozens come out to support, question Danbury charter school proposal
- Mar 16, 5:45 AM: Dozens of local parents, teachers, nonprofit leaders and elected officials came out for and against the proposed Danbury Prospect Charter School at a state hearing in Danbury on Thursday night.