- Downsizing at the LRSD
unusedor underutilized property. Poore said he's been informed by the state >
Sep 6, 6:11 AM:
That creates a potential problem for the district. Under a state law passed in 2017, a charter school operator can force a public school district to sell
- Opinion: Personalized education paths must still build on strong foundations
- > Aug 31, 6:41 AM: I have to be honest and tell you that there are times when I think education is in a mess because of too many changes. Then I realize that our world is in a time of real transformation, so some of the changes in education are valid.
- Hartford denied charter school
- Aug 24, 6:02 AM: The application for a proposed charter school that would have replaced recently closed Hartford Public Schools was denied last week, and there has been little conversation about any plans to move forward with the project.
- 3 more charter schools denied
- > Aug 17, 6:01 AM: The state's Charter Authorizing Panel on Thursday rejected three applications for new open-enrollment charter schools in Searcy, Pine Bluff and Hartford, increasing to six the total number of applications denied this week. One was
- Second-chance school gets charter panel OK
- > Aug 16, 6:28 AM: Arkansas’ Charter Authorizing Panel gave initial approval Wednesday to the proposed Premier High School of North Little Rock but rejected applications for three other open-enrollment charter schools planned for North Little Rock,
- State panel denies charter school application for Bentonville's Focus Academy, one other
- Aug 16, 6:15 AM: A state panel voted Wednesday to deny initial approval of charter school applications for the Focus Academy of Arts and Sciences in Bentonville and Pioneer Schools in North Little Rock.
- South Arkansas districts lose bid to block school transfers
- > Aug 9, 6:39 AM: Federal Judge Susan Hickey of El Dorado refused today to allow the Hope, Lafayette County, Junction City and Camden Fairview school districts to block student transfers for this school year under the state's expansive interdistrict
- Editorial: Here we go again
- > Jul 20, 4:41 AM: With a number of public schools failing their charges, our betters have decided to allow kids to flee the worst ones by establishing the Arkansas School Choice Act. Under that current law, a family can opt out of the local school
- School districts ask judge to halt student transfers
- > Jul 19, 6:49 AM: Two Southwest Arkansas school districts are asking a federal judge for temporary restraining orders on interdistrict student transfers until court hearings are held on whether such transfers would conflict with desegregation
- School-to-work programs score $13.6M in funds
- Jul 16, 5:38 AM: Twenty workforce training programs around the state will continue with the help of about $13.6 million in state Department of Higher Education grants to build stronger partnerships between schools and industry.
- Opinion: No more waiting
- > Jul 2, 5:24 AM: We cannot wait any longer. Whether it's expanding quality school options beyond the zoned school, expanding access to high-performing public charter schools or empowering families to customize a unique learning experience for their
- Area schools honored for ‘beating the odds’
- > Jun 27, 4:57 AM: At Pine Bluff Lighthouse Charter School, Renea Smith, principal over grades four through eight, stressed the importance of exposing students to hard-copy texts and other learning resources. She suggested that the presence of a
- Little Rock charter school’s revisions going to hearing
- > Jun 18, 6:25 AM: The Arkansas Board of Education voted 6-0 Thursday to hold a hearing on whether to allow the Friendship Aspire Academy charter school to open its Little Rock campus in August — a year earlier and in a different part of the city —
- Springdale charter school looks to improve
- Jun 4, 7:40 AM: Ozark Montessori Academy officials said they are focused on improving the academics that earned the charter school a D grade on this year's report card from the state.
- Bentonville charter school celebrates first graduates
- > May 21, 7:12 AM: Classical Academy graduate Houston White laughs as teacher Bruce Horswell shares personal stories during a graduation ceremony Sunday at Avondale Chapel and Gardens in Bentonville. Northwest Arkansas Classical Academy, a charter
- Friendship charter school clears first hurdle for 2018 start date in Little Rock
- > May 17, 6:40 AM: On Thursday, the Education Department’s charter authorizing panel cleared the way for Friendship Public Charter Schools to open a facility in Little Rock in fall 2018 — one year ahead of schedule — over the objections of Little Rock
- 7 schools set sights on 5 state charters; 3 proposed for Pulaski County
- May 7, 6:48 AM: Seven applicants want to set up new open-enrollment charter schools across Arkansas, but there's not enough room for all of them.
- Opinion: How Charter Schools Improve Student Outcomes
- May 1, 7:11 AM: Charter schools improve student outcomes because they bring competition to public schools. In many districts, there are not any schools, private or charter, other than the traditional public schools.
- Little Rock charter school's funding is focus of May hearing
- > Apr 30, 5:08 AM: The future of Rockbridge Montessori Public Charter School in Little Rock, in jeopardy of not having sufficient funds to complete this school year, will be the subject of a hearing May 16 before the state's Charter Authorizing
- Little Rock charter schools facing challenges for fall semester
- Apr 27, 6:52 AM: A Monday afternoon meeting of the Charter Authorizing Panel at the Arkansas Department of Education began to put one Little Rock school on notice and ended with another potential school rushing to get heard.