- Montgomery County's first public charter school to open in August
- > Feb 13, 6:38 AM: The Alabama Public Charter School Commission Monday gave approval for LEAD Academy to become Montgomery County's first public charter school, in a 5-1 vote, with Commission Chairman Mac Buttram abstaining. Buttram said he abstained
- Parents voice concern at Huntsville City Schools town hall following bad state report card
- Feb 7, 8:50 AM: Superintendent Dr. Matt Akin revealed that chronic absenteeism was a major problem and told the crowd of roughly 150 parents, grandparents and community members that students can’t learn if they don’t show up.
- West Alabama charter school hires principal, approves budget
- > Feb 6, 7:52 AM: The opening of Sumter County's first public charter school took a few more steps forward Monday night, with the board of directors approving the hiring of the school's principal, a preliminary budget and a calendar for the 2018-2019
- First charter school in Montgomery? Public meeting held for LEAD Academy
- Jan 25, 6:08 AM: A Montgomery charter school hoping to be open by the fall semester held a public hearing Tuesday night at the building it hopes to occupy.
- New cyber, engineering magnet school coming to Huntsville
- Jan 12, 6:51 AM: A new magnet school focusing on cyber technology and engineering will be established in Huntsville, Gov. Kay Ivey announced during her State of the State address.
- Appeals court tosses Birmingham BOE lawsuit that seeks to block charter school
- Jan 8, 6:57 AM: The Alabama Court of Civil Appeals on Friday ordered a judge to toss out the Birmingham Board of Education's lawsuit that seeks to block the opening of a charter school in the city.
- Mayor eyes charter school 'feeder system' as state prepares to accept applications
- Jan 3, 6:33 AM: A feeder system of seven or eight charter schools occupying former Montgomery Public Schools buildings and ranging from elementary school to high school.
- Tax credit scholarship program needs community's help
- > Dec 29, 6:57 AM: The Alabama Opportunity Scholarship provides low-income families with more schooling options for their children, and now officials are asking for the community's help. Tax credits for this program expire on Dec. 31, and scholarship
- County school system seeks to enhance virtual learning
- Dec 19, 7:18 AM: The Tuscaloosa County School System wants to strengthen the expectations for its virtual learning curriculum.
- 'We're in big time trouble:' Charter schools, loss of accreditation possible for MPS
- > Dec 8, 6:52 AM: Interim State Superintendent of Education Ed Richardson has begun accepting applications for charter schools in Montgomery and said he has invited accreditation representatives to Montgomery to provide a status report on Montgomery
- City schools looking to delay school choice plan
- > Dec 6, 5:55 AM: On Tuesday, the Tuscaloosa City Board of Education held the first reading of delaying the implementation of an intradistrict school choice policy the upcoming school year. The plan, which was originally scheduled to take place next
- Schools of the future: Inside Alabama's virtual public school
- Oct 31, 6:08 AM: Instead of going to a school building each day, hundreds of students in Alabama are logging in to learn through an online public education system called Alabama Connections Academy.
- Univ. of West Alabama set to open new charter school
- Oct 27, 6:38 AM: The charter school affiliated with the University of West Alabama will open next fall with pre-kindergarten through eighth grades, but the school eventually plans offer high school programs as well.
- Parents shut out of Alabama's federal education plan, they say
- Oct 2, 6:56 AM: Parents of children with special needs are worried about a new federal plan for education in Alabama, and they say they are being shut out as the Oct. 12 deadline looms.
- Statewide virtual school enrolls 900 in inaugural year
- Sep 25, 5:11 AM: A statewide public virtual school for grades K-12 that’s partnering with Limestone County Schools has reached an enrollment of 900 after launching last month, school officials said.
- Black students talk about the achievement gap in Alabama schools
- Sep 20, 5:34 AM: They talk about how some teachers evaluated their educational success and character through the lens of racial biases and how the lack of opportunities for advance coursework can feed the achievement gap.
- Athens converting part of school to charter, ending inmate education
- Sep 18, 6:17 AM: Athens City Schools is converting part of its Athens Renaissance School to a conversion charter school, the first in Alabama, while it ends its program to educate young inmates.
- Charter schools or no charter schools? Roland Martin weighs in
- Aug 25, 4:40 AM: A gathering of the minds took place Thursday for change within Birmingham City Schools. Journalist Roland Martin was in town to lead the conversation and talk about School Choice.
- State denies application for charter school for jailed teens in 9-0 vote
- > Aug 22, 4:50 AM: Last month, the commission put its consideration of the charter school's application on hold after a review from the National Association of Charter School Authorizers found that the school's financial and education plans did not
- SPLC urges Alabama Public Charter School Commission to deny plan for jailed youth charter school
- > Aug 21, 5:23 AM: The Southern Poverty Law Center warned of "taking further appropriate action" against the Alabama Public Charter School Commission if it grants approval for an organization to run a statewide charter school operation for jailed