- Opinion: A Constitutional right to education would be a win for school choice
If the plaintiff’s claims are upheld in federal appeals court, education reformers could have another avenue for moving state school choice programs forward — an avenue that is desperately needed. Traditional public schools are >
Oct 22, 7:00 AM:
- Court to consider discrimination in state’s magnet school lottery
- > Oct 16, 4:55 AM: More minority students from the neighborhood couldn’t be let in because the school has to be integrated, meaning no more than three out of every four students could be black or Hispanic. That’s because University High is part of a
- Scores Suggest Personalized Learning Pays
- > Oct 11, 5:53 AM: For years, New Haven Public Schools have tried to shift the way classes are taught. Rather than covering the same material with the entire class, teachers are now expected to differentiate the lessons for a wide range of skill
- Feds toss out challenge of Connecticut choice law
- > Oct 10, 7:07 AM: The lawsuit was filed in 2016, arguing that state laws and policies, including a moratorium on the opening of new magnet schools and laws that restricted the opening and expansion of charter schools, forced students to remain in
- Appeal planned in Connecticut school choice lawsuit
- > Oct 5, 7:15 AM: A group of Connecticut parents and students intends to appeal after a federal judge dismissed most of its claims in a lawsuit challenging the state’s restrictions on magnet schools, charter schools and school choice
- Judge dismisses most claims in school choice lawsuit
- > Oct 4, 4:58 AM: A federal judge has dismissed most claims in a lawsuit challenging Connecticut's restrictions on magnet schools, charter schools and school choice programs, saying there is no fundamental right to equal education opportunity under
- Is state headed for another charter school showdown?
- > Oct 3, 6:16 AM: The last time the State Board of Education approved the education plan for a batch of charter schools vying to open in Connecticut, the schools quickly started enrolling students. "Enroll now! Accepting applications for grades
- Charter school gets the students it needed
- > Oct 2, 6:06 AM: The Bridge Academy reached its 280 student enrollment cap and won’t be losing any state revenue. The charter school picked up 13 students since it announced two weeks ago it was more than a dozen students shy of its expected
- A charter school puts out the “Students wanted” sign
- > Sep 18, 6:25 AM: Perhaps it is the competition.The city is now home to six charter schools, a half dozen traditional high schools and a smattering of private school choices. Maybe it’s reputation. The Bridge Academy Charter School struggled enough
- Stemerman Wants School Choice Based on School Success
- Jul 16, 5:01 AM: Republican gubernatorial candidate and former hedge fund manager David Stemerman says the time has come to start rating schools based on certain criteria, and to dictate their funding.
- Letter: Parents have good reasons to homeschool
- Jul 11, 6:23 AM: Sadly, numerous surveys show that that the No. 1 concern driving parents into homeschooling is the unsafe environment of many public schools.
- Willimantic Charter School To Close, State Seeks Alternative Option For Students
- > Jul 10, 4:47 AM: Path Academy will be closing its doors this coming school year. The state Board of Education voted in June to begin the charter revocation process, but last week, the school's governing body decided to voluntarily surrender its
- Forum: It’s time to irrigate New Haven’s charter school deserts
- > Jun 22, 6:05 AM: Our organization’s new study, Charter School Deserts: High-Poverty Neighborhoods with Limited Educational Options, did just that. The lead author, assistant professor Andrew Saultz of Miami University, defined “charter school
- State working to revoke charter of Path Academy attended by 31 local students
- May 29, 5:19 AM: The state Board of Education made a rare move Wednesday, voting unanimously to start the process to revoke the charter of the Path Academy in Windham.
- Education Department Begins Process To Revoke Windham School's Charter
- May 24, 7:22 AM: The State Board of Education voted unanimously Wednesday to begin the process to revoke the charter of Path Academy in Windham, state education officials said.
- State Board Of Education May Begin Process Of Revoking Windham School's Charter
The State Board of Education is considering moving forward in the process of revoking the charter for Path Academy in Windham, after the state flagged "significant issues" with the school, officials said.
May 23, 7:05 AM:
- Student Apprenticeship Programs Open Doors To Manufacturing Jobs
- May 4, 6:14 AM: But the pre-apprenticeships have an even bigger impact on the students at Synergy Alternative High School, which serves students who are struggling in traditional academic environments.
- Two Fairfield County charter schools put on probation
- May 3, 5:35 AM: Vowing that the days of rubber-stamping charter school renewals are over, the state Board of Education put both a Bridgeport and Stamford charter school on probation Wednesday.
- Two local charter schools recommended for probation
- > May 1, 5:25 AM: State education officials are recommending shorter leashes for all four charter schools up for renewal this week. Two, New Beginnings Family Academy in Bridgeport and Stamford Academy are being recommended for probation when the
- New digital academy accepting all Norwalk students
- May 1, 5:01 AM: The academy was the brainchild of Karl and three other veteran teachers who wanted to create a collaborative space among students and teachers involved in the school’s journalism and media courses.