- How Alabama's new virtual school helped Montgomery student diagnosed with autoimmune diseases
- > May 25, 5:41 AM: Two months into her junior year at a Montgomery private school, several weeks after a three-vehicle crash left her concussed, and three years since she was diagnosed with two autoimmune diseases that would change the course of her
- LEAD Academy opening date hinges on Supreme Court ruling
- May 18, 5:57 AM: Montgomery’s first charter school's chances of opening in the fall received a blow when a local circuit judge ruled earlier this month that a vote to approve the school was invalid.
- ‘Inspiring’ students graduate from Wallace State’s Fast Track Academy/Fast Track for Industry programs
- > May 15, 6:21 AM: Both programs allow high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to simultaneously earn their high school and college degrees, meeting state requirements for high school graduation while also providing the general education
- Alabama Charter School Commission denies Bessemer school application
- May 15, 5:47 AM: The Alabama Public Charter School Commission today denied an application for a charter school in Bessemer and approved an application for one in Washington County.
- Opinion: Alabama Connections Academy principal reflects on first year
- > May 14, 6:16 AM: Throughout the school year we have strived to provide students with the tools they need to succeed and with the flexibility to learn at their own pace. As our first year comes to an end, I’d like to reflect on the many elements that
- What's Working: State's first charter school to graduate first class in Mobile
- > May 14, 5:47 AM: The school is called ACCEL Day and Evening Academy, and it's located in Mobile on Cottage Hill Road near Bel Air Mall. It opened last August. Nearly forty-five students will be wearing a cap and gown next week. The students came
- AL Supreme Court okays expedited appeal by LEAD Academy
- May 10, 5:55 AM: The Alabama Supreme Court has agreed to hear an expedited appeal from LEAD Academy after a judge recently ruled the commission that approved Montgomery's first charter school did so without having enough votes.
- Charter School Commission to appeal LEAD Academy ruling
- > May 3, 6:59 AM: Mac Buttram, chairman for the Alabama Public Charter School Commission, confirmed the commission will appeal a judge’s ruling that it didn’t have enough votes to legally approve Montgomery’s first charter
- Montgomery judge rules charter school approval invalid
- May 2, 6:42 AM: A Montgomery judge today ruled in favor of the Alabama Education Association in a lawsuit challenging the approval of the first charter school in Montgomery.
- Judge to make decision in AEA's Montgomery charter school lawsuit Tuesday
- May 1, 6:28 AM: A lawsuit filed by the Alabama Education Association against LEAD Academy, Montgomery's first approved charter school, is now at a standstill.
- $30 million in AAA tax credits already claimed for 2018
- > Apr 30, 5:49 AM: The Alabama Accountability Act, or AAA, in part created a tax credit scholarship program allowing low-income families to use donations made to a scholarship granting organization, or SGO, to pay tuition for their children to attend
- Richardson talks MPS student achievement, charter schools
- Apr 9, 4:53 AM: In a sit-down interview with WSFA 12 News, Interim Alabama State Superintendent Dr. Ed Richardson covered a number of topics concerning the status of Montgomery Public Schools, a system that remains under state intervention.
- Homeschooled children offered online school in Pike County
- Apr 3, 4:58 AM: For some local districts, virtual school is an option. It allows students to learn in a non-traditional setting. And now, one county is expanding the opportunity to include homeschooled students.
- Judge allows Montgomery’s first charter school to continue prepping for fall classes amid lawsuit
- > Mar 28, 4:57 AM: The Circuit Court of Montgomery has allowed LEAD Academy to continue recruiting teachers and students as it awaits an April 30 hearing which will determine the validity of its charter, as authorized by the Alabama Public Charter
- Alabama education chief calls out schools for not preparing graduates
- Mar 27, 6:51 AM: Alabama interim state superintendent Dr. Ed Richardson has called out more than 150 schools for not preparing their high school graduates to either go to college or begin a successful path to a career.
- Opinion: Montgomery residents should back charter schools
- > Mar 21, 5:46 AM: As we all know, Montgomery Public Schools faces many problems. Declining enrollment and poor performance are just two of the issues the entire city must face. Public education is the key to the future success of Montgomery as a
- Plan would convert Lanier, Bellingrath, Nixon, Floyd, Davis into charter schools
- Mar 20, 5:54 AM: If the Montgomery Education Foundation's charter school application is approved, five Montgomery public schools could eventually be converted into charter schools.
- Bill to make county school superintendents appointed advances
- Mar 16, 6:45 AM: County school superintendents would no longer be elected under a bill awaiting a final vote in the Legislature, unless individual counties vote to keep the position an elected one.
- Bill creating cyber tech magnet school in Huntsville advances
The House education budget committee this morning approved legislation to create the Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering in Huntsville. The public magnet school for grades seven through 12 would serve students from >
Mar 15, 6:22 AM:
- The extensive process of establishing a charter school in Alabama
- > Mar 15, 5:16 AM: In 2015 the Alabama legislature passed a bill allowing public charter schools in the state and created the Alabama Public Charter School Commission to oversee charter school applications. According to Logan Searcy, the Alabama State