- Alabama Senate debates giving local tax dollars to charter schools
- Apr 25, 7:44 AM: The Alabama Senate today debated a bill that would allow local tax dollars to be diverted from established public school systems and follow the students to new charter schools.
- Sumter County school board asks judge to kick out integrated charter school
- > Apr 8, 7:19 AM: Eight months into the current school year, Sumter County’s Board of Education is still trying to kick out a charter school heralded as one of the Black Belt county’s first meaningful attempts at integrated schooling in
- Letter: School choice allows daughter to excel in online classes
- > Apr 3, 4:34 AM: This is all possible because our state Legislature supports school choice and public school options. I am forever thankful that our own representative, Terri Collins, is a supporter of my children’s school choice. Thank you for
- LEAD Academy registration numbers already above enrollment goal
- Mar 29, 7:10 AM: As LEAD Academy prepares to open Montgomery’s first charter school this fall, registration for the new school has already surpassed its enrollment goal of 360.
- Poll: Over 75 percent of Alabamians support school choice
- > Mar 27, 4:42 AM: In a poll of registered Alabama voters released Tuesday by the Foundation for Excellence in Education (ExcelinEd), 76.48 percent of respondents said they support school choice, or “giving parents the opportunity to choose where they
- Alabama overrules Birmingham, allows new charter school
- Mar 26, 5:12 AM: The Alabama Public Charter School Commission today overruled the Birmingham school board and approved the creation of a new charter school for the state’s largest city.
- Here’s how LEAD Academy will be different than traditional public schools
- Mar 20, 5:56 AM: Montgomery’s first approved public charter school will be a public start-up charter school. LEAD Academy leaders announced plans to open in August for the 2019-2020 school year during a press conference on Monday.
- LEAD Academy, Montgomery's first charter school, plans to open in August
- > Mar 19, 6:39 AM: More than a year after its first application sparked a lawsuit that wound up before Alabama's Supreme Court, LEAD Academy board members announced their intention of opening Montgomery's first charter school for this upcoming school
- Alabama Voices: Every child in Alabama deserves access to a quality education
- Mar 13, 5:41 AM: I firmly believe that every child in Alabama deserves access to a quality education that prepares them for a successful career and fulfilling life. But far too many students in Alabama do not have this option.
- Alabama Supreme Court rules in favor of LEAD Academy, overturns circuit court decision
- Mar 12, 5:09 AM: The Alabama Supreme Court ruled in favor of LEAD Academy, reversing the decision of a lower court regarding lawsuits that were filed by the Alabama Education Association.
- Teacher shortage hits hardest in rural Alabama
- > Mar 4, 8:31 AM: There have been many news reports in recent weeks about Alabama’s teacher shortage. State and local education officials say there are many reasons for the teacher shortage, and many, including state Superintendent Eric Mackey, are
- Plan for 4 charter schools in Montgomery stalls
- > Feb 20, 8:32 AM: Today was the deadline for the Montgomery Board of Education to approve a contract with the Montgomery Education Foundation to operate Sidney Lanier High School and three feeder schools for Lanier -- Bellingrath Middle School and
- Guest viewpoint: Four myths for Alabama Accountability Act
- > Feb 20, 6:26 AM: Gov. Kay Ivey recently proclaimed this “Alabama School Choice Week” and thousands of families are celebrating reforms created by the Alabama Accountability Act, including scholarships so low-income parents can transfer their
- New charter school could be coming to Tuscaloosa by 2020
- Feb 11, 6:39 AM: Even as she and others were organizing the Capitol School more than 25 years ago in Tuscaloosa, Barbara Rountree hoped the new school would become Alabama’s first charter school.
- Letter: Alabama Opportunity Scholarship Fund
- > Feb 7, 6:58 AM: For the past five years, she’s been thriving in a school where she is encouraged to get the best education possible. The scholarship has made it possible for my granddaughter to receive an education that will allow her to soar into
- Opinion: JeffCo school board votes to repeal AAA. Will Alabama teachers finally take a stand?
- > Feb 6, 6:37 AM: The Jefferson County Board of Education on Monday voted to pass a resolution calling for an end to the Alabama Accountability Act — the Republican-passed tax scam that funnels millions of dollars every year out of public school
- Alabama charter school commission adds new charter, expands others
- Feb 5, 6:24 AM: A new public charter school will open in the city of Tuscaloosa in fall 2020, approved by the Alabama Public Charter School Commission at its meeting in Montgomery on Monday.
- 17 years old? Don’t count on a public education in Alabama
- > Feb 4, 6:53 AM: Nix said he couldn't believe that Alabama county school officials had the right to deny him a public education solely based on his age. Nix took a job at the local yarn factory, but still yearned for that high school
- Charter school to open in west Birmingham
- Jan 31, 7:27 AM: Birmingham’s first public charter school has found a home. Legacy Prep, known as STAR Academy when it was approved two years ago, will be located in west Birmingham in the Daniel Payne Community Plaza.
- Why aren’t Montgomery’s charter schools following the rules?
- > Jan 31, 6:35 AM: When the Alabama Legislature passed the law allowing charters in the state, they spent some time putting together a written plan with steps that must be followed. Things like: any organization wishing to start a charter school must