- Can appointed state school board raise Alabama’s national standing in education?
- Feb 21, 7:05 AM: Alabama voters will decide March 3 whether to move from an elected state school board to one appointed by the Governor. A yes vote on Amendment One sends the elected state school board home. A no vote keeps the board in place.
- Access to Montgomery's magnets, charters could increase for military families
- Feb 12, 9:28 AM: Legislators will hear about two bills aimed at increasing the number of educational options afforded to military families assigned to Alabama.
- New report offers advice for fixing state’s charter school issues
- Feb 6, 9:19 AM: Local school boards should have more authority in approving proposed charter schools and parents of students attending the charters should have a larger role on the schools’ governing boards.
- Opinion | Alabama Charter School Commission finally did its job
- > Feb 5, 8:09 AM: On Monday, the Commission voted to revoke the charter for Woodland Prep, the beleaguered charter school in Washington County, and it took steps to force LEAD Academy, the steadily failing charter in Montgomery, to provide the
- Alabama looks to shut down controversial charter school before it opens
- Feb 4, 6:31 AM: State officials for the first time voted to consider revoking a public charter school’s right to operate in Alabama, which could bring an end to a controversial school in south Alabama before it ever opens.
- Birmingham School Board denies charter school applications
- Jan 29, 6:46 AM: Birmingham School Board members voted to reject two charter school applications. It happened during a late special called meeting Tuesday night.
- MPS approves charter application for St. Jude campus
- Jan 15, 8:02 AM: LIFE would join LEAD Academy as startup charters in Montgomery. Three traditional Montgomery public schools are also slated to be converted to charters, starting with Davis Elementary in fall 2020.
- Opinion: Empowering every child in Alabama to succeed in school
- > Jan 14, 6:54 AM: In fact, the type of school environment where a child spends more than six hours a day can be life-changing. And, if children benefit from environments that tap into their strengths -- while nurturing and invigorating them -- that
- Community expresses support for new proposed charter school
- Jan 10, 9:13 AM: Montgomery Public Schools held a public hearing Thursday night to discuss a proposal by LIFE Academy to operate a start-up charter school in Montgomery.
- Opinion | Only one kind of ‘school choice’ matters
- > Jan 8, 8:43 AM: In reality, educational success is determined by resources. Which is why the folks who can afford it dump 30 times as much money into their school systems as the poorest districts that lack the resources. And that’s why the
- First LGBTQ-focused charter school could open in Birmingham
- > Jan 8, 8:12 AM: Two more charter schools are hoping to open in Birmingham, but they’ll need approval from the Birmingham school board. The community got a chance to learn about the schools at a hearing Tuesday at the Lincoln Professional
- From last place in math to more charter schools, the top Alabama education stories in 2019
- > Dec 30, 8:31 AM: All signs point to more charter schools opening in Alabama. The number of public charter schools doubled in Alabama, from two to four, when school opened in August. More charter schools are scheduled to open in 2021, including one
- Civics program helps students become 'Super Citizens'
- Dec 18, 9:23 AM: Students at Elkmont Elementary School studied what it takes to be a "Super Citizen" recently thanks to a traveling program focused on civics, financial literacy and recognizing community heroes.
- Opinion | Problems continue for Montgomery’s first charter school
- > Dec 17, 9:23 AM: As former LEAD Academy principal Nichole Ivey-Price prepares for another hearing in her ongoing wrongful termination lawsuit against the charter school, a number of current and former LEAD employees have told APR that the
- Opinion: Empowering Alabama With Education Opportunities
- Dec 12, 9:53 AM: Education is an amazing tool. It can transform the lives of both the young and old. A quality education empowers the powerless and provides opportunities in otherwise bleak circumstances. It can provide a path out of poverty.
- 'For most kids, this is the last chance': Mobile charter school targets at-risk teens
- Dec 12, 8:16 AM: Opened in 2017, the state's first charter school was designed to serve students who might drop out or already have, and the school could be a possible model for addressing students' needs in Montgomery.
- $18.3 million in tax credits for scholarship program unclaimed
- Dec 11, 7:29 AM: Contributions to Alabama’s K-12 tax credit scholarship program are way down, causing concern among some that the 4,000 students who attend private schools through the program might lose their scholarships next year.
- From car dealership to education: Trendy virtual school opens
- > Dec 11, 7:14 AM: The school with its online-based curriculum, part of a growing trend in the U.S., officially unveiled a new 22,000-square-foot home on Monday in Daphne. It’s believed to be the largest standalone building to house a virtual
- Alabama cyber school is seeking potential students
- > Nov 27, 7:05 AM: Gov. Kay Ivey announced the new school in her 2018 State of the State address. It will be similar in some ways to the state’s two other magnet schools - the School of Fine Arts in Birmingham and the Alabama School of Mathematics and
- 2 Alabama charter school founders chosen for fellowship
- Nov 26, 7:22 AM: Two Alabama charter school founders have been chosen for the New Schools for Alabama’s pilot program, the School Founders Program.